Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK Forest

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
bcottage polycounter lvl 13
Morning Polycount! I thought i would show you my new project i am currently working on. i think i am giving myself in till the end of the mouth to finish this one. Its my first scene in UDK so be gentle :).

I have been practicing hard surface for a while then it hit me...I have never done foliage before...so this is where i am so far. I will be making this a complete scene with a house and some other bits and bobs. I'm going to be playing with the lut today then start cranking out assets on a dayily basis.

Let me know what you think so far :)

rZry6WC.jpg

Replies

• Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fozwroth polycounter lvl 9
    Hi! Looking pretty good there :) I noticed some things about the trees. Usually Birch trees have a darker rougher bark towards the ground as seen in the image below. they also look a little dirty reduce some of that grain noise you have in the texture. Leaf texture may be a little thick, try to separate the individual leaves a little more to bring some more air into the branches. right now it looks more like solid chunks of leaves.

keep going :)

summerbirchtreesandroad.jpg
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    I'd add more contrast to the lighting. Light blue ambient light could probably help out at bringing out the details on the tree bark.
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Xendance: Thankyou for your comment, is this better?

@Fozwroth: Brillant crit Fozwroth, much appreciated. Yep, turned on a few lights after reading your comment, will defiantly go back and change the bark for the next update. I changed the leafs slightly now, i actually intended for them to be quite think so i could control the shadows on the ground.

Little update: (screenshot, nothing high res just yet)

1. Added a water well with bucket
    2. Placed a wagon wheel up against the water well (for negative space composition)
    3. Added a wagon
    4. Changed LUT (about a million times)
    5. Placed a few lights (wagon and well) to help lift geometry
    6. Played with fog changing the colour to blue to puch the colour pallet (might make fog more dence, not quite sure yet)
    7. Changed overall lighting
    8. Changed spec on the flowers to make them pop

Ilrvsej.jpg

Things to add:

1. Mountains in far left background
    2. Model fence
    3. Model another plant and maybe a taller blue/purple flower (some sort of lavender flower maybe?)
    4. Model house (still cant decide what type yet *sigh*)
    5. Model Axe and cut up pieces of wood
    6. Change composition (will be complete after implementation of house)
    7. Make bark less dirty and add the typical silver birch marks towards bottom section

Future idea:

1. Create a night scene so when you scroll over image in my website the scene turns to a night setting with sexy lighting?
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update:

qviY0TQ.jpg

I think i might spend all day tomorrow reworking the lights and then play with the lut before i take this further.

Any suggestions?
  • Pioldes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pioldes polycounter lvl 5
    I'd tone down the pink hue that most of the image has. Your lighting looks good, but I'm not too sure about the color, I feel it should be more orange than red/violet for a more natural look :)

Maybe you should try pushing it a bit towards that: 4cdd4ed6-bc71.jpg

Anyway, good job so far!
  • alvordr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alvordr polycounter lvl 6
    I agree with the last comment. I think that an orange/yellow tone would help greatly.
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pioldes

Totally agree, i decided to completely delete the LUT and start back from the beginning with the lighting.

Not entirely sure what i want yet but i will slowly build it up over time. I am going to concentrate on building the church for the time being to see where that takes me :)

t7k0NTO.jpg

Rose window church piece:
    TMkhp5D.png
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mini update:

I couldn't help but play with a few things in the scene before i get cracking with the church windows and doors.

Changed:

-composition (slightly)
    -grass
    -fern
    -position of wagon
    -position of church
    -tree spec

s6BzTFu.jpg
  • steppan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steppan polycounter lvl 8
    I like where this is going, and it's nice to see the progress.
    One thing that I have noticed is that some of the grass have very high spec values and appear to glow, this may be something worth looking into.
    Also if you are to have orange lighting I would consider making the light angle more shallow. At the moment the sun appears too high up in the sky to be regarded as a sun rise/set.

Keep on posting updates regardless of whether you are getting comments. People may not necessarily have something to say at that point in time, but it's good to see the progress one's been through
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @steppan

Thanks for the encouragement man means alot :).
    Totally agree with the grass spec, i will look into this straight away. And as for the sun height i actually didn't notice how how it was intill now haha. I will fix these things now and get back to you tonight/tomorrow morning.

Thank you again, i appreciate any comments :)
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fozwroth polycounter lvl 9
    nice to see some progress! I like this shot a lot better. The bloom on the leaves of the trees might be a little intense/ broad ? might also be personal taste.

would still like to see you push the trees a little further ;)

I'm getting a slight Skyrim feel here so I'm going to link an example below from the game :)

screenshot64xedw.jpg
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Foxwroth

Thanks man, really appreciate it. Bloom is currently turned off so i need to tone down the spes a bit more as i can see they are a bit too...glowy?

Dont you worry, im going to keep cracking at them intill you approve haha.

Damn, thoes silver birches look beautiful, i think they used speed tree, would it be cheating if i gave that a go? hmmm maybe completly redoing the trees is something i will think about further down the line..

Gonna get cracking on my church windows tomorrow so i will put up some sort of update then :)
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    nice rose window! Maybe bang it up a tad in zbrush??
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @looprix

Will do sir. I am going to model all the church elements then take them into z brush one by one an add a bit of character (damage). This scene is set in the 1800's so the damage won't be massive but I will add some, thankyou for the advice man.
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing special to show today in terms of updates. Just been working on a high poly render/lighting setup that i will be using for my website. What do you think?

Personally i like the lighting but not to keen on the plain grey background and the title stuff at the bottom, will work on different variants tonight.

YKMPiaG.jpg
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Well it's certainly... psychadelic so far :poly121: