Home Unreal Engine

Apply transformations to multiple instances of a static mesh at once?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Subtle 1rony polycounter lvl 10
In my case, I changed the pivot point of a modular piece after I had placed many instances of it in UDK, so when I reimported after making changes to it, all of the pieces I had placed were rotated 90 degrees. Ive been going back through by hand and correcting all the pieces, but I thought I should see if there is a more efficient way, because its a tedious process, and slightly annoying. Let me know if you need any clarification on what I'm trying to do, I can provide pictures if need be. Thanks for any help!

Side note: I changed the pivot in maya when I exported it from there

Replies

• Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    I can't think of any proper automated way.

The only thing you can do is select all pieces that are rotated in 1 direction, and then you can en-mass change the rotation value in their properties. Etc for the other angles. Not that userfriendly either but possibly slightly faster.
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    Right click one such mesh -> copy paste all those rotated meshes to totally empty new level -> Select a mesh with one common angle (say Z-90 rotated), go to its properties, movement, rotation, hold SHIFT and click the name of the rotation property.

Right click that mesh again in the viewport, now it says Select - Select all smeshes with pitch 16384 for example (internal Unreal rotation values are 65536 based). This would then allow you to select all meshes rotated 90 degrees. You can then change the 90 degree value on all of those at once.

Repeat for other angles.

If you stayed on grid you'd only have to do this four times.
  • Subtle 1rony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Subtle 1rony polycounter lvl 10
    Ah, okay, so I did the first step with modifying the properties and it definitely is faster than going to each piece and rotating them individually.

Lesson learned: make sure pivots are set in stone at the modular blockout stage, because changing them later causes your static meshes to change position inside the map. (feel free to correct me if this is inaccurate)

Thank you very much sir, for your assistance and on more than one occasion I might add!