Home Career & Education

Should artists looking for a first job be using Marmoset?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
ysalex interpolator
Pretty simple question, mostly self explanatory I think. Marmoset is easy to use and makes your work look great, but is it good for portfolio work? It requires no technical ability, and I'm wondering if it might leave a question mark in employers mind whether you will be up to the technical side of game art in a more complicated engine/pipeline.

Replies

• MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    yes, absolutely.
    ysalex wrote: »
    It requires no technical ability,

um what ?
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    What do you mean it requires no technical ability? It requires as much technical ability as UDK, CE3, Unity or anything else does to import a model. You still need to work with your lighting and materials, just as with anything else.

But I think I see what you mean, since marmo specializes in in good sharp presentation render and game engines don't typically match this quality it may be seen as "cheating". My answer to that is don't worry about it, good art is good art no matter where you choose to showcase it.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    MM wrote: »
    yes, absolutely.

um what ?

Really? I'm surprised. Seems to me that Marmoset requires almost no technical knowledge. Open it up, import a model, and assign your maps. Hard to see where the technical bits come in. Lighting etc. seems to be more artistry to me. Just the way I see it though.

Compared to a traditional renderer, where materials and shaders require technical knowledge of the rendering system and the way real-life materials work, using parameters like BDRF, roughness, IOR, and IMS lighting, global illumination to control lighting power, reflections and refractions, etc.

It's also not as easy to work in an engine like UDK or Cryengine as it is Marmoset, and requires marginally more technical knowledge or skill.

maybe I'm really off-base here. I suppose it's a good thing I asked.
  • Count Vertsalot
    You got it backwards. A game studio probably won't care if you can render something that looks good in Mental Ray or the like. Marmoset is a real time engine and they'll want to see if you can put something together in a real time engine. It doesn't matter if it's easy or not.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Yes, I wasn't suggesting it'd be better to use a traditional renderer than marmoset, I was merely comparing levels of technicality. My point was that compared to something truly technical, Marmoset is basically as easy as it gets.

Similar levels of technicality can be found in UDK or Cryengine, or other sources, particularly as PBS and PBL begins to trickle in. Perhaps it would have been better to use that in my analogy.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    a crappy art asset shown in marmoset is still crappy. dont get easily impressed by the good lighting right away, look closer and you will see the true quality of art despite of the lighting.

you still need good technical knowledge to make something look good in marmoset. just take a look at the material tutorials in marmoset website.

besides, majority of the marmoset renders i see out there have a distinct marmoset look to it that it is easily recognizable (not a good thing). this is also the case with majority of art shown in UDK or CryEngine.

marmoset has a good IBL system out of the box but texture need to be made according to make the best use of the shaders in there. also, skin shading is not super easy in Marmoset to get right easily.

UDK has a great node based setup where you can pretty much make any kind of shader with minimal technical knowledge as well. lighting is a bit more tricky though. however, skin shaders are easier here to setup quickly without making extra skin tone maps.

Cryengine offers really nice skin shader among other things right out of the box, but once again lighting is more tricky here. metal shaders are also quite easy and the control on gloss with blurred reflection allows for more quality more easily which is not possible in most of the other engines.

so every engine has its strong and weak points.

if you are a hiring manager or a lead in charge of hiring then you should be able to see the true technical quality of the work despite of the render engine it is shown in.

also, some of the things you mention above are for offline rendering such as IOR for reflection or refraction, GI, etc. offline rendering obviously should be a separate topic. for any offline render you will need lot more technical knowledge depending on what render you are using. for example, renderman or arnold any of the other third part render can be more technical than regular out of the box mental ray.
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    It depends on what you are applying for. If you are going for a modeler/texture artist you are showcasing your model and your textures. You are not showcasing your shader or ligthing work. If you are going for a lighter position that would be another story.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Alright, fair enough. I wasn't sure, but I thought this might go the other way, so I'm glad I asked.
  • poly_bob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poly_bob polycounter lvl 3
    I personally think you should be using UDK at least on 1 or more pieces. Just to show that you know how to use a game engine. As your first job, you're going to be working with an engine a lot. Even though you're an artist.

