polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
iniside polycounter lvl 6
ScreenShot0008.jpg
ScreenShot0009.jpg
ScreenShot0010.jpg
ScreenShot0011.jpg

CryEngine 3.
Looking for some critiques on what can be Improved.

Replies

• Grubber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grubber polycounter lvl 14
    Hi,
    Nice works. I would suggest to add more variation to wood texture, as for now it looks like everything is made from the same wood. And for example the ceiling or table and stools has the same level of tear and wear as floor. Or maybe this is just me lol
  • Stormfreek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is awesome work as usual man, a decal pass would really liven up the scene :)
  • EnteaGD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EnteaGD polycounter lvl 4
    Agree with the decal pass - the wood around the floor of the barrels in particular would be stained by years of wine/ale spillage (unless its a new build) and you'd have a great deal of discolouration above and around the lamps, candles and fireplace!

Are you done with modelling? Taverns like that tended to have lots of "smelly" objects hanging around the place - herbs, garlic, wildflowers etc - to mask the smell of sweat, beer and piss. This could add a lot of visual interest as well!

I really like this though, has bags of character.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Tone back on the cloud like pattern over all the wood. Also the spec maps seem to be missing. It makes the wood, metal, and stucco (or whatever) all read like the same materials. Your value separation is lacking. Take the image into Phoshop and greyscale it. Notice how close all the values of grey are. You should adjust those so the walls, ceiling, and floors can easily be separated.

Design is cool. More clutter would be awesome.
  • ThaSlimShady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThaSlimShady polycounter lvl 4
    Iniside, good seeing you here as well (Crystalker here)

I agree with parrot. Refine the material details a bit, because it indeed reads like they're all made from 1 material.

And upon further inspection of the images I see quite a lot of things missing so I did a quick paintover for you man :)

paint1.jpg

paint2.jpg

paint3.jpg

Paint overs, notice the fine details like sun beams, more spec on the wood and walls, overall darkness, tear on the walls and color diversity in the scene with more pronounced light:
    paint4.jpgpaint5.jpgpaint6.jpg
  • Endfinity Jon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endfinity Jon polycounter lvl 8
    Jeff's right, scene is pretty mid tone heavy. One of my favorite tricks is grayscaling in Photoshop (as suggested) and taking a look at your values. I'd be curious if you could post an unlit version of the scene and a lighting only version of the scene for us to look at. As much as there needs to be an importance on your texture tweaking, a lot of the scene it is being very evenly illuminated, and because of this, nothing stands out as being important and my eye doesn't wander about. I would wager to say the difference in unlit to lit is a wash of color and illumination over the assets.

Find your focal point (fire?) and push it. Then pull back some of the ambient elements and corners of the scene. Get that contrast in the scene and then push the textures and materials to accentuate your main interests. Let the light gradient from high interest area to lesser important parts of the scene and introduce a bit of color from one side to the other. I think with some material and texture tweaks and an emphasis on lighting, you'll have something really cool here. I'd really like to see your unlit scene and then a shot of the lighting only so I can get a feel for what you're doing and hopefully push you in the right direction.

Good Luck,
    -Jon
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Update:
    ScreenShot0016.jpg
    ScreenShot0017.jpg
    I focused mainly on ligthing settings and added one prop (garlic), although after your suggestions guys I defintly will add more propes later.

Sandbox cloud really use something like PostProcess Volume, as the interior settings completly destroyed my exterior look (not a problem here but might be in future).

@Endfinity Jon
    I tried to find someone to take turn on something like unlit mode in UDK in Sandbox but it seems there is no such option, Lighting only mode and so also seems to be missing.