Home General Discussion

Making pixel art in photoshop

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Chase polycounter lvl 9
So I've taken up making photos into pixel style art using beads. There's some really great examples out there. I'm having issues with getting the size I want the design to be. Maybe I'm just over thinking again. Here's the break down of what I've done....

I scaled down the image til I got the pixel look that still retained enough detail. Originally the image was 576x673 pixels which roughly equals about 8x9.3 inches. Rescaling it to 128x150 pixels makes the image itself 1.7x2 inches. Then I add the guides to divide up the reference into quadrants to make viewing the pixels easier.
i3f8.jpg

Now we get to the issue. If I want the design itself to be a certain size I can't adjust that without affecting the pixelation I wanted in the first place. One pixel = 1 bead. As it stands 128x150 pixels means I'll be using 128 beads across and 150 down. The peg board I'm using is about 10x10inches and comprised of about 3300 pegs so you can see why the size of Spidey vs the peg board is an issue. It's a vicious circle :poly142: Just to give you an idea of the size I'm going for I want it to be poster size. That's about 20x30inches. Maybe I just use the Pixilazation filter after I size up the image I want the design to be?

SOLUTION FOUND - I just needed to select Nearest neighbor to retain the hard edges of the pixels in he image size settings. Its was on Bicupic so it it kept wanting to retain a smoothness when I upscaled it. Silly me.

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Even tho you solved your problem already, I just thought I'd add my two cents in case this helps you further down the road.

Basically :
    Originally the image was 576x673 pixels which roughly equals about 8x9.3 inches. Rescaling it to 128x150 pixels makes the image itself 1.7x2 inches

... doesn't mean anything :) The original image being 576x673 doest *not* roughly equals to 8x9.3 inches - you could bring that original JPG to a poster printing company and ask them to print it the size of a building and there would be no issue.

If you want to work with clean pixels (one peg = one pixel), simply make a blank PSD with the proper amount of pixels in width and height, and drag that original picture in. Then scale it down, and you're done !

If you want to use the nearest neighbor "look", simply scale down that original image separately, then drag it inside that pixel-perfect PSD. But you'll have cleanup to do anyways. One good trick is to convert your image to indexed colors with the desired number of hues based on the real life colors you have available. Then clean up.

For reference you can then print that pixel perfect template at any size you want - simply type in the desired printing dimensions in inches in the image size dialogue, turning off "resample image".

If your pegs are not square, then you have to work with the display ratio options in photoshop. That way you can have a source image made of perfect pixels, but displayed with a desired distortion amount.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the reply Prior! What I came to realize was that since each pixel equals a bead I just need to determine how many pixels horizontally and vertically I want it to be. Thatll determine how big the design ends up being. I know now that only the pixels matter and not the dimensions in inches haha. I was way over thinking asssssss usual :-P

About the printing. I'm not sure I'm following. If you adjust the image size for printing doesn't that defeat the purpose of setting the image size in the first place? When you mess with the image settings whether in the inches box or pixels box, one will effect the other. Unless that's what tuning off resampling takes care of....just wanting to understand haha.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, turning off resampling basically allows you to type in a desired physical/printing size without affecting the actual pixels of the image :) For instance, I could open your TMNT avatar in photoshop, turn off resampling in the image size options, and then simply type "30 inches" in the desired output size. None of the pixels would be affected or scaled - this would just inform the printer that this tiny gif now has to be printed 30 inches wide.

Hope this makes sense !
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Oh I didn't even know that haha. The only difference between turning resample off and using nearest neighbor, besides the upscaling with nearest neighbor, is turning off resample doesnt actually affect the image. Messing with the image size with resample still checked will litterally shrink or grow the image, which could be bad if you arent wanting that. I always thought the initial document size mattered for printing. Seems like that's not the case haha
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep :) For some reason there is a lot of misunderstanding out there about the image size options, and the meaning of "dpi" in general. Maybe there should be some sort help popup or quicktip showing up the first time someone opens the dialog ... Oh well. Now you know :)
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Everything makes sense :-D