Home Technical Talk

Upgrading tablet

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Brandon Kern polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys, trying to decide between getting an intuos 3 9x12, an intuos 4 Large, or a cintiq 13hd.

Right now I have an intuos 4 medium, but feel like I've outgrown it.
My main focus at this point is 2D which is why I want the upgrade.
I use my intuos 4 medium on mouse mode on a low sensitivity so I can use my shoulder to draw, but it's limited.

I can get an intuos 3 off some guy for 180 bucks next week, or spend 300 bucks on a large intuos 4. My current tablet costed me 400 bucks like 2 years ago, brand new.

Can I get polycount's opinion?

Replies

• huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    I have an intuos 4 M and I would sell it and get a cintiq 13 HD (if it only had touch too) plus an intel NUC for a small setup that I can carry with me (that new Wacom mobile tablet PC seems too limited and with no upgrade paths). The 13HD is the only Cintiq worth it, because of the high dpi of the display (which should be a must since you get close to a cintiq).
  • kritskiy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kritskiy polycounter lvl 10
    I won't agree that the 13HD is the only Cintiq worth it. The DPI is amazing, but small size limits accuracy. I'm using 13HD for 3 months and that is an amazing device, but work with 22HD was more pleasing. Also 22HD/24HD allows you to control brightness/contrast and 13HD not. I had 22HD for half a year, but sold it because I move between several countries every 3 months and 13kg + huge box of 22HD was inconvenient: 13HD is amazingly mobile.

Considering Intuos vs Cintiq in my opinion you should try Cintiq before thinking of buying it. I know a lot of people who hates work with it, a lot who loves. I myself thought that this is a stupid device for a long time before I tried. Now I would never return on Intuos.

And Intuos 4 in my opinion is better than 3 but again, I know a lot of people who hates Intuos 4 and 5 rough surface.
  • CrucifiX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a nooby question, I wonder if you guys don't feel like extremely disconnected, drawing on a pad and the result appearing on a screen.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    You get used to it the same way you get used to moving a mouse and having a cursor move on your monitor.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I use an Intuos 3 9x12 at home and at work. It's a great tablet. I'd like a Cintiq but I'm not shelling out that kind of cash on a monitor anytime soon. ;-)
  • CrucifiX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, with a mouse, you have constant feedback as to where the pointer is, right now. I assumed it was not the same with a pad?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    With a tablet the screen can be and is normally mapped to the screen positionally so if you completely pick up the pen and touch opposite corners the cursor will do the same.

If you don't install the drivers or you change a setting, it can move like a mouse.

You can also bind a button to switching what monitor the tablet is mapped to.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    I recently chose between Intuos 4 Med wireless and a cintiq. First week I REALLY wanted to return the intuos and drop for the cintiq. Given a couple weeks, I adjusted. Now, I don't think a 13HD would be all that good of an idea.
    For texture work and the mobility, Intuos 4 is awesome. My main computer ("desktop") is a Sager custom, so i'm always on the move. I don't have to take a single cable with me, No power needed. I could be at a park bench and light up a sketch!

Not to mention the cintiq woulda broke me. So extra spending money is nice too :) I'd recommend the intuos 4. I'd only go cintiq if i could get a 22/24
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    CrucifiX wrote: »
    Well, with a mouse, you have constant feedback as to where the pointer is, right now. I assumed it was not the same with a pad?

Nope the tablet always tracks the pen, at least the Wacom tablets do, I am not sure about cheaper ones. But the tablet tracks your pen about 2 inches above the surface, and then when you make contact with the surface it registers the pressure.
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    I was using intous 4 for many years and recently got cintiq 22hd. I must say that the line quality is now a lot better and I can make better sketches more quickly. Also I tried cintiq 24 hd but I dont recommend it since it is very very heavy and you cant rotate it 360 angle like 22 hd.
  • Krypteia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wacom will reveal their new mobile tablet solutions tomorrow, if you want to wait and see some further options. Guaranteed to be more expensive then your current deals - but it might provide a good solution.

All signs are pointing to, basically, a standalone Cintiq 13HD. They have a Windows and Android version releasing - the Android version might be able to be plugged in and used a regular Cintiq with a normal pc. No word on whether the Windows version will have the same functionality, but it will have an i7 processor and run full versions of software (Windows 8 ).

Wacom Creatives Europe has been running a weekly comic strip that's slowly been revelaing more details about the tablet, just look through all of the "Top Secret" albums on their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/WacomCreativePros/photos_albums