Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] Abandoned Places Series

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
Hi guys,

I'm working on a new portfolio piece or to be exact, on three. Since I don't have any realistic stuff in my portfolio, I decided to get some in it and choose 3 small abandoned areas as some kind of a series for that.

The first one is an abandoned restroom:

FR05.jpg
FR03.jpg
FR02.jpg

The second, the one I'am working atm is some kind of abandoned basement:

Editor2013061719301986.png
Editor2013061719295725.png
Editor2013061719300266.png

The third one will be a small outdoor area with some overgrown machinery and abandoned houses.

Since my goal is to improve my work drastiacally (which means to reach AAA quality!), I would really love to get some crits and comments on this.

When I see other peoples work, I always notice that there must be something I'm missing, the thing, that lifts my work from "looks ok" to "wow great!" but for some reason I have no idea what it is.
Stuff like how to achieve a great texture quality even with small textures, how to optimize correctly and push tricounts down, etc...
I'am really workin my ass of but for some reason this don't seem to get me anywhere since I do tutorials on all subjects and trying to improve but my work still looks not even good enough for an entry level position. Thats why I assume I must've missed something or maybe it's just a lack of talent and understanding...I don't know.
This maybe sounds whiny but I really have no idea on how to get over that.

I really need some help on this and the overall subject because these bits I seem to miss are driving me nuts...

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The wall in the restroom is too shiny.

The layout of the restroom is odd. Very few restrooms have large windows. Urinals should also be on just one of the walls; their current layout would lead to some... awkward... social interactions.

The bricks in the basement just don't feel right. The pattern of the missing plaster doesn't seem natural, and I'd expect a great deal of debris on the floor from that much plaster. The falling bricks also seem artificial, reading more like poorly stacked boxes than heavy bricks.
  • AkiRa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you DWalker, I'll definatley fix those issues. :)
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Don't know of too many bathrooms with window viewing for pissing.

9076465529_80585d6df9_o.jpg
  • samifira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samifira polycounter lvl 10
    Not sure if CE3 supports vertex painting but if it does I highly recommend using it to paint a "grime" layer over those exposed bricks and broken walls as they look far too sterile given the environment.

Also, your walls, floor, and ceiling appear to be using the same texture. I'd change that up if I were you.

Seconding the debris comments too. Also having decorative objects of some sort would sell the scene. Light switches, outlets, janitor buckets with mop and the like, toilet paper rolls on the ground, etc.

Got some great stuff here, you just need to think about how this environment would look in real life and design/build accordingly.
  • AkiRa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks a lot for your input! I'll make the changes you suggested and post pictures again! Thank you!