Home Technical Talk

Maya nParticles: Is it possible to make to objects collide and leak?

Kyle_butler
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Kyle_butler polycounter lvl 11
Hi, guys!
I'm trying to produce a simple effect, but I don't really know how.

I have to objects. 1 sphere and 1 sword. I wanted the sword to stab the sphere and make it leak (water or blood liquid), from the points where the sword makes contact with its surface.
Also, I wanted some of this liquid to be carried over with the sword, becoming attached to it.
Is it possible?

sword1_zpsc53b0661.jpg

sowrd2_zpsd1be8048.jpg

Replies

• AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    If you make the cube more dense and a tearible ncloth as well as a passive collider you could probably do this.
  • Kyle_butler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your answer, Alex. Could you be more specific? I'm new to maya dynamics.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your answer, Alex. Could you be more specific? I'm new to maya dynamics.

I am not super good but basically if you can use a transform constraint on all the points on an ncloth you don't want to move, you can specify what verts can tear, when these tear you can drain the ball. Why not just use two particle emitters?
  • Kyle_butler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hugh, Alex, thanks for pointing the direction. 2 emitters at both ends.
    But what about the sword collision? How can I make the blood attach to its surface? (This example is a simplification of a more complex scene, where I'll have to stab a rigged character and make it bleed and stain the sword with blood).

What really bothers me is that I know exactly how to do this in 3d max pflow, and using glu3d for the liquid. I managed to export the pflow particles to maya using PFlowBaker-v0_71, but I can't export the liquid properties from glu3d. So I decided to start from scratch in Maya.

But I know very little about how nParticles. I guess I'll have to catch up with maya dynamics so that I can solve this...
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hugh, Alex, thanks for pointing the direction. 2 emitters at both ends.
    But what about the sword collision? How can I make the blood attach to its surface? (This example is a simplification of a more complex scene, where I'll have to stab a rigged character and make it bleed and stain the sword with blood).

What really bothers me is that I know exactly how to do this in 3d max pflow, and using glu3d for the liquid. I managed to export the pflow particles to maya using PFlowBaker-v0_71, but I can't export the liquid properties from glu3d. So I decided to start from scratch in Maya.

But I know very little about how nParticles. I guess I'll have to catch up with maya dynamics so that I can solve this...

Why not use max then?
    Also http://www.digitaltutors.com/software/Maya-Dynamics-tutorials
  • Kyle_butler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My whole scene and shaders are already on Maya.
    Thanks for the link!
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    Pretty much what someone said already. Attach an emitter at the entry and exit points. You don't need particles in the mesh and you definitely don't need nCloth.

Give them relatively high friction. You could even switch the texture on the tip as the sword penetrates the object; you wouldn't be able to see the sword once it's entered the object so it'd be impossible to notice the transition. Would have Texture A which is the normal texture, then Texture B which is normal texture with discoloring on it (blood presumably).

Then just have particles for the leaking as mentioned above.
  • Kyle_butler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii, thanks for the answer. I had to focus on a couple other things on the last days. I'm going to try to work on the particles this weekend. I had however created a procedural animated map to apply to the sword once it reaches the other side of the sphere!
    I'll do as suggested: attach an emitter at the entry and exit points.
    Some questions:
    -How can I make the liquid drag across the sphere surface? Just make the sphere a passive collider and dial down the speed?
    -How can I make the sword carry across the blood? This is why I tought about filling the sphere with particles. If I make the sword another passive collider, it with be unrealistic for it to carry over just the few particles at the entry and exit point. Unless I create another emitter at the sword to make it drag and drop some particles into the floor...