Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Abandoned Stairwell - W.I.P.-

Rhoutermans
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
Latest:

b5de.jpg

I'm always one to start too ambitiously on a big concept/ environment and never finishing it, so this time I decided to keep it small and simple, saw this one passing by during the monthly noob challenge and I just picked it for myself ;)

hd5m.jpg

Goal is to work on this every day after office hours and have something cool in a couple weeks. Any and all feedback welcome!

Concept:

hofy.jpg

Replies

• st0kje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    st0kje polycounter lvl 4
    I'm always one to start too ambitiously on a big concept/ environment and never finishing it
    Same with me haha
    Cool concept, the scale of the scene feels good, maybe one little little point is the arch, in the concept it seems a bit rounder at the top.
    Good start!
  • Adam_Jarvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam_Jarvis polycounter lvl 3
    Like the concept, good atmosphere. Would suggest a lot more rubble and debri on the floor. Stands out as being way to clean!
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    st0kje same here :D:D

The floor is not tile perfectly. The concept is very interesting, and the light + diffuse on the wooden floor could be tricky. But it's early WIP.

Subscribed !
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    So far, i like, it took me a minute to figure out that the second image was the concept, which is a good thing. Go and show us more.
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    Good job nailing the look and atmosphere, even at this early stage! Looking forward to how you progress!
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    The normals on your floor look really soft and muddy to be wood. They look flipped too? I agree with the curvature in the arch too.

Looks like a fun concept though. Looking forward to seeing your progress
  • keffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I very much love where this is going dude should be sweet once it is done
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips all~

st0kje > I'll fix the arch next, rounder is the way to go :)

Adam_Jarvis > Defo! I'll probably do some projecting decals or maybe even some geo for the random crap on the floor~

Mr Significant > Thanks! Been trying to do some smaller concepts to scenes lately and it's really more motivating for me to keep working

peanut™ ,Auldbenkenobi, keffer > tyty!

leleuxart > Agreed, the floor's kinda bad so I made a new one. (tbh that first one was just a cgtextures copy/paste).

Update, replaced the floor and started working on the wall texture. Did some checking into color LUT with UDK too, lots of fun!

maybe some more tonight!

f6k5.jpg
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The stair treads & risers should really be two separate pieces. Also, the treads appear to overhang the risers by a small amount (an inch or two).
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    For some reason that image isn't displaying for me. Any idea why?
  • Drew++
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drew++ polycounter lvl 14
    sweeet! This was actually used in some Lighting Challenge on 3Drender.com! Offline renders of course. Really cool to see it in real-time.
    http://www.3drender.com/challenges/
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DWalker > Thanks, they're still just blockout stairs which cound't have been done any lazier, but I'll keep it in mind :)

CandyStripes05 > ty :)

PogoP > I've re uploaded them on imageshack, hopefully you can see em now, really weird haven't had that happen before.(maybe try a hard refresh?)

Drew++ > This is awesome! Gave me some inspiration :) Thanks!
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update, still messing around with the lighting as always. Also updated the arch-shape and added some torn wallpaper (Still need more texture definition on the wall).
    Thanks for the feedback so far, keeps pushing me forward :)

sw6k.jpg
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back from vacation, getting back to work!

pw42.jpg
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice start! I've always loved this concept. Following...
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ty :) Some more textures~

5qcr.jpg
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still needing some feedback on the windows/ lighting and just in general:

Got some planks done:
    f356.jpg

Update on the stairs
    19w4.jpg

The stairwell/ windows, not sure yet how to handle the glass /backdrop
    6frw.jpg

And the overview
    t3mv.jpg

Really hoping to finish this in a short bit and adding it to my portfolio :)
    Thanks for checking it out!
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    calling it done then
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    id like to see a lightshaft coming in from the top, so u can see all the particles flowing around.

It just sshows that this place is old and dusty
  • Trevelyan .
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trevelyan . polycounter lvl 11
    Hey man, didn't realise you had a thread going, thanks for stopping by my corridor scene, thought i'd check yours out and offer up some feedback if you're interested :) Mainly looking at the concept and your matching camera angle:

- Specular - I guess the main thing that stands out is that the scene (like mine was!) is still feeling a little 'dry'. I know it's an old dusty scene but a little more specular here and there, perhaps on the floor boards or in the form of damp streaks on the wallpaper might really help sell those materials. Look at the surface of the broken planks on the right of the concept - they reflect the blueish hue from the main light source, perhaps you could use this as a guide when matching your own broken plank specular...this could work well in conjunction with...

- a stronger light source - in the concept you have this great blue, soft light that really draws the eye and gives the scene that cold, lonely, desolate feel. Your scene seems to be lacking that blue hue and adding a stronger light source in coming from that main window would also allow you to get a nice soft shine on the wooden floor like in the concept (and pick out some damp streaks on the wallpaper as previously mentioned).

Ambient light - if you were to boost this a little it will help remove the dark portion of ceiling above the light in your image. Looking at the concept you can see the wooden beams there as well as the glass material of the light bulb glinting slightly in the light - this might be a nice chance to get a cool glass shader in there and let the newly added light in your scene play off it's surface.

- Camera FOV - I'm only really looking at your overview shot here, but quickly comparing it to the concept you can see that your field of view is not quite so acute as the concepts. The concepts FOV/perspective gives the structures a taller feel, like the arches are looming over the viewer with an ominous feeling. It also allows the camera to be futher into the scene which lets the two pillars frame the shot nicely. Increase your FOV, lower the camera and point it up a little, use the pillars to frame the shot and this will really help make it more dramatic and striking.

