[Low Poly] Cartoon character project

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Amaury polycounter lvl 7

Replies

• thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm no master of topology or anatomy but just looking at it, you have a lot of flat straight edges which never gives the best look. My best advice I can give is to look at what others have done that worked, and use what you see to aid you.
    Quick Google search will bring up tons of low poly modeling sheets like these:
    irongrip.jpg
  • Amaury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaury polycounter lvl 7
    What do you mean by flat straight edges ? Should I remove the loops on the jacket ? Sorry I'm a complete beginner lol. :x
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    We all started this way...welcome to the wonderful world of 3D. There's a lot to learn and it will take a long time even if you are fully dedicated...don't worry about that. The one thing I will suggest is to learn topology flow early on...it will save you headaches later on.

The Polycount wiki offers a look at that.

Topology
  • Erafic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erafic polycounter lvl 10
    Amaury wrote: »
    What do you mean by flat straight edges ? Should I remove the loops on the jacket ? Sorry I'm a complete beginner lol. :x

I think what he's meaning is that if you look all along the edge of the models arms for example, you see a long straight line. Would for example all the elbow loops be removed you wouldnt notice the difference if the wireframe wasnt visible.

The picture example he provided also gives a good example of what you should be doing when working with very low-poly models. That is, to use the silhouette, right now a lot of the loops I imagine are there to help animation, but they do not convey any form. So my tip would be to look over the model again, remove what isnt neccecary for form/silhouette and just leave the essential loops for animation. :)
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erafic wrote: »
    I think what he's meaning is that if you look all along the edge of the models arms for example, you see a long straight line. Would for example all the elbow loops be removed you wouldnt notice the difference if the wireframe wasnt visible.

The picture example he provided also gives a good example of what you should be doing when working with very low-poly models. That is, to use the silhouette, right now a lot of the loops I imagine are there to help animation, but they do not convey any form. So my tip would be to look over the model again, remove what isnt neccecary for form/silhouette and just leave the essential loops for animation. :)

Couldn't of said it better at all. This is basically what I was trying to say. Also no need to apologize, just keep pushing and before you know it you'll be amazed on how well it'll turn out.
  • Amaury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaury polycounter lvl 7
  • Erafic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erafic polycounter lvl 10
    I see you've worked a bit on the silhoette there, and added some joints for volume =)
    However, there are still a lot of polygons that dont contribute as much as their peers. I took the oppertunity to make a quick redlining for you, these would be the loops I'd consider to cut or redirect. Also, heres a link to the polywiki for the joints: LINK
    You'll have to look over which one could be best applicable to your model, but I think you could find a more effective/optimized one than the current tri-split.

Addendum: After sine closer inspection I also saw you had polygons underneat the hair and the cap. Since they probably will be never seen from any angle, theres really no point in having them at all. You could just delete the polies and leave an open edge.

Redliner_LP1.png
  • Amaury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaury polycounter lvl 7
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good to see you're fixing and cleaning things up. I don't know what kind of time framing your working on, but I still see a few things I would make note of. The first is the eyebrows doesn't need to be actual geometry; a flat plane should just work fine here. Second is the bending point in arms could just use one loop. The last thing that I notice is the face, now if you're going to have actual geometry for eyes then obviously the areas will need to be marked out, but most likely for low poly stuff like this you just have the eyes on the texture map; which would nullify the need to cut out poly space for them on the face.

Once again these are just observations, there is not a single correct way to model low poly, so see what fits best for you and your project needs. Keep working at it!