Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Practicing texturing

hey all, here's a little project Im doing to practice texturing/material definition.

It's a "realistic" version of the Nerf Reflex gun (even though it would be physically impossible to load this thing with ammunition, let alone a magazine :poly124:)

Im texturing it to look similar to a glock pistol (polymer grip with steel slide) and with bronze/brass parts.
Im a noob when it comes to texturing as I cant seem to define materials in the diffuse or specular correctly. So I've been playing around with this model and here's where I am as of now:

PLEASE NOTE: I have not begun painting scratches/overlays/damage as I would love a critique of where I stand with material definition

1_zps5095b88c.png

3_zps87fcfa4a.png

4_zpseedb5508.png

2_zpse2e631f1.png

and here's my reference:

1345129287_429351400_2-Nerf-Reflex-Ix-1-Perfeito-Estado-Usada-Correntina.jpg

for all those schnazzy details on the slide, I wanted to try to paint that in using the photoshop xnormal plugins (I've never done this and I want to learn how)

And I gave it realistic rails because the rails on the actual gun arent functional with weapon attachements

Ive never textured polymer, bronze or plastics so I wanna learn how to properly do that in the diff/spec/gloss (along with metal)

thanks! :)

Replies