Home General Discussion

Swearing in games

polycounter lvl 12
Online / Send Message
HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
Hi all, Ok got this thing in my head for a while now and decided to share.

(I am not saying it will happen or it has happened, just hypothetical stuff lol :D )

As a gamer we have had those moments when we lose our cool become like 15 years old and start swearing big time, either on voice chat or message chat.

So the thing that has been bugging me is what if you ended up swearing lets say a Senior Artist in EPIC or Crytek etc etc in a game ( you dont know this person) and in some awesome turn of events you go for interview to this person and your gamer tag is displayed on your portfolio work as your unique signature, sort of a bookmark you have that only you know that what it is about.
That would be some situation :D

:)

Replies

• leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    It never stopped poopinmymouth, AFAIK

also I don't think i've swore in an online fps in the manner you described, the word 'suspicious' is enough to type for an unfair player (if there's support for immediate spectating on the attacker)
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    That sure is an oddly specific scenario
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    i do whateva tha fuck i want noob, gg boom head shot?... uh.. crap i'm too old for this
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    headshots all day #idgaf
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    uh dont cuss anyone out online seems to be the best option?
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    or not getting personal (regardless of swearing). They're just strangers, if that affects the opportunity to have fun to the point of affecting work performance, then consider not playing online.
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goat Justice polycounter lvl 10
    Sounds like a good reason to keep personal and professional activities separate. A portfolio is about marketing yourself as an artist, and info like your name email and url would be better choices for image branding than a gamertag.

Not swearing at random people is also a solid plan. Can't say I've ever remembered the screen name of anyone whos cursed at me online... That would have to be one truly spectacular rant.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    uh dont cuss anyone out online seems to be the best option?
    ill fkn wrek u m8 i swer on me mum say it agn and see wet heppens
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    hmm, looks like "MomPwnr420" might not be the caliber of professional we expected
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    HAWK12HT wrote: »
    Hi all, Ok got this thing in my head for a while now and decided to share.

(I am not saying it will happen or it has happened, just hypothetical stuff lol :D )

As a gamer we have had those moments when we lose our cool become like 15 years old and start swearing big time, either on voice chat or message chat.

So the thing that has been bugging me is what if you ended up swearing lets say a Senior Artist in EPIC or Crytek etc etc in a game ( you dont know this person) and in some awesome turn of events you go for interview to this person and your gamer tag is displayed on your portfolio work as your unique signature, sort of a bookmark you have that only you know that what it is about.
    That would be some situation :D

:)

too late....
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm of the opinion that anyone who plays games online regularly probably has a pretty high tolerance for internet hostility... I don't remember any of the abusive strangers I've met online, same goes for most of the people I know.

That said I really don't see the value in advertising every facet of your existence to the internet. How many jobs has your gamertag helped you get so far?
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is why you should take profanity lessons from queen Jenna:

Jenna-Maroney-30-Rock-.gif

in the very very worst case scenario you will be remembered as a very polite & educated classy jerk

tumblr_m08e1e6tfA1r9qd2co1_500.gif
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Video games and salty language are my worst vices. I've always thought that spoke pretty decently of me as a human being. With that on the table, if you're not gonna hire me for being who I am, oh well...
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    frell wrote: »
    I heard it in this voice:

tumblr_lvjr1cOsUU1r6bre1o1_1280.jpg
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    Seems as though this is allocated to meaty games, I myself have never
    "raged" when playing games.

Also fellows shouldn't use profanity as often.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    What the fucking shit is fucking "meaty" games?
    And who the fucking hell uses "fellow" what the fuck is this cunting thread about?

/soedgy

Don't censor yourself to idiocy, the line in the sand is subjective and based upon the limits of those you meet, best case scenario is not testing anything stupid out before you know anyone though.
    For all you know you might be talking with Dr.PC McPrude of the SJW Clan, so sometimes being careful doesn't hurt, then again (from what I've gathered being a fly on the wall of this forum) your work should speak for you, the only thing you can add on top of that is not being extremely socially awkward :P
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acquiring a verbose vernacular is much more appealing than swearing like a sailor.
    One must hold themselves to a high standard and reserve such foul language to derelicts and younger children who believe "adult language" is mature.

