Home Technical Talk

Ambient Occlusion seams

s6
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
s6 polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys. Been banging my head against this wall for a few days now. Maybe some of you could share some insight on what I'm doing wrong.

I'll start off by saying, yes, i know its rather unnoticeable, and really doesn't matter. But I took a lot of time to get the cleanest normal bake i could, and have very very few visible seams in the normals. I've baked out a handful of AO passes in max, But i can't seem to shake a few rather detrimental errors, So i tried my hand at xnormal, And it did a much better job. The only problem is, It seems to bake different shades on either side of a uv split. Creating a seam.

Again, i know, I'm being overly critical, and i could move on from this point an no one would know the difference.

That said, I feel like there has to be a way to get the values on each side of the slit to render the same.

Any ideas you guys have, I'd love to hear. If there is no way to resolve the minor seams, And you think I'm an idiot, I'd love to hear it all the same :)

lAc9kw.png

h4mR04.png

xVE5jQ.png

QGiPow.png

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you set up a cage in XN or you using the default ray distance settings? If using the ray distance settings you'll get seams along any hard edges/smoothing group splits.

Try exporting your cage from max, or even just setting the normals to averaged in the lowpoly options tab in xnormal to see if that fixes it.

Though honestly, I have a pretty hard time spotting the issue here, the one place where it is obvious looks like it will face away from the camera in FPV so its moot.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    I set up my cage inside of xnormal. Haven't tried the ray distance only settings, And was under the impression exported cages didn't work quite right in xnormal. I'll give a try to the exported cage. If that doesn't work out, I'll just leave it as is. I know I'm being ridiculous, But i have to inquire and see if i can make it better. I appreciate the reply.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Using the exported cage worked perfectly! Thanks a lot EQ. You da man :thumbup: