Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Core Overload models by Grubber

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Grubber polycounter lvl 14
Hi all,
Here are some model I did for game Core Overload: http://core.metagame-studios.com/

015sjc.jpg
014qwj.jpg
013tkb.jpg
012cm.jpg
011bdi.jpg
010lcs.jpg
009zrs.jpg
008vj.jpg
007vxx.jpg
006mpe.jpg
005zoa.jpg
004vno.jpg
003xlc.jpg
002oce.jpg
001imu.jpg

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Dude, you did some fantastic work on the game!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I agree with Jadeeyepanda, I really like this work, did a great job. There are some wavy curves in some of the textures, but it's hard to avoid that completely. Again, great work.
  • Grubber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Its really hard to identify which is which from your objects. If you fly over, they are all some kind of parts. It is hard to identify the scale of your space ships. There is nothing that shows a relation and usually they have small windows which suggest a big ship, but there are none, i would atleast add some kind of scale indicator.
    You need some kind of identification which is an engine and which a ship and which a weapon because they all are really similar in complexity

Also the 50% grey background hurts your images so much. Id either go for a alot darker grey (nearly all your textures are really light anyways) or take one of the 2 key colors of a mesh and put it in a subtle tone in the background for each image.
    (kinda like the win 7 taskbar works)

Also be careful with your carbonatron and electrobuzzer. For the carbonatron, you cannot mix 2 types of yellow in one composition like that. Citron yellow and Warm yellow are two very different things , and you cannot put both side by side. From the other colors, you need to make the citron go away and make it a warm tone. Same for the buzzer, the other colors of the buzzer want the yellow to be warm not cold.
    This may sound silly but it is really important.

Aside, meshes and textures look decent to me
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    I agree with the above comments and there's no denying that you have done a great job here!

In the future you should try to avoid generic low pixel warning stickers as they look really noisy and they make it hard to read the scale of the objects. I also find that I associate those danger stickers with existing real world objects like forklifts, not spaceships. In the future it would be cool if you could design your own sci-fi warning signs to help contextualize the machines.
  • Grubber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike, barnesy, thanks a lot for the critiques. I really appreciate it. I have tried to follow the concepts as close as possible. But the things you pointed out are true. I will definitely have it in mind then I will work on my on model. Thanks again!