"Meaty" games often one where folks are overcome by primal surges of adrenaline when
    being played thus folks tend to be ruder and more aggressive, while in the moment.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    valuemeal wrote: »
    Acquiring a verbose vernacular is much more appealing than swearing like a sailor.
    One must hold themselves to a high standard and reserve such foul language to derelicts and younger children who believe "adult language" is mature.
    Depends, consult your thesaurus too much and you'll come off as a pretentious douche, just be natural. (my quip above was exaggerated for the purpose of comedy)

"Meaty" games often one where folks are overcome by primal surges of adrenaline when
    being played thus folks tend to be ruder and more aggressive, while in the moment.
    So, any game ever with any competitive edge to it? aka, any game ever? :P
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Only when this happens 10 times in a row.......
    312158_544626765580034_625544502_n.jpg
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin
    I am well aware that was a stick type.
    It's a shame that folks are like that, I'd be interested in hearing folks use new
    and interesting words

Mainly the ones with inordinate amounts of gore and/or guns.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11

u r 1 cheeky kunt m8
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master

D:

In all seriousness though, bad language around co workers has got me into a few issues, just dont do it is the simplest solution
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    valuemeal wrote: »
    One must hold themselves to a high standard and reserve such foul language to derelicts and younger children who believe "adult language" is mature

4F0XB3c.jpg
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    The difference for me is how swearing is use.

OK: this is fucking hard
    Not OK: dont act like a fucking cunt.

One is to put more weight into your statement, the other is an attack. The second one is what I would call profanity, while the other is just words.

But again, just dont act like a cunt if you dont want it to bite you in the butt later. The guy you the give finger on the moterway, might be the bank advisor you we going to meet later in the day for a loan.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    I thought this thread was going to be about the use of swearing in the video game scripts

Seriously nothing feels cheesier than a character saying fuck every other sentence
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    ^ agreed... to me it always feel like lazy and mediocre writing when every other word is a curse word. I can understand one here and there if its appropriate to the characters in some way. But i am sure that there are more interesting ways for dialogue to develop in games.

As for cursing online... i always just mute, unless i am playing with someone i know, and then i just skype or something so its only the people i know. Can't bother hearing someone curse at you because you are better at a game... or whatever.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Racer445 wrote: »
    who cares

Pretty much this.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Profanity is the crutch of the inarticulate."

Most people don't mind it, I normally don't care unless I have try and figure out what you're trying to say by using a "fucktard to English dictionary". If "fuck" is the noun, adjective and verb, I can't understand what you're saying.

I don't like it when it gets bleeped out on TV, it just pisses me off, let it fly don't break continuity. If their bleep makes me swear at my TV, what was the point?

It can make people look unprofessional.
    At work there are a few people who get their fundies in a twist and we have one guy who strings profanity together quite artfully but people still complain, but I think that is more about the noise level and the keyboard slamming, all of it together ticks some people off. It's best to bite your tongue or only use it in a funny, non-serious way.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    ha aww I thought this was actually going to be an interesting debate about the use of swearing in games; whether it's necessary and or adds or takes from atmosphere in dialogue.

Most of the time it's neither, and is just another expression. But occasionally it will strike me as odd or unnecessary. For example swearing was added onto lines from the 'Back to the Future' game even tho those same lines contained none in the film. I found that in poor taste :/

Other times it can be amusing in a humorous context, "Shit the bed! There's a zombie unicorn riding a dinosaur! And it's coming this way!".

Sometimes it can be abit belittling on their part lol. I couldn't make up my mind with the DMC reboot, Dante & that fat old hag monster slob thing were just cursing at each other for 5minutes straight; at first it was amusing an ancient and powerful demon would profane in such a childish way but then it just became demeaning to itself because of just that and broke the atmosphere.

In actual relation to this tho haha I wouldn't place your gamertag on your portfolio full stop :thumbup:
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Don't act like a 12 year old twat and you have nothing to worry about....

If you do act like a 12 year old twat, then first you need to re-evaluate your life, and secondly, the interviewer probably threw you on ignore and has forgotten your gamer tag. But either way, you`re still a twat.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i swear all the fucking time, it's never stopped people liking me.

it's just important to know the difference between swearing and insulting. you can swear without insulting people and you can insult people without swearing.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea.....I would never put my gamertag anywhere on my website or work, that would make me seem like a 13 year old who is super eager to be in games and thinks he has to prove he plays games. its like adding a clan tag to your facebook or something.

