Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Revolver Project

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
RashedAlmetrami polycounter lvl 10
Now finished university and using the summer to hopefully improve on my skills. Creating a Revolver gun currently.

High Poly so far..

3ejXs.jpg

Still have a quite a bit to do to this thing, will keep updating!

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The trigger guard seems to wide at the moment. You might want to post a reference, or at least the name of the revolver.
  • DannSw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DannSw polycounter lvl 10
    You definitely want to try and slightly exaggerate your control loops so that you get a nice normal bake. As DWalker says, it would be good to see your reference so that there is something to compare it against.
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Nice so far dude.
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dwakjer I know what you mean, I think the gun is a bit too thick.

@DannSw What do you mean by exaggerate my control loops? Do you mean to make the curve far less sharp so that when it bakes I won't get hard edges?

Also here is the reference image I am using.
    3eQFu.jpg

Thanks everyone! will post an update when I have done more and updated what you all said.
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on my revolver! Now modelled a few extra parts. Still need to add extra detail onto a few of the meshes.

3jEiE.jpg

How is it looking?
    3jEm6.jpg
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    it looks squashed in your viewport. are you sure the image you are using is proportioned to the plane you put it on?
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks clean and good to me.
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @garriola, yes it fits the plane that I used.

@Thepapercut Thanks!
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Model looks good, but most of the edges are WAY too tight. You won't get great results if you bake with that.
    It also looks like there's some distortion in certain places, like on the cylinder.
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    komaokc wrote: »
    Model looks good, but most of the edges are WAY too tight. You won't get great results if you bake with that.
    It also looks like there's some distortion in certain places, like on the cylinder.

Hey Komokc,

Thanks for the feedback, could you indicate which edges are too tight? If I make the support edges any further from main Edge the corner looks too smooth?
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update!
    I have gone over many of the support edges, making them a lot less sharp. Have I loosened the edges correctly?
    I have also added some detail to the front of the gun as well as working on a bit of the topology.

3kjEl.jpg
    3kjK9.jpg

Still need to add the small screw hole in the handle, add the small detail on the revolver chamber and the small metal thing on top of the gun; next to the hammer.
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Run into a small problem when Adding some detail to the revolver chamber.

I am trying to add this section of the detail

3lDCG.jpg

This is what I have done so far.

3lDEQ.jpg
    3lDGq.png

The topology just doesn't seem like it is as efficient as it could be. I still have to add some support edges but that creates horrible edges in a few different places.

3lDLd.jpg

How would I go about Adding in this detail without removing the smoothness surrounding the detail?
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to fix my previous issue by using floating geometry, however it doesn't work out too well..

3lIE7.jpg

It creates a very unclean Normal map Bake..

Any suggestions?

3lINg.jpg

3lINL.jpg
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! Slow progress lately as I have recently got myself a Computer that can support the software I use. Now adding a few extra bits to the high-poly. I am now creating the side hinge that you rotate to release the chamber.

Here is what I am trying to create.

3sW0k.jpg

This is what I have so far.
    3sVX4.png

I am trying to create the bumpy texture on the top of it but am not sure how I would go about adding that much detail into such a small space..

Any ideas?
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    You don't model it in, and later when you baked your normals you add it in with Ndo, or the xnormal PS filter, or something similar.
    Saves time, and if you decide later on that's to large/big you can easily change it.

And if that picture isn't deceiving me, the shape is off, the side where the screw is is thicker, the part where the pattern is has a curve to it (to put your finger "in" it).
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv wrote: »
    You don't model it in, and later when you baked your normals you add it in with Ndo, or the xnormal PS filter, or something similar.
    Saves time, and if you decide later on that's to large/big you can easily change it.

And if that picture isn't deceiving me, the shape is off, the side where the screw is is thicker, the part where the pattern is has a curve to it (to put your finger "in" it).

Thanks Joeriv!

I will change the shape of the object a bit tomorrow, thanks for your help.
  • ausernottaken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That cylinder needs more geometry to allow that indent to smooth in properly.

9RYpUAh.jpg
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That cylinder needs more geometry to allow that indent to smooth in properly.

9RYpUAh.jpg

Hi Ausernottaken,

Thanks for your feedback and the accompanied image to help get your image across. By "that cylinder" I assume you mean the revolver's chamber?

Thanks again!
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Need some more help >.<

I am trying to create this part of the revolver.
    3zKGh.jpg

This is my current topology, however I think that it is terribly done and cannot think of how I would go about this...

Any help is much appreciated!

3zKwP.png
    3zKy9.png
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    im sorry to bring the bad news, but after garriola mentioned it, I checked it in photoshop and its clearly
    stretched (photoshop magic)

squ.png

"It fits the plane I used"

you mean you put the texture on and it was perfectly displayed on it right ?
    Its disorted to fit on the plane actually
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    The good news is, if you created everything accurate to the stretched image, You can just stretch the reference plane back down along with all the geometry and have things more or less where they need to be.

As for the spot your trying to fix, Would you mind pointing it out? I'm unsure of which spot your trying to tackle.

edit: Derp. its painted in black on a black gun -___-. Next time you might use a brighter color to point out a certain area. :)

Anywho. I think the key to that spot will be to have the right shape and block out before you start supporting it, and have plenty of geo. Its hard to explain "how" to do it. You kinda just gotta do it. I'll try to model out and example quick and see if that helps.
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @shrike - I have scaled the plane correctly to the measurements i was gave in photoshop.
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Giving the thumb holder another go, as my topology before all around the object was pretty horrible.

old attempt ( was ok but detail lines starting messing things up on the left of the object, as well as the other side of the gun)

3OwQN.jpg

New try

3Oxun.jpg

Any ideas on how the topology should form? :S

Thanks!
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Topology has now been reformed. Going to start on the other side of the gun now.

