Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

FRAG OUT!!!!!!!

s6
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
s6 polycounter lvl 10
Did this Frag Grenade Conceived for Brink by Leading Light Conceptual Designs. Mainly to practice High/low/bake/texture workflow, and focus more on the texturing. Which didn't come out quite as expected, Which I'm not sure how I feel about yet. SO. I'll let you guys tell me ^^ C&C always encouraged.

Textures might be junk, but it was fun, And I learned a bit while doing it. What it's all about.

xEsLiE.png

bZHDDp.png

dpzCe1.png

Original concept:

YwtUZ5.jpg

Replies

• lewist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nicely done! Your material definition looks really good and the scratches are convincingly placed. The color variations help to make it a more interesting piece. Tactical pink! :)
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd expect to see a closer correlation between areas with worn paint and bare metal. This is especially true of areas with deep scratches.

I'd personally have stuck with an olive-drab base color with yellow text - it's more believable and provides more visual difference. The spoon, handle, fuze and (timing ring?) could each be slightly different forms of metal.

I'm not sure if your colors have specific meanings or if they're just there for visual interest. Actual weapons tend to have bands of specific colors for specific types - yellow for HE, red for incendiary, etc. Inert/dummy grenades are typically painted blue all-over, with white text.
    australiapractisef3.jpg

BTW, the concept is actually closer to a modern stun grenade than a fragmentation grenade.
    grenade_M84.gif
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    @Lewist: Thanks!

@Dwalker: Thanks for the feedback

I definitely agree I could have included more color and variation to the base metals/bare metals. After playing with marmosets saturation settings, I saw that even boosted way up only the painted really changed. Other areas did as well, But very mildly. So your right, I could definitely push that a more next time!

I may not have mentioned, This concept art was for brink. So kinda tried to make it in that style.

Colors don't have any particular meaning, aside from red and blue I suppose (As per BRINK factions). I just thought it would be a more interesting way to present them, Honestly. Tried to go for a vivid/bright/saturated look after the Brink style. Definitely wasn't a stab at realism. But dually noted for future grenades!

The concept art says "Frag grenade" so i just named this accordingly. They do have another interesting concept for a stun grenade though:

YVlrwb.jpg