Home Technical Talk

Texturing Buildings for a game engine in Maya2012?

bpears
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
bpears polycounter lvl 4
Hi. I am trying to figure out the how to go about texturing buildings for a game engine, using tilable textures.

I've used Google Sketchup, and love how you can just click with the paint bucket, to paint a texture, and it will line it up around edges. So easy! You can click each face you want to paint the texture to individually.

But in maya, it seems really inconvenient, and I don't completely know how to go about it. Since there are windows and other extrusions, seems like it needs to be UV mapped, but how can I do this with a tiling texture? Or is there a way I don't need to unwrap, and can just click the faces to paint with the texture? Because if I UV unwrap it, I would think I would have to break it into a bunch of pieces and overlap them in order to get a tiled effect, but they would probably be lined up horribly.

The other way, would be to UV unwrap each side of the building as 4 big pieces, so the texture lines up, but then I'll need a much bigger texture, and it won't actually be tiling the textures that way.

Is there no way like Sketchup?

Replies