Home Technical Talk

Animated, normal-mapped sprites in 3d environment?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
Has anyone experimented with animated, multidirectional and normal-mapped sprites for characters in 3d environment? Sort of like how the characters were done back in the Doom or Duke3d days but brought into modern day?

I am aware that similar techniques are quite often used in hardware accelerated 2D game these days, with multiple layers of sprites that are not only animated by their texture, but also morphed through fragment and vertex shaders and controller input.

There is also the 3D game "Don't Starve" that uses a similar technique, but still has a fixed viewport camera (can be statically rotated though).

But is there any examples in which the camera is freely movable, e.g. either 1st or 3rd person perspective?

The only game I could find that somewhat resembles this idea is "Wings of Saint Nazaire": http://www.wingsofstnazaire.com
But as a 3D space game that is obviously not quite comparable to a 3rd person RPG or such.

I think it could be a neat way of bringing pixel graphics into a 3D game, without going the voxel path (which IMHO isn't really comparable and somewhat higher resolution with complex animations are next to impossible with them).