Home General Discussion

Cintiqs

Boozebeard
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
Should hopefully be getting a large chunk of money soon and I'd like to spend some of it on a cintiq. I'm just trying to figure out which one to go for. I'm actually leaning towards the 13HD at the moment due to the pixel density. I currently use a 27" 2560x1440 monitor so I'm a bit apprehensive about being disappointed by the pixel density on the larger models. Being a lot cheaper is a nice bonus too!

What are peoples thoughts? Is the extra physical screen space on the larger models worth the price and lower pixel density?

Replies

• Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    I'm also interested in this. My intuos 2 bought the farm and I've looked at Cintiqs and Yiynova and Bosto. Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to use any of them, and here in Australia I don't even know where one could.

Also I'm clearly an amateur and always thought Cintiqs were for pros. I always wondered if an amateur getting one was overdoing it, like how amateur photographers were known to buy top-of-the-line cameras, while pros simply got what they needed.
  • Count Vertsalot
    You're talking about a difference of 8 PPI if you get a 22HD Cintiq. You probably won't even see the difference. 1080p on a 13 inch screen will make everything look tiny. I know this because I tested a bunch of HD tablets with 10-13 inch screens and they weren't very usable with a pen because the software buttons are so small. For reference my main monitor has 94 PPI and my 22HD has around 100 PPI and I don't even see a difference in the two. You could always wait and see what Wacom does with their upcoming mobile tablet.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i'm using the 22HD.

i love it. it's just the right size to me.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    You're talking about a difference of 8 PPI if you get a 22HD Cintiq. You probably won't even see the difference. 1080p on a 13 inch screen will make everything look tiny. I know this because I tested a bunch of HD tablets with 10-13 inch screens and they weren't very usable with a pen because the software buttons are so small. For reference my main monitor has 94 PPI and my 22HD has around 100 PPI and I don't even see a difference in the two. You could always wait and see what Wacom does with their upcoming mobile tablet.

Aye, I would worry less about pixel density and more about drawing space. Get the 22hd.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    22HD is pure liquid wonderment. I have a 21UX at home and the extra width on the HD makes a world of difference
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    How's the screen of the 22HD? I'm pondering getting one eventually since it's big and not that expensive. I saw the 13" one in action once and it was really very small. It looked impressive but I can't imagine working with it. The 22HD looks just right though.
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Um, what? They are both 1080 displays which equates to about 100 ppi on the 22" and 170 on 13". Massive difference. In fact 3 times the difference as between my 1080 24" monitor and my 1440 27" monitor and the difference between those two is night and day to me.

Edit: Oh, I just realised you were probably reffering to the difference between my current monitor and then 22" Cintiq. Sorry.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    It's something you have to try out, Wacom usually has a booth at conventions related to our field - heck they had a booth at Pax when I went. If I had the small cintiq I would have to spring for an extra video card to drive a 3rd monitor because when I'm not painting it's my primary screen for modeling.
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there an ETA on the mobile device?

Edit: Actually mentioning a mobile device just reminded me about the Surface Pro which I've been eyeing up for a while. Too many products!
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did a bit of work using a Cintiq at university so I'm not going into it blind.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    this is my post from the tablet pc thread. If you are thinking of getting a smaller 13wx cintiq look at the surface too..

Microsoft Surface Pro.. Gabe from Penny Arcade now uses it and so do quiet a few other artists I just got the 128GB Microsoft Surface Pro and it's great for drawing with Manga Studio, Photoshop and Sketchbook Pro, I wouldn't maybe do much 3d on it, but for drawing etc, its' awesome. Sent back my Cintiq13hd and just sold my ipad since this does what both those did separately. Also it's my new semi-laptop since it has full functioning Windows8 64bit.

Here's a vid of Gabe using the MS Surface Pro, I'd highly suggest anyone wanting a lower end cintiq or tablet PC to look at a Microsoft Surface Pro.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/provisions-8x
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Boozebeard wrote: »
    Is there an ETA on the mobile device?

