Home General Discussion

Pixel art algorithm

pangaea
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
pangaea polycounter lvl 5
http://www.research.rutgers.edu/~timgerst/

Was wondering what you guys think of this?

Using an algorithm to take away the time consuming nature of creating pixel art seems really useful. However, I don't know what it would mean for pixel artist. Surely, if a computer can do just as good a job as pixel artist, then they become sort of useless.

I've been playing around with this and it's really good.

These are some examples on what you can create. This is probably the most realistic pixel art generator I've seen. Also, the algorithm is really interesting from a Mathematical point of view. Really builds on nearest neighbour idea.

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    pangaea wrote: »
    Surely, if a computer can do just as good a job as pixel artist, then they become sort of useless.

it still looks very filtery - I doubt it's going to make pixel artist obsolete much like node based programming alternatives haven't put programmers out of the job.

looks neat though :)
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    I don't really see much difference between that and just converting an image to indexed colour in photoshop.
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    it still looks very filtery - I doubt it's going to make pixel artist obsolete much like node based programming alternatives haven't put programmers out of the job.

looks neat though :)

Sorry, I gave bad examples.

This is a better comparison.

Through, sometimes the program glitches if you try to create a very small image out of a large one.
    rube wrote: »
    I don't really see much difference between that and just converting an image to indexed colour in photoshop.

Can you see the difference now?
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can it do this tho?

create-a-roof.jpg
    the-pixel-tutorial.jpg
    spriting-guide.jpg
    16x16-pixel-art.jpg

In short, no need to worry! :D
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    There's a lot of nuances that algorithms will always have a problem picking up on, which especially for pixel-art is make or break.

You just end up with very nicely dithered downsampled highres images when run through these algorithms, something which was often used in a bunch of the dos era games, but they'd always feel like photo-sourcing.

And on top of that you'll end up needing the source-material to begin with anyway, and that defeats the purpose!

isocastle.png
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Just looks like its downsized and run through a filter.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Damn i love that image eld. Seen it before but it is just so magnificent.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    It doesn't even dither! WTF.
    Though I can imagine this inundating pixel art communities with a dash of pretentiousness just like what SFXR did for "retro 8-bit sound effects" and what GXSCC did to "8bit nes remix's". Sturgeon's Law increases heavily as soon as there's a new 'easy do' button for anything, ain't that right Poser?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I wish more people (when making source-2-pixel) would use proper math and other functions which would generate the best result in a way that mimics the 'core' features of old-school minimalistic art from games, not the pseudo-nomad-hipster ads everyone and their grandma's make in PS in under a minute.

For example, total lack of hard lines, essentially, defining lines like that of the wrinkles on a person which have their own separate layer.
    Masking through luminance, and how it transitions from one hue to another.
    Dynamic pixelation based upon depth and distance of an object, not some defined hard number.

Actually, looking back on that list, I would say it's pretty easy to make it for a post-process in an game engine if you have access to all the basic math, why people cannot implement this system in place for design apps (PS, GMP, etc) is boggling.