Offline / Send Message
Arno polycounter lvl 8
Hi All,

Finally finished this one!

3D_Metroid_Action_By_Arno_Schmitz.jpg

3D_Metroid_Front_By_Arno_Schmitz.jpg

3D_Metroid_Back_By_Arno_Schmitz.jpg

3D_Metroid_Wires_By_Arno_Schmitz.jpg

This character started out as part of the hard surface character modelling course taught by Josh Herman. We could pick a concept of our choice, so I wanted to pay tribute to one of my favourite sci-fi games namely Metroid.

The character ended up far exceeding the scope of the original assignment, which was creating a clean high resolution model. Besides that I ended up creating textures for this character, a rig that allowed for posing, an appropriate pedestal and all other steps to create an appealing image.

Modelling was completely done in Maya. Mudbox and Photoshop where used for the texture creation, and scene was rendered with Mental Ray for Maya.

I really enjoyed working on this colourful character, it was a great and often nostalgic experience.

Replies

• LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Woah sir... Extremely Nice.

Sexy topology. Awesome texture work. Beautiful pose and pedestal.

Samus would be proud :)
  • I Like Feet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing work. Mind if I ask for a polygon count on the finished model?
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    God damn it! Thats amazing. really good use of the spec map but I have to say I'm not a fan of the Bloom. Makes me want to play Metroid again.
  • lildragn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lildragn polycounter lvl 17
    Needs more views! Nice job on this and I'm not even a huge fan on Metroid's design. :) The only thing I would say is that the torso/midriff area should've had some gold accents to tie everything together, right now that area is too "naked" in comparison.
  • JamieRIOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    I love the model! So nice, and very clean. My only crit is that your texturing leaves something to be desired. It doesn't seem like you spent a lot of time on it and polished it up. I you were tired of the model and wanted to move on, I totally get it, but I want to see some really nice post processing and very clean texturing as well.
  • CyberGameArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CyberGameArts polycounter lvl 7
    Hey man, looks sexy!! How was that hard surface modeling course? I looked at the website-pretty expensive...but judging by the model it was well worth it :D
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
  • Delzhand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delzhand polycounter lvl 8
    Gorgeous. I never thought mixing some blue into Samus' design would work out so well.
  • sventhors
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
  • Arno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arno polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for all your kind words guys,

Just some extra info some of you have been asking for :
    The polycount is 307926 Triangles, the model gets subdivided at rendertime.

Regarding the course : I can recommend it, you need to have some modelling expiernce already to have optimal benefit of the course. But I don't think that is a problem with this crowd :) Each week you have many videos sometimes up to 5 hours. These are bit standart if you already modelled hard surface stuff before. But the real value is the critique you get from Josh the teacher, which is very constructive. And the webinars which where hosted a couple of time, where you can get direct feedback on your models via video chat where the highlight of the course and the most usefull.

The course is very maya centric, all the learned should easily transfer over, but all the lectures are thought in maya so keep that in mind.

All texturing, rigging, UVing, lighting, rendering are things I did on my own outside of the course, so the final result is going to be similar to the image with the wireframes I posted earlier.

Also for those of you who missed it, my colleague is working on 3Dprints of this model, and has made some pretty cool progress.

Misc_3DPrint_Metroid_SizeRef.jpg

Misc_3DPrint_Metroid_WIP.jpg

Misc_3DPrint_Metroid_Big_and_Small.jpg
  • GhostofOnyx242
    This is how Samus is suppose to look!! Awesome work!!
  • Arno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arno polycounter lvl 8
    Hi Guys, I know nobody has posted in this thread for a while but some people PMed me asking for a making of.
    Below a thorough description of the creation process on this character. Hope it is usefull to some.

Overview

I want to start this “Making of”, by giving a shout-out to Josh Herman, whose Hard Surface Character Modelling course I attended. I made this model during his 8-week course, in my spare time besides work, and had a blast working on it and learning from a true professional.

Over the course of the “Hard Surface Character Modelling Course” thought by Josh Herman, I had to take loads of screenshots of my work to show my progress to Josh in order to get feedback. Looking through all the screenshots in retrospect, it’s really nice to see the evolution of the model over time. This led me to the idea of doing a “making of”, since I have made lots of useful images showing all the steps leading up to the final model.

Before starting I want to mention that this model is based on concept art from the game Metroid Prime 3 Corruption. This model is fan art and the original design is property of Nintendo.

01.jpg
    ( Concept art is property of Nintendo )

Picking a Concept

I decided to make Samus Aran, as a tribute to one of my favourite game series Metroid. During my search I stumbled upon a concept for Metroid Prime Corruption that resembles the final model used in the game. Since this concept looked a bit more intricate then the iconic orange Varia suit, I went ahead picked it as my main reference.

Since the concept is a bit painterly in some areas I also collected a ton of screenshots to fill in any missing gaps regarding the design.

02.jpg
    ( This reference material is property of Nintendo )
    Analyzing the Concept

After picking my concept, I did a couple of paint-overs, studying, proportions, shapes, volumes and gesture.

03.jpg
    Starting the Model

Within a couple of hours, I already had a crude looking model resembling Samus. Although this model looks extremely basic, a lot of really important decisions have been made: the general height, shoulder width, length of limbs, size of hands and head are already determined and locked down. These proportions were established by adding new pieces of geometry and changing their global shape in Zbrush with the move brush.

