Home Technical Talk

Modular wall distance/thickness advice needed

monkeymintaka
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
monkeymintaka polycounter lvl 7
Hi guys, I'm pretty new to polycount, but I have been reading the forums for a while now. I am creating an environment for my masters project and want to make use of modular sets. I pretty much understand the concept behind building them effectively but one question I cant seem to find an answer to is proper indoor-outdoor (or even rooms next to each other) flow.

I have trawled the forums and tutorials, so hope that this post will help advise me on the right steps.

Here is a rough floor plan of the school, my main concern is how to keep the walls on grid at the right increments of numbers if that makes sense?

Below is some ideas I was looking at to get my head around a solution.11235

Thanks for any help you can give!

Replies

• Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JoelBurgess/20130501/191514/

There ya go! :3

As for the images, you use the image-tags
    [IMG]imagelinkhere[/IMG]

Though it seems you'll have to upload the images to imageshack, tinypic or something like it for it to work though... pasting the imagelinks you had into the tags gave me the same strange result
  • monkeymintaka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, that fixed the links.
    I have read that article, it was semi-helpful (and a tiny bit confusing) with the hallway example...but it still doesnt show hallways that are opposed to each other, like one facing one way into a room, and the other the opposite way. I mean, walls normally go over the grid square of the floor, or are they on each side. I guess thats the thing that is bugging me. And also if I should have walls thick or just a plane, because I know light map /seam issues are abound in unity.
    Sorry for the ramble :)
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still not entirely sure what your problem is there, but, have a look at this one.. think that has the solution.. if the adjacent rooms is what you're having trouble with?

And no idea how unity treats double-sided shadowcasting or lightmapping in general I fear.

These are 30x30 unit grid-cells. Each closed wall with an inset of 2 units. Should be noted, the pivot points are all placed in the corners of the grid, not necessarily the walls themselves.

1. Corner
    2. middle (ceiling+floor)
    3. wall
    4. wall + doorway
    5. corner + inner corner + doorway
    6. end + doorway
    7. cell
    8. corridor
    9. 3-way corridor
    10. end/start + doorway
    11. end
    12. wall + alcove

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/995371/modularthingies.obj

modularthingies.jpg
  • monkeymintaka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome! That's really helful to understand visually what I need to build. I also meant to say UDK, I have been working between the two, but UDK seems more professional for my portfolio. Thanks a lot for your help.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Is there such a thing as wasted texture space in terms of tiling texturues? Not wasted geo, wasted texture space like on a plane. Like this http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/8032/29675558.jpg. This isn't a big deal as long as there isn't wasted geo or zfghting? I'm on my phone so I can't check but is the dropbox link the obj of these 12 types of meshes?