I just got hired and I was told that my art was really good and it was a huge plus that I put my environment into UDK.

I also highlighted some of the assets in my environment using marmoset.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I use Marmoset for previewing and final presentation, its just a lot easier than trying to get an asset looking good in UDK. I always found with bringing stuff into UDK it would always look poop :D
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Honestly, its the same thing as asking "should i use Max or Maya to get a job?"

The end result is what matters - you could render the most beautiful scene in Quake 2, and it'd have more of an impact than an ugly marmoset, cry3, udk, etc image. That is an extreme example, key point is your art needs to shine and show well. If Marmoset is the answer, awesome. If not, maybe udk or cry3 is? Don't box yourself in by thinking you must show something in x,y, or z - your art is the star, and the rendering tool is the delivery for your vision.

Play with all of the tools and find what suits you, Marmoset makes some pretty images, but you can also get pretty images out of other things too.

Knowing UDK or Cryengine and showing it would have more impact for your tool knowledge, but in the end tools can be taught, raw talent and a good eye is much harder to teach.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    This question came up in the hangouts once too; before then I hadn't considered that showing in a game engine such as UDK might have a benefit over marmoset. To an extent it does demonstrate some technical knowledge I guess, although I doubt you'd need more than one of your assets/projects in a game engine to get this point across.

Maybe showing the same asset in multiple engines could be interesting, athlough that probably borders on time waste.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    marmoset even require less technical knowledge than mental ray to get good render wkk :D

lucky u guys who live in this gen, :3 go use it by any means. marmoset, cryengine, udk , vray whatever

but still ,marmoset will give you more hard time than good if you want to do full environment portfolio.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I think it really depends on what you're trying to show. Most of the renders in my portfolio are from Marmoset simply because it is easy to set up some renders. And I think for static props or quick shots that is just fine. For full out environments I typically use UDK as I want a little more oomph out of my materials or animations.

If the method doesn't really matter, use whatever shows your work off the best. Having the technical knowledge of an engine is a plus, but at the end of the day you're selling your image as best you can.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    ysalex wrote: »
    Marmoset is easy to use and makes your work look great.

i've seen some not so great work come from people who just toss their model in marmoset, fiddle with some materials and slap a polaroid post process on there with some god awful chromatic aberration. in the end its just a tool and good art will look like good art no matter where you put it. also marmoset is moving into the world of PBR so in some cases it may be even more beneficial to use than udk if you're just doing model presentation.

1002350_398686470231642_1956037389_n.jpg

personally i dont really like presenting single models in udk or cryengine just because its a bit too much to do for such a little result. granted there are some great results that come out of both engines but ultimately i think if you've got a single model (character, vehicle, etc) without really anything else going on.. nothing wrong with marmoset for showing it.
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    Oniram wrote: »
    in the end its just a tool and good art will look like good art no matter where you put it.

And there it is.

I used marmo for my portfolio when I got my job. /me shrug. If your potential employer freaked out that you used marmo I would worry more about them than your portfolio.

It's a game engine, its' got legit as balls shaders, and its easy to setup. They should be trying to emulate them if anything.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Just please don't use the polaroid post. That's all everyone uses when we see applicants. Make your own post filter. :D

But in the end, Using Marmoset to render out single props and meshes is totally rad and fine!
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    moof wrote: »
    It's a game engine, its' got legit as balls shaders, and its easy to setup. They should be trying to emulate them if anything.

