Home Technical Talk

UDK/Unity/CryEngine/Other? - Need thoughts and opinions!

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
sdmitchell polycounter lvl 6
Hi there! I'm approaching my final year of university on a 3D art course and I'm planning to create and construct an environment for my final year project. I'm still undecided on art style (though leaning towards realism) and "genre" of environment.

I want to use an engine that is easy to use for constructing environments, I don't necessarily need to have any gameplay elements or scripting or even animations.

BUT I would like to have the potential to get other people involved later on in the project to add in these elements to hopefully create a small game or demo or even just a cool level to walk around in.

I'm leaning towards Unity, but I have more experience with UDK. Does anyone have any input or opinions they can give? It would be super helpful and I am open to any other engines. I just feel I don't have enough experience to make an informed decision. :)

Replies

• sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    Go UDK its a well rounded game engine and its interface is easy and fast to learn, as well as there are tonnes of tutorials for it.
  • SlyRipper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SlyRipper polycounter lvl 6
    If you want to create a simple game with the environment, which means implementing some gameplay (which you don't want to) -> unity

If you want just some simple environment without much to do, like gameplay, animations, etc. then you could eather choose UDK or CryEngine.. depends on what kind of environment you want to do. UDK works pretty well for most stuff, while I would suggest choosing CryEngine for "realistic" stuff, it's way better if you want to have it close to real-life optic.
  • electricsauce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    electricsauce polycounter lvl 11
    UDK is going to look the best with the least amount of work. Unity is probably the most customizable, but requires some shader programming to make it look good.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Why not try all of them and see? For a quick summary on the other hand:

UDK: Graphically, it's everything an artist, quick prototyping is pretty OK with Kismet and it's co-tools like UScript. Real problems starts when you want to dive into more hardcore stuff, even if you buy Source-Code, it's been said it's far from the simple as many people would wish it was.

CryEngine: I'm biased here, but it's the last engine in the world I would think of using in it's current state. The online checkup thing they have is horrible, since there are plenty of times it went offline and didn't give me a chance to save the packages. Not to mention, all the realism it has can be toppled by UDK if you know your shaders.

Unity: Never used it really hardcore, but as a whole, it's the best when it comes to creating games and prototyping them since it's more open right out of the box. If you want graphically fidelity to be better, then you need to drop some cash and get the Pro version.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Why not try all of them and see? For a quick summary on the other hand:

UDK: Graphically, it's everything an artist, quick prototyping is pretty OK with Kismet and it's co-tools like UScript. Real problems starts when you want to dive into more hardcore stuff, even if you buy Source-Code, it's been said it's far from the simple as many people would wish it was.

CryEngine: I'm biased here, but it's the last engine in the world I would think of using in it's current state. The online checkup thing they have is horrible, since there are plenty of times it went offline and didn't give me a chance to save the packages. Not to mention, all the realism it has can be toppled by UDK if you know your shaders.

Unity: Never used it really hardcore, but as a whole, it's the best when it comes to creating games and prototyping them since it's more open right out of the box. If you want graphically fidelity to be better, then you need to drop some cash and get the Pro version.

I have to disagree with cryengine here. I have used it for many years and I have to say it is a lot easier to pick up and understand than UDK for a first time user. It's extremely simple and very powerful. The online check is only at startup and has never given me issues. I think it and UDK have pros and cons but I think that for different uses they are at the same level as far as making great content goes.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    If you seriously want to make something out of it later use the open-source Torque3D engine:
    http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque-3d

It has a pretty awesome outdoor leveleditor build right into the game too.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka: I feel your opensource bias is showing here. Torque has historically been absolutely awful to work with, so unless it's (very, very) quietly become amazing, I think the small price for Unity makes up for everything else it's got going for it.

Please do tell us about Torque if you feel it's improved a lot, I'm always interested in keeping up with what's available.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    If your main focus is art, I'd go with UDK or Cryengine. Unless you've got Unity pro, in which case it's got a solid feature set as well. I know they're adding shadows into the free version, but I still feel it's lacking if you're looking to create an art piece.

I used Cryengine for the first time on my last project(escape challenge) and found it easy to pickup. They've got some pretty good documentation, so all it usually took to figure something out was a little digging around. I did start to miss the material freedom that UDK gives you, but they've got quite a few built in materials that work well. Especially if you're going realistic, it should do everything you need.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I have to disagree with cryengine here. I have used it for many years and I have to say it is a lot easier to pick up and understand than UDK for a first time user. It's extremely simple and very powerful. The online check is only at startup and has never given me issues. I think it and UDK have pros and cons but I think that for different uses they are at the same level as far as making great content goes.
    Are you sure? It plenty of times corrupted my scene out of nowhere :/

The worst I got with UDK was "link broken, cannot save, blah blah blah" which is solved with a simple sanitation of your assets or making copies of what it's linking to, in the base package.

With CE3, it refused a couple of times in opening a scene for me and threw errors which I couldn't find the answer to :/

Again, it's not an issue with CE3 ENGINE ITSELF, however, everytime I got screwed over, it was during some time involving some issue with the connection. I never had this issue with the SDK tools from the official game, since those are akin to modding.

