Home Unity

Unity - Strumpy Editor - Half-Lambert setup?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
Hey to all,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to how to create a basic half-lambert term a la HL2 inside Strumpy if possible?

I was looking at the graphs an such, and it seems like Pixel, Lighting and Vertex information are all split up, and that in all cases, certain functions like those of Light Vectors/Directions aren't available due to...certain restrictions?

Could anyone confirm if possible?

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Should be able to do
    dot(lightDir,s.Normal)*0.5+0.5

I recommend you just jump straight in to writing the surface shaders in code, you seen to understand enough about shaders in general to do so. By default it's all just straight up CG code (which is close enough to HLSL that they're interchangeable 99% of the time). Just ignore all the fixed funtion stuff in the Unity documentation, that's confusing stuff for old mobile hardware - look at Surface Shaders and CG Shaders.

Strumpy Shader Editor is limited and outdated (and no longer supported, since Tim - the developer - was hired by Unity).
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    Farfarer wrote: »
    Should be able to dot product lightDir and s.Normal and *0.5+0.5 that.

I recommend you just jump straight in to writing three surface shaders in code, you seen to understand enough about them. Stumpy is limited (and not supported any more, I don't think).

Correct. He's now working with Unity to make an official shader editor.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys, I guess that settles it! :P
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    What's the best shader editor available ATM?
    It doesn't necessarily have to be in Unity.

It also doesn't have to be node-based, although that would be a huge plus for me.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron wrote: »
    What's the best shader editor available ATM?
    It doesn't necessarily have to be in Unity.

It also doesn't have to be node-based, although that would be a huge plus for me.
    For node, both UDK and (discontinued) ShaderFX are you options honestly, Strumpy (discontinued but Open Source now) is pretty limited in many ways, there is also C4Engine and it's pretty similar to UDK.

In terms of compatibility in applications on a large scale, good old code writing in text is pretty much it.

After that, is a case to case basis on the engine and what it offers honestly, CE2 had some psuedo-hlsl code, but you must have access to the 'code' documents first before even trying anything with them.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks. I didn't know about C4 Engine, I'll have to take a look at that as well as just diving into code.