Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci Fi corridoor -Texture help

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
oxblood polycounter lvl 9
I've been modelling this sci fi corridor in max, I plan to put it into UDK when its textured. I have tried load of textures but nothing really looks right, any ideas?

Replies

• VeeJayZee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For Surface details, try some big overlapping panel lines first then build the details as you go. But not too much that it'll just be line noise. A thin Emmissive panel lines here and there will be cool.

As for textures try something of a scratched metal first on the big panels to get an idea of what kind of metal hey are. Just build up as you go.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I'd try to find some concepts or references to work from, or do some concepts yourself. Nothing super professional, but just enough to help you figure out where you want to take it. There's a lot of different types of "sci-fi", with some being just really industrial. You could go really clean and minimal, or dark and grimy. Do a search on here for some sci-fi stuff too, I came across a lot of good projects when I was researching for mine.
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks you two, I have been having a look around here, i see exactly what you mean.
    Veejayzee what exactly do you mean?
  • VeeJayZee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi oxblood :) It seems I think it will be cool for you add some surface details on you walls :) As for textures normally for scifi hallways I just slap on a scratched metal texture on everything that is metal on my scene. And if it doesn't look good I'll swap it some brushed metal texture. Those two are my initial "go-to" textures whenever I do something metal.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Don't just model things and then think about the texture afterwards. Both need to go hand in hand - the shape of the model will define what the texture will look like, to a certain extent. I'm talking more in terms of normal mapping rather than colouring.

However, when it comes to texturing this modular hallway, I would suggest taking the time to make a decent high poly and bake down some nice features like grilles, gratings, rivets, screws etc. Use plenty of reference, and try to make it look as 'grounded' and realistic as possible in how the pieces connect (ie, dont just have metal parts sticking into other metal parts, give it a slight recess in the normal map. Same with pipes, add a small dark recess around where the pipe intersects the metal.

It's small flourishes like this that will make your piece look better. Above all though, do a high poly and make a few modular textures with some greebly bits on.

Best of luck.
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback guys. Now i'm working on it everythings starting to make sense. Pogop i see exactly what you mean with the details and the textures going hand in hand. now i've started adding detail to the panels I am getting a clean metal vibe as apposed to the industrial look, I will still try both but thats what I can vision. I'm still playing with the details a bit more then i'll bake them on and start texturing. Any feedback guys?
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    been playing around with the textures
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    For panneling I like to look at the back of motherboards and graphics cards for shapes then do a paint over render the basic geo of the shapes I get then do a third paint over then do what additional geo I need and texture

Heres a quick example of this process
    DSC_0061.jpg~original
    scifidoorconcept.jpg~original
    1-1.jpg~original
    latestconcept.jpg~original

Now I have a general idea of the look and feel for it (even some lighting ideas) im just going to be finalizing the geo and moving onto textures, thats how I like to do some sci fi panneling stuff at least.
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow... nice still a bit lost with this though
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok i got a little udk test, but i really cant figure out how to get that glossy/reflective look on the surface, can anyone help? I've been trying to find out how to do it for a couple days now and still no luck. can anyone help me out???
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For UDK, you have to set up the reflections yourself. You can multiply a cubemap reflection by a black and white mask. Generally, you get a cubemap from the level, but you could make your own or just use one of the default UDK ones.

The Specular Power controls the highlight falloff. If you use a Constant, it'll control the falloff based on your spec map, but if you use another b/w image(gloss map), it will control the falloff based on that. White is sharper, black is softer, so for metal, you'd use something pretty bright.

Right now though, your Diffuse looks pretty low-res/soft. And it's obvious you flipped it. I'd give it some sharper details, like scratches in the areas sticking out, signs/stickers, maybe rust depending on how you plan on using it.
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, your right i will go more in depth with the textures, while i sort that, do you think you could point me in the direction off a good tutorial for the reflections?
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think using cubemaps is still the cheapest way to do reflections, but they aren't always the most accurate based on view and whatnot. For that, you could try the DX11 image-based reflections or I think the real-time UDK ones work pretty well? Not sure on that, but for the cubemap stuff, check out this one and this one.
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks so much, i will get this texture up to scratch tonight, then try these tuts in the morning
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    There is some great examples in the udk help docs. http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MaterialsAndTexturesHome.html

If you type in "udk metal" in youtube you will find videos on this material.
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I sharpened the textures and added more detial so it didn't look so flat, and its no longer mirrored detail. Hopefully tomorrow will be a big update, i really cant wait to get the reflections working.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's looking a hell of a lot better! You're still having some issues with texel density though, which was causing some of the blurriness. You can see what I mean in the middle part.

And, this is mostly a personal preference, but I think you have too much grime. If you're going for a grungy look, I'd try localizing some of the dirt into the crevices and corners to help sell the idea of it being aged.
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart wrote: »
    It's looking a hell of a lot better! You're still having some issues with texel density though, which was causing some of the blurriness. You can see what I mean in the middle part.

And, this is mostly a personal preference, but I think you have too much grime. If you're going for a grungy look, I'd try localizing some of the dirt into the crevices and corners to help sell the idea of it being aged.

could u elaborate when you say localize the dirt?
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the main componments of the scene in udk. havnt added the pipes or the deviders yet, havnt lit it yet, playing around with emmissive textures. gona try get these reflective textures to work now. any feedback?
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the textures are far to messy, there is no reason behind all of the random scratches or wear. The metal paint wear should be on edges things like that, also the paint has no chips or wear in it. So the metal is very grudging yet the pain is perfect
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @nick2730 ok im removing the scrathes now .tryna get the chips in the paint too
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick update before i leave
    still working on the textures
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thinking of some assets to put in any feedback?