Also, yes, it is powerful, and I do recommend it for it's graphical prowess, but I was also surprised as to how many effects they had that were locked in DX11 mode, when these effects didn't require a DX11 mode to begin with, especially with a high end DX10 GPU. Their also recent decision of locking away material/shader code away, because they couldn't fix their pseudo-hlsl for your everyday user also sucks balls :/

Either way, it doesn't really matter. UDK and CE3 fall in the same ballpark for me, with each one having some limitation or form of control that doesn't make sense that only adds burden to the Dev's in minting, in which Unity beats them both in the Pro version and Strumpy's Editor addon. You pretty much get CE3, UDK and Torque in one package at that point, and this is coming from someone who has no interest in Unity, but most likely, ever made a robust game, would go for it.

Again, it's down to preference at that point, and luckily, you can test all 3 engines, it just depends on what you have a higher affinity to and what quirks you can tolerate vs. what are deal breakers.
  • Alismuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alismuffin polycounter lvl 7
    UDK = More effort to create good gameplay
    Unity = More effort to create good graphics
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Either way, it doesn't really matter. UDK and CE3 fall in the same ballpark for me, with each one having some limitation or form of control that doesn't make sense that only adds burden to the Dev's in minting, in which Unity beats them both in the Pro version and Strumpy's Editor addon. You pretty much get CE3, UDK and Torque in one package at that point, and this is coming from someone who has no interest in Unity, but most likely, ever made a robust game, would go for it.

This is what I am trying to say.
    As for the corruption issue that is actually a false positive and was somehow introduced in the latest version or two, they are working on it but if you open it in an older version like 3.4 or if you restart your computer it should work, I had this happen recently and I know it is a fake corruption, it continues to work after restart for me as well.

I personally think for personal scenes cryengine can quickly yield good results. They are all good engines. To the OP, pick one, cryengine is good for starting imo, but if you learn UDK it will most likely be a larger learning curve as the material networks are all done visually in cryengine like a master shader, but the up side is you can learn what is really happening instead of adjusting value sliders as well as learn to optimize better than Cryengine can from a material standpoint due to the amount of things you can re-use. It's up to you. Cryengine has no baking, UDK does, that is another thing I would consider.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    MightyPea wrote: »
    JKMakowka: I feel your opensource bias is showing here. Torque has historically been absolutely awful to work with, so unless it's (very, very) quietly become amazing, I think the small price for Unity makes up for everything else it's got going for it.

Please do tell us about Torque if you feel it's improved a lot, I'm always interested in keeping up with what's available.

Can't deny the open-source bias, but I really do think that this offers a lot if you want to make a acual game out of it. Since it's recent open-sourceing the development speed has also picked up a lot with some cool stuff emerging.
    Otherwise, well my impression of Torque3D is that it still can be aweful to work with (at least the Blender3D art pipeline pretty much sucks, but it is supposed to be much better with 3Dsmax). The outdoor and terrain editor is pretty good though, and it should do the trick for showcasing some level work as the OP was asking for.

Oh and it has already full occulus rift and leap-motion support, so if you have either of those, it might make for a cool tech-demo.

P.S.: Also this: http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/22088
    and some more here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Torque3DOpenSource
  • sdmitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sdmitchell polycounter lvl 6
    @electricsauce - I know nothing about shaders in Unity, but since it's a year long project I'm sure I have time to learn and it can be implemented into my report and such. I'm totally willing to learn stuff that I don't know as well.

@Jason Young - It doesn't have shadows in the free version? I do have access to the Pro Version but that seems a little weird?

Ah, it's really hard to choose! Though I guess which one I pick won't matter too much? Some of the features about Unity that were pointed out as a positive are how easy it would be to create a linked "demo"/"walkthrough" of my level on my portfolio. I assume UDK has this ability too?

EDIT: I'm reading everything you're all saying!
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Never had any major problems with CE3. The Docs are not great but if you jump on the forum with a problem you will 9/10 times get a solution. Out of the box CE3 has all you need but if you want to run deep then your going to need to program it yourself, so you will need some basic c++ programming knowledge.

For realism unity is an arse to work with imo, even with the pro version.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Agreed, if the goal is just a walkaround of your env art I would go with UDK or Cry.
  • XilenceX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XilenceX polycounter lvl 10
    Unity lets you complete a demo or even full game faster than any other engine in the list! That's partially due to the asset store content, but also because it is built specifically for Indie developers. With 4.2 I'd say Pro isn't necessary anymore, if it ever was.

CryEngine gives you amazing graphics pretty much out of the box, especially for outdoor environments and with dynamic lighting. Probably even more so when/if they finally release that 3.5 update. However there currently isn't any support for commercial projects/licenses. This may change ofc, but about a month ago I still heard the license *has not been finalized yet*. So be carefull about that.

UDK graphics on the other hand do better for indoor scenes with static lighting. In terms of finishing a game with it, I would say UDK is the middleground between the other two.

I only tried Torque3D briefly so can't comment on that, but I kinda liked it. It's definitely one to watch, if that open source concept takes off.