I dont mind swearing at all, I do think sometimes the reason behind it can be super pathetic though, like anytime I see a bunch of guys/girls hop on the bus/public place and being super loud and over the top swearing just for attention/reactions because they are super insecure about themselves in any environment that isnt focused on them. its like saying cunt super loud and then quickly scanning your surroundings to see whos reacting to you, super pathetic, super lame. wheras a normal cool person can say whatever the fuck they want and dont rely on others reactions to justify themselves.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    your gamer tag is displayed on your portfolio

Why the fuck would anyone ever included there gamertag in there portfolio? Talk about totally useless information.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Autocon wrote: »
    Why the fuck would anyone ever included there gamertag in there portfolio? Talk about totally useless information.
    i agree it's kind of a wank, but some people certainly do turn their username into a brand
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    lol at someone checking someones gamertag "OMG THIS PERSON HAS A 100K GAMERSCORE!?" holy fuck we gotta hire this person right away, they must love playing video games. much more so than doing art, going out and socializing or probably even showering.

damn, guy must pwn at COD.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    LOL ^burst into laughter on above comment. Awesome @Pixemasher

Amsterdam is right some or it could be another way around, I think its good marketing only if you havent been rude to anyone online etc.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    LOL ^burst into laughter on above comment. Awesome @Pixemasher

Amsterdam is right some or it could be another way around, I think its good marketing only if you havent been rude to anyone online etc.

Dude, it's not like you're trying to get these people to play some Halo with you.

"I think I'd be a great fit for your company so please take some time to look at my work. Also if you're up for some Borderlands 2 later...?"
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    "I think I'd be a great fit for your company so please take some time to look at my work. Also if you're up for some Borderlands 2 later...?"

umm when people are talking about 60 characters CV on Twitter (different matter) and other big companies looking for alternate means of marketing than why cant you market your self on games :D. Well obviously not for that you want to get hired in some company but lets say you run a company of scale models and some game allows you to have customise skins etc so you use your company name in game and have your character/vehicle with your company colors, now obviously you a CEO so you wont play game why not have a marketing team do it for you lol.
    I know its crazy but isnt that enough we live in Mad World? :D
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    yea.....I would never put my gamertag anywhere on my website or work, that would make me seem like a 13 year old who is super eager to be in games and thinks he has to prove he plays games. its like adding a clan tag to your facebook or something

Or.. I dunno using facebook at all, let alone with your real name if you are sooooo worried about impressions. Funnily enouh you are the second person from that same studio I have seen with that type of attitude/judgement.

Anyhow in before lock.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26UA578yQ5g"]the word fuck - YouTube[/ame]
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I also came here thinking that this was going to be about the use of swearing in games, but instead found this rather asinine post about using gamer-tags in a portfolio and whatnot. I would think that it's much more likely an art dev remembers you for the dumb posts you make on a game-art forum than swearing in a game, but that's just me.

As for swearing in games, which is a more interesting topic, I can only say that I don't care at all. Swearing is a part of life, and should be used as such in suitable games.

People who say that writers who use swears because they are inarticulate is asinine in itself. There are as many authors who use them for good effect as there are those who use them too often. GRRMartin is a good example of an author who knows when and why. Not for the sake of vulgarity, but to express vulgarity in a character.

I write, and I'd like to write a game script one day (way, way) down the line, and I use swear words all the time, and I imagine that any game I would ever think of writing would contain them.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Game art forums happens to have "General Discussion" sections specific for these sort of random topics.
    Thinking is not illegal yet. The "hypothetical" aspect of this post was based on the facts I got from friends in HR and on some job guidance sites.
    Stuff like employee swearing at their previous employer on their Facebook page and they forgot to make their page private, new employer typed their name on Google and found everything about this person before even inviting to interview.

Personally i dont mind swearing in games as long as it fits, but what I find quite awkward is now sex scenes in games where you dont do anything. Movies are one thing but same mess in games, now that is asinine.
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnDUqof1KoM"]George carlin - The champion of dirty words - YouTube[/ame]

I fall in Carlin's and, evidently, many of your camps that there is absolutely nothing wrong with swearing. I do it all the time, it's just another aspect of language that you can use to strengthen a point, change somethings meaning or bridge the gap between thoughts.

There's nothing wrong with swearing. It's all about tone of voice, context or who/ what/ where you are saying to, at or about. Of course use common sense, saying: 'that's fucking bullshit!' might not be the most sensible response to being told that you have to make an adjustment to an asset.
    Stuff like employee swearing at their previous employer on their Facebook page and they forgot to make their page private, new employer typed their name on Google and found everything about this person before even inviting to interview.

And to be honest, if a previous employee flew off the handle after being fired and did something stupid like that, in my opinion, it should become public knowledge. As no one wants to work with a dickhead, I like working with nice people.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol at someone checking someones gamertag "OMG THIS PERSON HAS A 100K GAMERSCORE!?" holy fuck we gotta hire this person right away, they must love playing video games. much more so than doing art, going out and socializing or probably even showering.

damn, guy must pwn at COD.
    Maybe "oh hey look this guy has a gamer score of 12, so they've been making content instead of playing it good to know."

But I agree completely useless info, but I have seen some places ask for a list of games played, which I think should send people running for the hills.