Home Technical Talk

3DSMax texture bake instersection issues

polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
I haven't baked anything in 3DSMax for quite a while and I'm running into an issue when baking a LightingMap (AO) using light tracer. The areas where the lowpoly and highpoly intersect creates additional AO/shadow and I was wondering if there's way to have max ignore the low and just bake the projected highs AO?

You can see the problem here where here (the secondary inner ring of each sphere):
lowLightingMap.jpg

And here's the file (max2012): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4210886/baketesting/baketest.max

Replies

• joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    It's a bit weird, usually this happens when the LP completely intersects the highpoly (a cylinder sticking in), wich max renders white instead of black, this seems to be the other way around :p

2 solutions (outside of some weird/hidden setting that I don't know off, could be very possible, I feel like I'm missing/overseeign something):
    -Match up the Hp with the Lp as you would always do (bit of a weird example, I guess maybe this isn't possible in the actual model)
    -Render in mental ray (takes a bit longer though, since you really need to up the samples and the render settings to get the grainyness out).

(this one is MR)
    8zhb2g.jpg
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    I think i ran into this one time. In the object properties, under general>rendering Control, try to uncheck renderable. Could be applied to a whole layer, so you can throw all your LP in it.