+1! really good point!
  • jeffdr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffdr polycounter lvl 11
    I would just like to say that I like that this thread exists.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As someone who just finally tried/learned Marmoset in the last few weeks, this thread briefly concerned me. 'Cause Marmoset is awesome.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    why not just use the marmoset plugin for unity? (skyshop)
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    why not just use the marmoset plugin for unity? (skyshop)
    Sure, if you hate dosh. (Skyshop is $125, Toolbag license is $59)

If you're going to be using Skyshop anyway then that's not a problem, but otherwise you're going out of your way just to avoid a (seemingly unlikely) problem in the future.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Bek wrote: »
    Sure, if you hate dosh. (Skyshop is $125, Toolbag license is $59)

If you're going to be using Skyshop anyway then that's not a problem, but otherwise you're going out of your way just to avoid a (seemingly unlikely) problem in the future.

Why pay for marmoset at all? Writing your own shader is free.
  • Joe March
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joe March polycounter lvl 11
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    Why pay for marmoset at all? Writing your own shader is free.

You could but... why?
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    My take on it is why not? The only real loss you get from using Marm instead of UDK/Cry is the shader network stuff. Actually getting the mesh into the engine is just the same as for getting it into Marm, Aswell as setting up lights and what not.

I'd say get one model into UDK to prove you know how (although I really don'
    t think it matters in the end.) Learning an editor is a fairly simple process if you're a modeler / prop guy.

Import mesh, use supplied premade shaders, hook up textures, insert parameter. Win.

If you're an environment guy however suddenly it waaaay more important, but in that case you should be using an editor as Marm is probably not to good of a choice for setting up an environment in. Could be a nice choice to show the environment shots in editor and some specific objects you're proud of in Marmoset.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Props/Characters Marmoset is great. Full environments? UDK/Cryengine. Having a mix of things in different engines and presentation methods shows you are versatile and can learn new tech easily (which might be a plus for some places). I like Marmoset cause it's just easy. It takes me 10 mins to create a decent looking set up that would take me 30 mins- 1 hour in UDK. That allows me more time to work on the art. Which is really the goal, improving as an Artist.
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff polycounter lvl 11
    This thread answered a big question that I was recently asking myself.
    Thank you guys.
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 6
    This thread makes me so unsure what to use, so i will use both, i mean actually it is the "hard" part to get al the meshes and textures right. Set it up in marmoset/unreal is not soo time consuming right?

so i think when i have the possibilities, it is not wrong to use both right? i mean it will provide the portfolio not? What do you guys think?
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    If you start or need to ask which one you should use then you likely should use marmoset or rather engine renders

Using your own node based shader in unity / unreal is a bit more impressive but looks similar if not a bit worse, depending how much you take the advantage of the engine and spin an environment around it. Marmoset is a great value in terms of quality for given speed and effort. 

If you are going into the "im an artist using 3D, not a 3d modeller" route at a higher seniority, you don't care about wires, textures, bakes and whatnot, you show off your one beauty render in perfect composition in a fashion that nobody dares to question your technicality, and then you use the best and the brute force, and that is offline. 

The guy above in the marmoset render has a car of equal model quality and could surely model the houses in the bottom below as well, (although he likely wouldn't design his own car on such level). Learn the tools you need, the end result counts. Go the extra 40% on your model and you can probably spare the next 5. 

Just needs the right approach and attitude to your portfolio work. 
    If you are at that level, Be an artist, not a prop creator and sell yourself accordingly.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Talk about raising a thread from the dead  :D

What perplexes me is people putting the Marmoset icon in their renders. I understand its to show off that the model is rendered in 'real time', but mentioning it was used in the description should be enough, and the icon kind of takes away from the quality of the image. My two cents anyways.
  • Nick_Medukha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick_Medukha polygon
    Hey guys! I have a similar question. I aim for the modelling game-ready assets, but for the moment I render them in cycles, which is ray-tracing renderer. Would it be ok to render them in blenders new Eevee render which is real-time? As I am new to 3D I don't want to invest in learning Unity or UE4 at this particular moment nor spending money on pricy Marmoset
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Yes, no worries
  • Spag_Eddy