Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

junior environment artist portfolio

Hello!

I'm just about to graduate from a Game Design course at University of Central Lancashire.
It's time to start looking for jobs (concentrating on UK, but I'm always ready to adventure elsewhere too), and I would love to hear any feedback and advice on improving my portfolio.

www.saijamaririna.com

Replies

• Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    your stuff looks pretty awesome too me. Quite a nice body of work coming out of Uni.

Are you using any cube maps for reflections in your windows? Right now they are mostly white.

In the Athenaeum, I think you could use some shadow underneath the bookshelves. What engine are you using? Maybe just SSAO would help this as well. The circular carpet looks too low pixel density, little too blurry compared to the rest of your scene. The sky should be brighter. The sky is your light source yet the walls are brighter than it.

Modular Architecture piece: The last shot the railings look black. Its a nice little scene but since it's so modular you could amp it up a bit with 2-3 more buildings.

Overall I think your portfolio is strong.
  • MDGM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what did you use to build your website if you dont mind me asking
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    your bethmoora scene has really cool atmosphere, it made me want to play age of conan and so I wasted the entire day playing it because of you :(.

you 2d stuff is really cool as well, keep up the good work!
  • S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S2Engine polycounter lvl 10
    Very nice stuff, and I especially like the presentation. The site immediately puts a bunch of beautiful art in your face, that's great. I would personally make your contact page a little more detailed though - for example that you're in the UK and such so that potential employers know your situation. I'd also prefer to have the resume directly on the page without the need to download it, as that could be a hassle.

For your pieces, I agree with coots7 about needing a bit of shadow below some of the objects. It could come from SSAO or you could even just make a simple plane with an alpha shadow on it. Also some of the pieces, such as the arches at the tops of the windows, could use a few more polys to round them out. Great work!
  • JamieRIOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    Really nice body of work straight from Uni. I agree with the crits from coots7.
  • saija
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the kind words!

I built the site with some simple html in dreamweaver.
    My engine at the moment is UDK, I just realised I haven't actually mentioned it as often as I should.

The modular scene is over a year old piece, and my first try at a whole environment. It's not technically very advanced. I don't think I have the files anymore, so unfortunately now that I know how to fix the issues, I can't.
    I have been thinking of removing it completely, but on the other hand, a lot of people have told me they like it the most.

Good point about the contact-page, I'll definitely work on it more!

And I'm so glad Bethmoora inspired gaming :D
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    I know Saija personally from uni and honestly she is one of the hardest workers I have seen in a long time, in or out of the industry.

I agree with the contact page, throw up a photo and information on where you are located etc! make it more friendly and useful.