Home Technical Talk

Environment Textures

I would google this, it seems simple, but I just don't know what to type in....

I'm wondering how you accomplish repeating environment textures. In 2D sprites, you simply tile a sprite over and over again. With 3D, however, you often have to transition from one texture to another without changing geometry. So how do I accomplish a large grass plain with a repeating texture, but also have something like a trail along the plain that shows the footprints. Or a cliff face that changes from rocky to grassy once it changes directions. All assuming I want small, repeating textures everywhere possible. I know a few tricks that would probably work for procedural texturing, but I haven't a clue where to start with hand-painted textures.

Specifically, I'm referring to Maya. 2014 or most recent you can help with.

Replies

• Adij
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adij polycounter lvl 8
  • Xelioth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adij wrote: »
    blending and vertex painting: http://eat3d.com/free/vertex_painting
    Awesome, thanks a ton. Next question: Is that only possible within a specific game engine such as UDK, Unity, etc, or is that also possible just within Maya itself? I can't seem to find any info one way or another.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    You write the shader.
  • Xelioth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    You write the shader.
    ....that's not a particularly helpful response.... Mind telling me how? Linking me to an article that talks about it? Perhaps a video that shows the process? Something? Anything? I need to learn the process behind this.
  • onionhead_o
  • Xelioth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MUAHAHAA! Thanks! Perfect! :D

edit: upon review, not-so-perfect. He doesn't explain how to actually DO what he's doing, just how to use what he's already set up.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's the thing, if you know how to write (or understand) the shader lingo, then you could write it for pretty much anything you heart desires, since the math and functions translate to everything.

Once you know how to write a basic shader, and what stuff to call, etc, you're set, especially since vertex blending is pretty bog standard stuff (all the tutorials I have seen do the same thing, and once you grasp what the math is doing, it should get easier from there).

If you're limited to more interface driven (like UDK) systems, then I don't think it's possible for Maya, for real-time atleas, I don't think Maya has plugins like ShaderFX, so you have to write it last I checked.

You could try and see what you can come up with for offline rendering, using the material system in Maya maybe? I don't use Maya alot, but using your Vertex Color as a Mask between different Lambert-Blinn layers should get you started?
  • Xelioth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's the thing, if you know how to write (or understand) the shader lingo, then you could write it for pretty much anything you heart desires, since the math and functions translate to everything.

Once you know how to write a basic shader, and what stuff to call, etc, you're set, especially since vertex blending is pretty bog standard stuff (all the tutorials I have seen do the same thing, and once you grasp what the math is doing, it should get easier from there).

If you're limited to more interface driven (like UDK) systems, then I don't think it's possible for Maya, for real-time atleas, I don't think Maya has plugins like ShaderFX, so you have to write it last I checked.

You could try and see what you can come up with for offline rendering, using the material system in Maya maybe? I don't use Maya alot, but using your Vertex Color as a Mask between different Lambert-Blinn layers should get you started?
    Aha. Alright, that makes a lot of sense. I'm definitely more on the UI side of things, and learning to work in UDK makes more sense for me than trying to branch into writing all my own code for it.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll start looking up UDK.

edit: Actually, before I go, do any of you know if Unity is capable of this? I'm already a bit familiar with Unity, so that would be more convenient to learn.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, but again, written.

Strumpy Editor is your second best bet, but it has fallen behind some, apparently they've hired the Strumpy Dev's and plan on adding an inhouse solution?

Your other best bet is ShaderForge, but that is still a new WIP.
  • Xelioth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, but again, written.

Strumpy Editor is your second best bet, but it has fallen behind some, apparently they've hired the Strumpy Dev's and plan on adding an inhouse solution?

Your other best bet is ShaderForge, but that is still a new WIP.
    Alright, thanks a bunch for the help, Ace!