Home Technical Talk

Normal maps issues

kuujo
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
kuujo polycounter lvl 6
I'm having two issues and I have no idea how to fix this and I've been trying to figure it out by myself for a long time now.

First problem is when baking normals with xNormal from a high poly mudbox sculpted model to low poly game model. Those inset lines are perfectly straight on high poly model, yet they bake with wierd irregular edges. I thought it was low poly model fault, but then I just baked it on a plane and the result is the same (screenshot). What could be causing this? I'm goin crazy, I really thought it was low poly fault but now I'm stuck forever...

Second problem I've been ignoring for some time, but I need to stop avoiding it. I keep getting wierd shading on low poly models I make in maya. Even though this is a perfectly flat object, there are triangles visible on it. Smoothing does nothing. Conforming, unlocking normals, turning to face and smoothing again, averaging, setting angle also does nothing. If it's for game it must be all triangles, so what is the problem? Everytime I do triangles that are uneven it breaks smoothing, is this normal behavior? Should I try to do even triangles? That would increase their number, I think I saw lots of irregular triangles on other people work and it was fine. It's insanely annoying.

Please help.

Replies