3ZgLG.png
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    I think the trigger guard is a bit too thin, looking at your reference. Nice work though, otherwise and like others have said, just watch your edge loops aren't too tight.

What University are you studying at?
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
    Hey,sorry if I didn't read all the thread,I saw you where stuggling to get a good cylinder on page one,so you could try following a tutorial I wrote some time ago,let me look for it...

...here it is (image below)

After you do that,collapse 1-2 iterations of turbosmooth,then you do that extrustion you where trying to do (put an inset first on the poligon where you plan to do the extrusion),support edge & add some more TS,shold do the trick without any pinch :)

After you do that
    barrelg.png
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,sorry if I didn't read all the thread,I saw you where stuggling to get a good cylinder on page one,so you could try following a tutorial I wrote some time ago,let me look for it...

...here it is (image below)

After you do that,collapse 1-2 iterations of turbosmooth,then you do that extrustion you where trying to do (put an inset first on the poligon where you plan to do the extrusion),support edge & add some more TS,shold do the trick without any pinch :)

After you do that
    barrelg.png

Thank you so much, this is amazing! I feel i can create that chamber with ease now :)

@Auldbenkenobi I am currently at Stafford University, moving onto my second year in september. Will take another look at the trigger guard.
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coming back to this, I am now creating the chamber like the tutorial above. all is good however im not sure how to add in the extra detail on the side of the chamber.. This is what I have got so far..

48PG4.png

it works well however the support edges (which I have welded the end points together) don't "flow" anywhere.. any ideas?

Trying it with etra detail from the start.. Not sure if it will work however.

48PJB.png
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When turbosmoothing, i get a nice result, however the n-gons are a problem still..

48Toq.png

48Tqc.png
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    decided to weld the points into tris, continued on with the chamber but now i get some horrible pinching..

48UrH.jpg

48Uu6.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you don't want the pinch,you have to close the edgeloops around the cylinder instead of collapsing them into triangles,most of the time.Collapsing stuff is ok when you have a flat surface & tris or ngons don't create any visible distortion since the surface is flat,totally not ok in this case.

Also,quoting my last reply:
    After you do that,collapse 1-2 iterations of turbosmooth,then you do that extrustion you where trying to do
    that was intended to keep an uniform polygon flow while increasing the polygon density of the mesh, that allows you to put the fine details while minimizing a lot the pich,if you do it correctly you will end up without any pinch:thumbup:

EDIT: check this tutorials http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86882 ,the third/fourth show you that you can do pretty much wathever you want without pinch if you have enough polygons in there
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you don't want the pinch,you have to close the edgeloops around the cylinder instead of collapsing them into triangles,most of the time.Collapsing stuff is ok when you have a flat surface & tris or ngons don't create any visible distortion since the surface is flat,totally not ok in this case.

Also,quoting my last reply:

that was intended to keep an uniform polygon flow while increasing the polygon density of the mesh, that allows you to put the fine details while minimizing a lot the pich,if you do it correctly you will end up without any pinch:thumbup:

EDIT: check this tutorials http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86882 ,the third/fourth show you that you can do pretty much wathever you want without pinch if you have enough polygons in there

Thanks marcus, you have been great help xD

I have never really edited a mesh after turbosmoothing it. I will give it a go.

Thanks again, will post my results!
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have never really edited a mesh after turbosmoothing it. I will give it a go.

For that it is pretty much indispensable that you are 100% aware about how to use the Constraint option while moving vertex around (edge & face constraint) , it is pretty much the thing that prevents you from screwing a mesh with lot of polygons,if you stick with that you'll be fine.

Also before you proceed,watch this video http://vimeo.com/10941211 ,il will clear up so many doubts about hard surface modeling:thumbup:
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the link marcus.

I have now finally finished the revolver's chamber, it now just needs some small details on the ends but they're easy.

I went back to editing the before-turbosmooth topology but will try hard-surface modelling soon.

4asPw.jpg
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    @shrike - I have scaled the plane correctly to the measurements i was gave in photoshop.

Atleast 2 people percieved it as wrong and the check confirmed it as stretched, the images dont lie ; )
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you elaborate? What is stretched? the image or the model?
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ..... After putting the image in photoshop again, I now have different measurements.. Now added in the correct dimensions and I see what you mean ^^

4aC33.jpg

I will change the width of the mesh after finishing the main piece.
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back again! I have now fixed most of the stretched meshes :)

Was trying to add some small details to the middle of the chamber. When working with the object un-turbosmoothed I couldnt add in all the support edges I needed.

4d9Rw.png

4d9Ta.jpg

Any idea how I would add in the support edges?

I decided to turbosmooth with 2 iterations then collapse. To add in detail that way. After adding the detail I turbosmoothing twice more, I now have this..

4d9Fc.jpg

What do you think? Does it look off?

Thanks!
  • KnechtRuprecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KnechtRuprecht polycounter lvl 6
    I wouldn't model such small detail. It won't show up in your bakes, so you are wasting your time on little details.
    If you want to model it i would suggest to add more sides to the cylinder, so you have more support.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    KnechtRuprecht is correct - if you want to model in such details you need to use more geometry in your cylinder to force the shapes. 12 sided cylinders do not have the proper amount of edges to support such modeling work.
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see ok, thanks guys, I will continue working on the other parts then.