Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Under the dome

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
This is my latest piece and I would appreciate some feedback. The concept piece is at the bottom and I would like to give the artist credit.Does anyone knows who it is.

2ddp.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

rqe8.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

5tvh.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

1l96.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

l8je.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

Replies

• Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    Nice BUT! :

Why smoke is blue? Would change it to something grayish/transparent.
    Textures are different size? Example: the wall is very sharp, but this "words" on arch is very blurry.
    Grass is very weak.
    And you have these foliage hanging from top are more yellowish, not soo green as yours.
    It's from me :D
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply these are a few things I definitely missed on this piece. Second set of eyes really helps out.
  • GarfSnacks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarfSnacks polycounter lvl 8
    Similar to what Mr. Significant said, the amount of detail doesn't look very consistent. For example, the statues look really great modeling/texturewise, but when you look at the hole in the dome it looks very jagged and doesn't seem to have been given the same amount of love.
    The first thing I noticed in the picture was the hole in the roof, mostly because of the contrast. If you really want the statues to shine, I would try to change the lighting so that they pop out more, I didn't actually see them well until you showed the closeup shot of them. Hope this helps

What engine are you using?
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had some work come up and havent been able to get to this untill last night. I never really cared for the lighting and have changed it up. I also didnt care for the walls so those went along with redoing the dome. I changed the grass also.

@amile duan- no the concept was called under the dome. has nothing to do with the show
    @ Deciduo- I am using Cryengine.

[4uct.jpg
    f7cf.jpg
    4em4.jpg
    a00r.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    looks like you have too much lighting info in your albedo textures, black cracks etc... reducing this sgnificantly and allowing the normals to work more would help a lot

also looks like alot of your ground textures are too dark swell, getting your diffuse textures in the correct space would allow the lighting to work much better
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shepeiro thanks for the crit I see what you mean. Here it is adjusted reducing the AO contributionand made sure the normals are leveled. I also realized that I had the post process contrast jacked up to high. Here is a shot with the fixes.

4svc.jpg
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    Yhe scene is still wahsed out. Still too much lightning. And change color of the smoke, looks very weird. Rest is almost good. Keep up!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    nah the colour of the smoke is correct... wood smoke has a bluesih tinge
    i dont know the lighting engine but you could improve the lighting a load now your textures are better

lower tha bounce light on the ceiling/dome and get more contrast in there

quick paintover:
    paintover-2.jpg
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
    Popeye, I'm not sure if you care about this, but this is whats actually written on the walls:
    СКВОЗЬ ГРОЗЫ СИЯЛО НАМ СОЛНЦЕ СВОБОДЫ, И ЛЕНИН ВЕЛИКИЙ НАМ ПУТЬ ОЗАРИЛ. НАС ВЫРАСТИЛ СТАЛИН — НА ВЕРНОСТЬ НАРОДУ, НА ТРУД И НА ПОДВИГИ НАС ВДОХНОВИЛ!

its from USSR hymn. this whole thing is actually some post-apocalyptic version of subway station Kurskaya, in Moscow.

writing on the booth says: СРОЧНОЕ ФОТО (instant photo)
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the replies. Regarding the smoke here is some stock footage.
    http://footage.shutterstock.com/clip-3810119-stock-footage-time-lapse-of-man-starting-campfire-at-camp-in-the-pacific-northwest-oregon.html

@Shepeiro I am using Cryengine for the lighting. I appreciate the paint over that's definitely the look I am shooting for. The nice thing about the engine is that I can iterate the lighting quickly since there is no light maps and should have an update this afternoon.

@Linkov Thanks for the translation. When I made the textures I just used a Cyrillic font in Photoshop with website and what not as the text. Not sure but if you know who painted the original concept I would like to credit the Artist.
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
    Popeye9 wrote: »
    Not sure but if you know who painted the original concept I would like to credit the Artist.

Vladimir Manyuhin aka mvn78
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Linkov Thanks for the info that helps :)

Here is a shot with some more contrast. I added some minor depth of field to the outside and turned down the fog a lil since it washed out the scene.

jzst.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the final shot. Gonna start setting up a camera for the final fly through.

pf6h.jpg

• djoexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe polycounter lvl 7
    I would teak the lighting some more, try to fake this Global Illumination as much as possible...it's a bit too dark and there is too much contrast IMO. I would change the environment color as well to get a warmer tone.

The texture of your pillar is odd and too low res, if not try to add a details normal map on top of it, it will sure help.

Get rid of that awkward background scenery ( way to much contrast there ) and it catch the eye too much instead of your real focus point. Try a different camera position ?

The ground is not enough perceptiple too, we can berely see what texture it's made of. Also, crank up that water reflection resolution of this cube map...I can count the pixels :/

Tone down those ground grass blade, they're too vivid for that kind of place.

Again, it's just my perception, nothing more, but keep in mind that those tips are here to help you progress even more.

Show us your real final shot :D
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks djoexe I appreciate the feedback. As soon as the login server for Cryengine are back up I will address these issues. When I finish I will definitely show my shots :)
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally Crytek got the login server working today so here is an updated version. I added detail map to pillars so they look more stone like up close, desaturated outdoor wall, made change to the floor lighting so able to see now. I up the resolution on the environment probe so reflections are better and adjusted the color of the grass so not so green.

wsak.jpg

• samifira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samifira polycounter lvl 10
    Definitely progressing. A few notes though:

1. In your scene the arch etched into the wall with all the circles on top in your scene appears to be flat, but in the reference image it looks more like it's protruding from the rear of the building. Not sure if this is your personal take on things but I think making it protrude out the back at a curve would make for more interesting looking geometry and bring you closer to the source material.

2. The way the grass "infects" the world space in the reference image is really visually pleasing. I like the overgrown look of your scene but I think it would benefit by having weeds growing across the generator thingy on the left. Having different heights of grass would be helpful too in differentiating what areas have seen longer term vegetative growth. It would also allow you to make some areas more visible than others, channeling the viewers vision toward different elements on the screen.

3. I like the miniature tree growing behind the soldier in the ref pic, seeing that in your scene might help add some variation to it.

4. Background props against the walls like in the ref image would definitely help make the walls more interesting.

5. Realistically, what's holding that flag there? Giant thumb tacks? There are pillars on the second floor you could have it tied to!

Anyway, those are just some things I think you should consider to really help sell the scene as a real place. I like what you've done so far and I look forward to seeing more of your work!