I hope these critiques might help you keep working on these scene just a little longer and if you draw a line under this one, maybe they'll help with your next :) Keep up the good work!
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trevelyan > Read through it, some great feedback there! Will make a proper reply in the morning, getting late here :)

I'll also try to experiment with the light / dust particle stuffs :)

Just wanted to post an update on the floor and wall material, added in some spec/gloss and hoping on revamping it all in the following days:

img removed
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trevelyan, thanks for the reply!
    The specular is something I'm working on at the moment, applying proper materials to everything, made a master material with controls for diffuse spec and gloss/normal.

The lighting still looks weak, more towards the purple instead of the blue-ish from the concept. I really like the more softer lighting, but for me atleast it's pretty hard to achieve without it looking boring. But will spend another day or two on lighting and see where that gets me :)

I did boost the ambient light so everything is atleast visible, still looking into post processing to get some more towards the concept.

Agreeing about the pillars making a frame for the shot, will try to go for that.

Some weird stuff going on with imageshack links..
    This one seems to work tho:

89g7.jpg
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - Redid the lighting
    - Added a new wall material
    - Changed specular for the floor/wall
    - Redid the lighting
    - Added a soft lightshaft
    - Fixed the lamp model/ Material
    - Added fog to get closer to the concept
    - Proper spec mat on the arch

0twl.jpg

Still adding a lot more small stuff, and thinking about replacing those stairs. Thanks for the hints so far, still gonna put a few more hours into this!
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - Cam FOV / res fixed
    - Redid the wiring/ mounted it to wall
    - Working on post processing

lgf2.jpg

Still trying to push forward :)
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I think the concept has a higher FOV, so we're seeing less of the hallway. The new colors are better, but I think you're missing that grittiness. You could probably achieve that with a texture overlay in post-process, as well as some more particles. Some dust painted into the textures wouldn't hurt either.

Besides the grittiness, the lighting could use some work. Your lit area is lacking contrast and some of the stark white spots.

Still nice work though. I've enjoyed following along so far :thumbup:
  • Endfinity Jon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endfinity Jon polycounter lvl 8
    This is coming along nicely, Rhoutermans.

I've looked at the concept, and I'm not sure if you're going for a 1:1 re-creation, so I have a few general suggestions that might pull you away from it a bit. If you're going for a direct replica, take from my suggestions what you will.

I think you need to re-balance the staircase wall texture. Because it's so close to white, it's picking up light more intensely than most of the other scene elements. The light that's splashing back upward toward the staircase landing is pretty intense too. When you focus on the landing and staircase, it's hard to believe this is happening at night. To me, that area feels a little disconnected from the rest of the scene.

I'd try to introduce some tighter attenuation in your lights so they falloff a bit more and we get some more light gradation. I think a gradient going up your back wall would realistically support the lighting and the creepy mood. With the 1st impact of the key light hitting the floor, you'd have more bounce heading toward the camera and less going directly away and up the wall. I'm not sure what your setup looks like, so whether you have a few lights or just one directional/spot, try to see if you can't splash less light back onto the staircase (fixing the texture will help too).

You could also try working a gradient from the back of the image to the camera. For what it's worth, you could try to add a touch more intensity to the light (so the impact is a bit hotter) but have the indirect scale down a bit more, or the number of bounces lowered by 1 in the world properties. Doing this would hopefully add a touch more contrast with hotter impact points and softer light scattering. I think the amount of bounced lighting fills the space more than moonlight through one window should.

Play with light impacts vs. bounces and see what you can do to add some additional contrast and interest. When the light travels as far as it seems to be doing here, it's less interesting. Tighten it up if you can and you'll effectively hone the eye on the focal point better. Sidenote, the fog is a touch too dense to the point where you lose all detail on the wall under the stairs, maybe soften it a bit?

Great work so far, looking to be a great piece!
    -Jon
  • Azaraen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azaraen polycounter lvl 10
    Latest:

lgf2.jpg

hd5m.jpg

hofy.jpg

Honestly, before I go thru your progress posts, I seriously thought the top image was the concept/screenshot, and the next picture was your attempt. And then I scrolled down further and saw the concept art and thought, why did he make a (not as good looking) paintover?

Then I realized, that was what you were working off of. lol!

Your latest/final(?) screenshot looks really amazing!
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart > I'll research that texture overlay post process this weekend! First time I'm really going into all that stuff, don't wanna overdo it like a newb on the first try tho ;) I've updated the lighting but it's something I change every other day. I'll keep the contrast in mind compared to the concept :) Thanks!

Endfinity Jon > I really like the concept but all I really want is for it to look good, pulling away a bit from the concept wouldn't be a bad thing. I like ur overall hints, I'll put em on my todo list for this weekend and see how it turns out :)
    - I get what ur saying, it was matching before but then I changed the other walls material so now it stands out a bit much maybe, was already working on the lighting on the stairs/wall themselves because it was way too much of a white blob overall.

Here's a lighting only shot, it's something I knew was gonna be important for this scene but never thought I'd put this much time into it, need to learn moar!
    Currently I have a spotlight outside the window, a dom dir light, and two point lights (one below the first arch to get the lighting right on the planks on the right, and one halfway in the stairwell itself).

hio4.jpg

Currently got 3 bounces going on, will experiment some more tomorrow. I've also been trying to get some dust on those floor planks:

giav.jpg

Also I've reduced the fog alpha too, was a bit much :)

aozl.jpg

Also time to add some spiderwebs and add some final touches this weekend!

Evolvyn > Thanks, I think the concept still looks better tho xD Mad respect for Gary Tonge!

Thanks for the feedback so far, really keeps me pushing forward :)
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tweaked some values in the post process and lightmass,

b5de.jpg

Get ur last minute crits & comments in :)
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Looking great with the lighting and the wood floor texture. The left wall texture jumps out as needing another pass.