Home General Discussion

Programs that can paint out seams easily

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
I think zbrush can do this, but rather akwardly. Are there any other free or cheap programs where this is made easy? Thanks!

Replies

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    3D Coat is what I use, seams to do a good job of it! Mudbox as well, but if you're talking price value I would definitely go with 3DC. Uhm....viewport canvas if you're using Max I guess, but I heard its functionality is pretty crappy. Also Bodypaint but that's fairly old now.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    photoshop has 3d support. Its not super fast, but it works. Its a little clunky in that you have to copy the pixels from the texture assigned to the obj in photoshop, and paste into a new document. The texture that is attached to the 3d file within photoshop is a temp file, and not something that exists on disk.

its also clunky to use unless you're on the latest version of photoshop. They finally enabled alt-click camera movement in CC while using the Move tool, and the 3d layer is selected, and you can easilly set your scene to unlit - where before it was buried in some menus.

but! you can paint out seams on a new layer and sample the texture via stamp on all layers, just need to remember to merge layers before you move the camera :)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    3dcoat does this great, and it is relatively cheap.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    moose wrote: »
    photoshop has 3d support. Its not super fast, but it works. Its a little clunky in that you have to copy the pixels from the texture assigned to the obj in photoshop, and paste into a new document. The texture that is attached to the 3d file within photoshop is a temp file, and not something that exists on disk.

its also clunky to use unless you're on the latest version of photoshop. They finally enabled alt-click camera movement in CC while using the Move tool, and the 3d layer is selected, and you can easilly set your scene to unlit - where before it was buried in some menus.

but! you can paint out seams on a new layer and sample the texture via stamp on all layers, just need to remember to merge layers before you move the camera :)

Wow that sounds like a massive ball ache..... it'd be nice later on if they implement a solid 3D system for PS, like dropping your model to a canvas and painting on it, getting rid of the need for a painting app altogether :)
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Do any of these programs have the ability to sample multiple textures at once, like cloneing the diff, spec and gloss at the same time with one stroke?
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    if you are a max user you could always do this with viewport canvas too
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Computron wrote: »
    Do any of these programs have the ability to sample multiple textures at once, like cloneing the diff, spec and gloss at the same time with one stroke?

Not that I know of in 3DC...I suppose you could in Mudbox as its done on a categorical layering system, e.g:

Diffuse
    layer 2
    layer 1

Specular
    layer 1

You could just copy a layer from the diffuse and paste that as a seperate layer into the spec or gloss category, although I haven't tested it I just remember the UI from a while back :D
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46242&highlight=low+odor+script

there is a link to a tut..that lets you do it super easily using photoshop and Max...it also has my script for automating it...pretty much paint out the seems and then reproject ... its also super handy for projecting details into UV spaces without having to worry about lining up seams..
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. wrote: »

Just started using this recently. It's a little awkward at first but it gets the job done hella fast. Just like sex?
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    seth. wrote: »

Viewport canvas does NOT play nicely with multiple UV channels. It also slows waaaaay down with even moderate tricounts, at least here at work where I've been using it to paint grime masks and A/B blends.
  • xrg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    You can try Pixexis. Blender has texture paint, and does what Pixexis does but it's not easy to pick up and learn right away.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    nyx702 wrote: »
    Just like sex?

The new Zremesher is more like sex for me... just the shock of being able to get to experiment with it XO
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Damn when did that viewport canvas feature appear, I gotta test that out lol. Mudbox has a good clone brush, just about the only thing I use mudbox for.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn when did that viewport canvas feature appear, I gotta test that out lol. Mudbox has a good clone brush, just about the only thing I use mudbox for.

2011 I believe
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    moose wrote: »

hehe.. imo this is the only useful feature of this photoshop 3d paint yet... ;)
    Where is the simple 3d window -> load model, assign current file as texture, paint. -.- .. oh and.. camera controls an average human can handle
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    nyx702 wrote: »
    Just started using this recently. It's a little awkward at first but it gets the job done hella fast. Just like sex?

Argh, it's so slow though. And - same as in Mudbox - I tend to have errors drawing over long tris or areas with not-so-much texture resolution. And some things are just odd. Why save as 100dpi by default?
  • MeshModeler
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    xrg wrote: »
    You can try Pixexis. Blender has texture paint, and does what Pixexis does but it's not easy to pick up and learn right away.

whoa when did this one come out?
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I still use ZAppLink

:/
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    +1 for 3dsMax Canvas tool, works quite well, has transferable PSD layer setup so its easy to go between PS and 3dsmax, wouldn't install an extra program because of seams if you already got 3dsmax.

although if you work with multiple uv channels you might have to temporarily load your other uv layout on to your uv 0. copying colors also suck.