JacqueChoi polycounter
zzzz.. figuring which one I wanna do:

Gonna pick one that plays to my design strengths:

Omni Knight
Chaos Knight
Dragon Knight
Centaur Warrunner
maybe Riki?

Even though he has like 6 sets already in the shop, I'm heavily leaning towards Omni Knight.

Replies

• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Really really fighting with the DragonKnight Silhouette.

Not sure I can pull much out of it tbh.

DK_01.jpg

Trying a few things to distract from the armor lines on the torso... if Poly/Textures budgets allow.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    welcome back to the fold, friend. :D
    I think the portion you've got across the chest is a little small, but i really like them shoulders.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Thanks for that Keen! Does look a bit small.

My idea weren't working really well in ortho, so I did a 3/4 sketch:

DK_02.jpg

Still a bit worried I'm forcing a bulkier/epic type design that might be forcing aesthetic choices they didn't want. Wondering if I should just go with a character that better suits my strengths, or continue on with this.

Anyways, the idea I had was doing a hiberno-saxon style trim with flat colours (retaining it's WarCraft 3 roots already in the kneepads), but just pushing the intricacy of the metal work.
  • Don Don
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think bulkier/epic could work well since there are so many other sets available for DK. It would help set yours apart from what's already in. As long as the color scheme is still recognizably DK, you should be fine :)

I like the shapes you have going, but I think the top fin shape on his helm is actually contradicting the flow you've established everywhere else. What if the direction of the spike went backwards instead of forwards?
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Thanks for the Feedback DonDon

I'm wrestling with the idea of doing like a centurion shaped helmet (did a quick sketch of the side), but I might abandon as quite a few people have told me how awkward it looks.

I still think I'm wrestling a bit too much with the lines.

>_<

refine.jpg
  • Drywall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool man! This is lookin' really tight. I made a few sets for Dragon Knight... He's kinda doofy looking by default. Nothing's been made for him for a long time (to my knowledge), so it's high time he gets something new. That shield silhouette is killer. Definitely find some polygons to cover up his chest; I didn't do that, and I kinda regret the missed opportunity to change him. Also, people would say on the Workshop "Man, I like everything except his chest armor, voted down!" No amount of "guys that's the default chestpiece" would make that go away.

I actually like the fin, but I can see why people might think it's weird. I like the roman centurion feel, though, so I say keep it! It's not a design destroyer, that's for sure, so just do what you want to do!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Woah!! Sup Dry!

(BTW you made my favourite character in any video game ever in Tiny Tina!)

Yeah. Totally agree on that chest. Lines look like arrows pointing to his crotch.

I love the shield you made for him. By Far the best thing for this character.
  • Drywall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aw, thanks man! Means a lot, coming from another Character guy :D I'm really happy you liked her, she was a blast to work on. And also that shield... Gettin' that thing down to the right polycount was tricky lol.

I think there's at least one chestpiece for Dragon Knight somewhere, so be careful to get yours on the same slot or else you'll have a few folks complaining about double chestpiece action. Oh! And workshop people think you're doing a full recolor of him when you take your shots in 3ds max without that crazy black spec that comes from the masking, but now that taking shots in-game doesn't mean hacking the world, you should be fine.

I know you're not there yet, but damn, it was frustrating to see that sort of response even after taking the time to explain what was going on, and I'd hate for you to have the same happen.

I'll definitely be watching this thread, totally excited to see your awesome metal armor treatment on a character who needs it so badly!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    blah...

Sketched out a few shapes. Went with a more Dragoon style helmet.
    Not really liking the sword deets.

dktest.jpg
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    oh hello there! looking sweet man, nice job. I really like how thick the pieces of her armor feel, especially the wristguards and her waist. Voted :D

my only note would be on her weapon in the game-view shot looks a little one note, it might be beneficial to take some elements of the bow and separate their values more to have each piece look a little more independent. I think that would improve the overall 'read', since the bow is based around a handful of elements.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    boss sculpt on the drow! awesome
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    "My names jacque and I just pop in when I got something hella badass to show off."

I glad its finally submitted and being shown off :D Id love to see some wires. I might have to agree with bounch about the bow now seeing it in game, how does it read on dire or at night? Not sure how far you are allowed to push the colors.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Hehe

Putting it up again NOW!!!!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=219785623

Huge thanks to Michael Verhaaf (confuse-d) for helping me with these presentation shots: http://confuse-d.cghub.com/

Dramatic.jpg

Hoodie.jpg
    Quivver.jpg
    Arm.jpg
    Cape.jpg
    Shoulder.jpg
    Legs.jpg
    Bow.jpg
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Just to clarify the story behind the 'Thief-y' DOTA set:

I was having a few beers with former 'Thief' community Manager Adam Badke, and I showed him the DOTA set I had made during that last Polycount DOTA Contest.

After a few more beers, we figured, it would be a REALLY cool idea, to make a Thief inspired set for DOTA. So the next day we asked permission from Eidos Marketing. They thought it was the coolest idea ever!

So yeah.. I'm not getting sued.

XD
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Construction shots:

My concept sheet:
    Drow_Garrett.jpg

High Rez:
    Drow.jpg
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    congrats on not getting sued:icon60:
    Gotta love ideas that bubble to the surface after a few cold ones
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Well I guess I'm gonna do something for the Warhammer Chest.