Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Orc Sculpt

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
jmiles interpolator
Hey yall.. here's a little ditty I started this past week. Played with new brushes and settings in Zbrush,and made some brushes. Hope you enjoy. Crits are appreciated if you have any. cheers

808m.jpg
nj1w.jpg
ap5m.jpg

Replies

• maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    His left arm constantly reminds me of like a long lost ork bro of Thorin Oakenshield from the Hobbit :P. My favorite part is how crisp the metal shen guards and breastplate are.

One problem I personally feel is that there is too much noise on the left side of his face and when it comes to his right arm the pyramid triangles have a slapped on sort of look when compared to his left arms.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    cool man.. good calls on all those things. I was looking for a way to bind the blades of his right arm w/ those studs going through the strappings and into the metal. and one his face, I was going for a metal plate bolted on to his head.. I can see how it's causing some noisy issues.. I'll look into it again. Thanks
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    and yeah. I totally pulled from The Hobbit w/ Thoran's oakenshield.. I was thinking either, what if this guy picked it up after Kazak had his way w/ Thoran, or maybe he took a trip through Fangorne and managed to find a gnarled branch that wouldn't kill him..
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    I don't have anywhere near your skill so I don't like to feel like I'm over critiquing, hehe. I can also imagine that if this had maps applied to it just the distinction of colors might negate the noise on the face. But it really is an awesome piece in general!

Haha and I love that you made a story behind your model + anything from lord of the rings / the hobbit is always a positive in my book :P
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    I'm really liking how this looks but I can't say the same about how it's rendered. It's very hard to see what's going on in the high poly because of it. Areas are either blacked out or blurred out/obscured by bloom effects. Kind've a pain on the eyes.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    Ah Thanks for that SuPa.. I will work on new clay renders soon. I'm not thrilled w/ Zbrush's rendering capabilities.. can't seem to get it just right
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the detail and design. Great works so far.
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    Lookin cool so far; but I think overall he's looking kind of mushy. Even his leather/metal/armor bits kind of read like they're melting. Defining some harder edges in the more solid parts would help out a bit.
    Did you do his accessories with zbrush extracts? If so, I think doing the armor stuff with some hard surface modeling would give better results.

lookin forward to seeing more of this guy
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    i hate that shader!!! makes it really hard to see all your details but it looks really good from what i can see
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    Good crits all around everybody. Thanks. Yes, Daphz, I did make much of the accessories from extract meshes. I'll put more time into the hard surface parts then.

Hehe.. Illusive-- yeah it's pretty bad.. I tried modifying the MatCap Gray shader w/ Lightcaps.. not as effective as I thought it would be.

After I put some more time into him, my plan is to pose and decimate him, and then ship him to Keyshot and play with some render set ups in there.. I only have the trial right now, so I'll have time to potentially finish his clay renders off right.. otherwise, I'll set it all up in Max
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    some updates. I'll organize a tut so I can show how I got this result if anybody is interested

1uc5.jpg
    vswa.jpg
    zk2w.jpg