Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character WIP Critique please

rogermein1
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
rogermein1 polycounter lvl 6
Hi

I've been working on a new model, which I would like to get some feedback on. The character is supposed to be alien bounty hunter with a very menacing appearance (i.e. rictus grin, lost an arm and replaced it with bionics). I'm basically looking to see if anyone can spot deficiencies/things in the model:

Here is the main still image:

Lt2mivl.jpg

Here are the various camera shots and wireframe images to show the breakdown:

1vW2JcM.jpg

XZ35p7x.jpg

and the zbrush model:

adVUlyL.jpg

and the texture maps:

Pb0VSYL.jpg

All images are rendered in Marmoset toolbag. Final triangle count is 10,280 for the character and 2,050 for the equipment. Any critiques would be appreciated, especially things that I can improve. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Looks cool - I would probably say he looks a little too lean for the boots, kinda like something you'd see on a Locust Boomer from GOW, but because of they're bulky build they seem more likely to be able to shift the weight of them. I'd say the white on his arm could use a bit of grunge or dirtying up as its ultra clean. Also the grey pants complement the scheme more than the green in the original imo.
  • rogermein1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Torch

Thanks for the pointers. I tend to make the feet on my characters too lean, so probably compensated too much. Will have to take look at that. Yeah, the arm probably looks too pristine. I played with adding blood spatter on the white parts of the arm but it looked odd so I got rid of it. I'll try adding some dirt/dents and see if that pans out better.

The pants, I experimented on for a bit. Didn't want to make his color scheme too monotone but you may be right about the original color scheme. I'll look at the style again some more. Thanks again for the help.

rogermein
  • rogermein1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi

Just a quick update. Adjusted the specular values for different parts of the material. Took Torch's advice and made the mechanical arm less pristine. Also set the pants back to the original grey blue color.

ZsXw3qL.jpg

rogermein
  • alvordr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alvordr polycounter lvl 6
    Super nice work! I love the attention to detail you have here and the look is pretty unique. Great job!
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Looks good, but the one thing I notice is that the edges for most of the detailing is mostly softer than I would expect, especially from the metallic parts. Everything seems to have this same soft edge width; its about contrast and such, hard surfaces have harder edges and softer surfaces will be softer, with some exceptions of course. Keep it up tho!
  • rogermein1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys

@ alvordr, thanks for the comments!

@ garriola83 Thanks for the tip. If I could get a bit of clarification, do you mean that the rim lighting is too soft? Or is the specular highlighting for the metal material not sharp enough?

rogermein
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    i didnt mean the rim lighting, i mean the modeling itself.
    I am looking at your high poly model and it seems that the metal plates that you added on your vest just stick out with a 90 bevel rather than an angled bevel. 90 modleing doesnt catch normals as great as an angled one.
    like this for example:
    NormalMap?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=normal_slopes_hatred.jpg
    your plates and other layers of metal are not sloped, therefore its not displaying depth very well. They look flat but youre forcing edges by texturing highlights to the edges and it makes it look rounded instead.
    9011347282_75b97a7b2f_o.jpg
  • rogermein1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi garriola83

Ah, I see what you're saying. That's actually a really good point, something I have not considered in my works previously. Now that you mention it, I can see that it is a deficiency in the hard surfaces. I will need to incorporate that property in the future.

Thank you very much for a great piece of advice =).

rogermein