After alternating a couple of times between Zbrush and Maya ( Zbrush for the shaping, and Maya for the adding/ changing of geometry) I locked down the global proportions and moved on to the next step.

04.jpg

Blocking in all my shapes

After all the big shapes had been established, I broke up my model into smaller pieces, defining some of the individual plates. During this stage I also paid attention to the already established shapes breaking up the planes into more smaller angles. Topology is not really playing a big role at this point, but if possible I tend to keep everything all quad unless it will add a lot of unnecessary faces. This is mainly to make things easier in later stages.

05.jpg

Refining my Model

Refining the model is always a major step, now I was committed to my shapes. At this point I separated all the individual planes into pieces and gave them all thickness. After that, multiple edge loops were added around all the edges that need to stay hard after sub-division. I use Maya’s smooth preview to see how the final result will look after smoothing. Being able toggle between smoothed and unsmoothed view allows me to quickly access what I am doing. I already used different materials in previous stages to colour code my model. In this stage I rely heavily on the specular high-light to read the shape.

06.jpg

Adding Detail

After the whole mesh is smooth-able (keeping its shape and not becoming one big blob) in smooth preview, it’s time to go beyond retaining the shapes of the block-in and start adding details. On this character all the bare metal parts, such as the gun, torso and back piece are quite detailed so they got their fair share of attention. After that, other parts such as the helmet and shoulder pieces got divided into multiple pieces along their seam lines.

07.jpg

Polishing and Final Touches

Now that most details were modelled, I spent some extra time on the subtle stuff. I made a complete iron muscle suit for the arms and neck area, so there is some interesting shapes being exposed between the various top plates. I spent some more time on the legs making them fit better with the rest of the design. For the final touch I added Samus’s face behind the visor and inspected the model for any pinches.

08.jpg

Posing

For the final presentation of the model, I decided on a nice pose, and put her on a pedestal so she has something to stand on. In the end two poses were created: An action pose to show off the characters powers in a dynamic pose. And a more passive pose to show off all the detail of the model. The action pose obscured a lot of parts by the hunched nature of the pose, so the passive pose was kept nice and open, shifting her weight more to one leg to create a subtle gesture. Both poses were made with a turntable in mind, so they needed to work from all angles. I had to take special care to solve any interpenetration of plates since I could not hide them off-camera.

09.jpg
    I took special care to change the facial expressions to match her actions in the pose. Choosing an angry expression for the active pose, where she is hastily charging her gun. Compared to a calm and neutral pose fitting the relaxed nature of the passive pose.

10.jpg

Texturing and Shading

Taking Iron Man as an inspiration, wear and tear was added to both the model and the pedestal. This means the entire model is properly UV’ed. The image below show how the colour, specular and glossiness map work with each other in harmony to create the desired shading.

11.jpg
    Mental Ray was used for rendering, making heavy use of the MIA shaders to create that metal look. To get the various metallic surfaces looking nice, you need to vary the sharpness and intensity of the reflections per material, creating contrast between the neighboring materials.

The environment consists of an HDR dome and 3 area lights for both images. I also manually placed volume lights on all the LED lights on her body to convince the viewer these objects truly cast light.

12.jpg

Presenting the Model

The final editing was done in Photoshop, post processing was kept to a minimal with only a few slight curve and level adjustments. I decided to keep the original environment dome in the background to tie the character in more with the surroundings and to keep all the tones consistent. During my testing I kept blurring the background out more because it was distracting the viewers eye from the main object, the character. In the end I choose to blur the background out so heavily no shapes are recognizable. But this way the hues of the background still tie in with the reflections on the metals, keeping the image more coherent.

A depth pass was used to fake depth of field, guiding the viewers’ eye to the more important areas of the character. After that some slight bloom was added in Photoshop to really sell the lights. Below you can see the end result.

13.jpg

14.jpg
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
    With Metroid being one of my all time favorite franchises this thread is pure gold!
    Amazing work, now all it needs is desktop renders ;)
  • phixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phixel polycounter lvl 7
    Beautiful work! I really like how it turned out, congrats on all the hard work and love that went into creating this. I'm a huge fan of Metroid as well.
  • Tenshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tenshi polycounter lvl 13
    Amazing. The effort is there from beginning to end.
  • ZeroStrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroStrike polycounter lvl 8
    Really Impressive.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    gonna bump this just saw the making of write-up. really awesome in-depth look on how you made the model great job!
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    I was your classmate in that workshop, happy to see it finally finished. :)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey dude, you really did a great job here, congrats!

Only crit I would say is on that torso, the stomach area and lower back its not looking too tight. In the concept I can see very interesting layering with those panels, and various degrees of line thickness and what not. On your model I pretty much see like little strokes dividing all the pieces up evenly on a mostly flat surface. This makes that area look sorta noisy and muddy.

However, you covered that area in your beauty render, I'm not sure if that was intentional or not, but well done. Really cool of you to take the time to show the break down and I especially like the expression you gave her on the beauty shot. Its subtle since its hard to see her face, but it really does add a lot to it!

Again, great job and congrats on finishing this!
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j4polaris polycounter lvl 18
    Fantastic breakdown of all your work, Arno. Makes me wish for a new Metroid game.
  • allesbraun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allesbraun polycounter lvl 2
    Hello there!
    This is simply amazing! As an old time fan of our lady Samus is always awesome to see other suits. <3

Have you considered creating a 3D printable version of her? If so, how much would be? :D