Home Technical Talk

Grouped Chracter Mesh & Skeleton - Not Moving Together- Maya 2012

bpears
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
bpears polycounter lvl 4
Hi, I have rigged my character mesh to a skeleton, and grouped them together. When I move that group, the skeleton moves at a different pace then the mesh. How can I fix this? Working in Maya2012 Thank you.

Replies

• bpears
    Offline / Send Message
    bpears polycounter lvl 4
    it moves fine if I just move the skeleton, it all moves together. But I would like to be able to group it with it's mesh.
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    If you select a parent and a child--in your case, a group and the skeleton inside the group--the transformations you make stack. So as an example, if the child moves 1 unit and the parent moves 1 unit, the total distance covered by the child is 2 units.

If you want something to move as a group, you only move the highest parent in the hierarchy.
  • bpears
    Offline / Send Message
    bpears polycounter lvl 4
    Bartalon wrote: »
    If you select a parent and a child--in your case, a group and the skeleton inside the group--the transformations you make stack. So as an example, if the child moves 1 unit and the parent moves 1 unit, the total distance covered by the child is 2 units.

If you want something to move as a group, you only move the highest parent in the hierarchy.

So, I should put each in a unique group and just leave the mesh group alone? And I could then just put all character meshes into the same group since they no longer have an effect, but not the skeletons?
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Well, by the time you have a fully fleshed out rig you will probably have a universal controller for the character in question which will end up moving everything with it. Groups aren't really necessary for rigged models.
  • bpears
    Offline / Send Message
    bpears polycounter lvl 4
    I am only putting joints in, for animation in Unity. So I won't have any character controllers, IK, or any of that.
  • Illusions
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    It looks like you're mixing usage of groups used for animation and groups for organization. For instance, I could have a group called Spheres_GRP, and have redSphere_GEO, blueSphere_GEO, and greenSphere_GEO in it for organizational purposes. I could also group together redSphere_Outter_GEO and redSphere_Inner_GEO, and animate the group so that they move/rotate/scale/etc. together (I could also parent them, link attributes). In your case you could have a group called MyCharacter, and inside this group would be MyCharacter's geometry, skeleton, controllers, etc. but you would not animate, move, etc. this group since its only for organizational purposes. Which brings up the point, why do you want to group the skeleton and mesh together and then move them?