The Wacom slate device will be android, and supposed to be here before fall.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I have a 21UX second gen at home and absolutely love it. I also really love the wide ones but I am so used to mine that the 22hd felt too short, although it was so wide haha. I'm sure it's just me not being used to it. I had a 24HD at work for a bit which was fantastic as long as you never plan on moving it ever.

Super tempted to get a surface myself but I'm waiting for wacom to freakin' announce their tablet as well as see what's hoppin for the next surface update. This fall should be fun.
  • schneller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    schneller polygon
    I also had a second gen 21UX for several years at work, and it felt like the perfect size to me. Despite some awkwardness with dual monitors like Dustin mentioned and tablet input not working correctly in some game engines, I still miss it everyday. I haven't used the 22HD but it would be my first choice for a new Cintiq.

Also, if you do get serious about the 13HD be prepared for a long wait. I talked myself into getting one due to the lower price, but I placed the order in April and am still waiting to receive it. Amazon's latest delivery estimate put it at late September to early November.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I'm still waiting for a better cintiq model or something new with a good screen for the eyes. I work with very very fast strokes, and i don't like the cursor lag, nor the heat, nor the price of the wacom globes :P

I was tempted to buy a 22hd but i tried it at a local store for professionals, and bah, i thought it wasn't good for me. With my intuos 3 i had enough.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    seems everyone is really excited about the 22HD? Might get one for xmas then
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    this is my post from the tablet pc thread. If you are thinking of getting a smaller 13wx cintiq look at the surface too..
    Is there any way to dock/connect it to a PC and have your screen mirrored to it?
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    these are nice with a cintiq. You can move it around however you want, flat and low, tilted back overhead, whatever you want. . You can also adjust the vertical tension.
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036RDOT8/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: Ergotron Lx Dual Stacking Arm: Electronics[/ame]
  • DanConroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanConroy polycounter lvl 18
    I had a go on the 24 at a mates, it was something else in ZB. I hated going back to my normal tablet :P

I'm REALLY tempted to get the 22 though!
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Microsoft Surface Pro.. Gabe from Penny Arcade now uses it and so do quiet a few other artists I just got the 128GB Microsoft Surface Pro and it's great for drawing with Manga Studio, Photoshop and Sketchbook Pro, I wouldn't maybe do much 3d on it, but for drawing etc, its' awesome. Sent back my Cintiq13hd and just sold my ipad since this does what both those did separately. Also it's my new semi-laptop since it has full functioning Windows8 64bit.

Here's a vid of Gabe using the MS Surface Pro, I'd highly suggest anyone wanting a lower end cintiq or tablet PC to look at a Microsoft Surface Pro.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/provisions-8x

I'm really tempted by the surface, 90% of my work is Zbrush though so it wouldn't really be suitable as my primary device. Unless there's some way to hook it up to my main PC and use it like a Cintiq, that would be awesome!
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the woman on the live chat told me you can indeed connect it to another machine and just use it as a drawing device. You just have to install some software on the surface to make it work. Very tempted to get one now!
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I had a 21 inch Cintiq at home and at work for about 4 years. But now I just have a Intuos 5 Medium with touch, and I find it much more comfortable. I don't do any 3D sculpting, just some 2d and 3d animation.

There is less lag so I tend to draw faster, and I prefer the smaller surface. Being able to Pan/Zoom/Rotate the canvas in ArtRage with touch controls is a huge plus.
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm gonna look into getting a surface, wanted one for ages anyway as I don't have a tablet or laptop. I'll see how well it performs as a primary input device, if it's not up to snuff I'll start looking into Cintiqs again.

Cheers for the help ladies and gents.
  • tupwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have the 13HD and can definitely recommend it. I've been moving around a lot lately whilst i relocate and have been able to plug it into a macbook and sculpt away very happily. Took me about 2 days to get adjusted to Cintiq from Intuous and I'd definitely prefer a 22HD for the shear surface area but for half the price I definitely feel like im getting great value.