Home Technical Talk

Maya Transfer Attributes

bpears
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
bpears polycounter lvl 4
Hello, I am having trouble with transfer attributes - normals. Using Maya 2012.

Short Version:

How do you delete source mesh used, while keeping normal info on the affected mesh? Freeze normals didnt help.

Long Version:

I have mesh that is split into several pieces, which broke the normals, so in order to restore those normals, and hide the seams created, I am using this tool. To do so, I have duplicated the pieces, averaged normals and combined mesh, then placed it over the original, and then used the transfer attributes normals tool. It works, but now I cannot delete the mesh I got the new normals from. I tried freezing normals on the mesh pieces, didnt help. So how do I break their connection, delete the mesh I don't want, while keeping the new normal info?

Replies

• gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    delete history first.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    edit > delete by type> History
  • bpears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bpears polycounter lvl 4
    Still doesnt work. I tried deleting all non deformer history, camt delete all history because of skinned weights... I'll try export/import weights and see.
  • bpears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bpears polycounter lvl 4
    EDIT: AH! it did work, thanks! just had to export/import skin weights. First time I must have done something wrong, but worked this time. Finally! :D Thanks guys!
  • bpears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bpears polycounter lvl 4
    I thought I had gotten it working in my earlier post, but now I can't remember the exact steps I took. Do you notice something I may need to do?

I've now gotten to the step in my workflow to fix the normals of my models. When I pull the FBX back into maya the smoothed edge between parts returns to a seam.

Here is my workflow for fixing the vertnormal seams of the broken up mesh:

1. Duplicate Mesh parts
    2. Average normals between the parts of the duplicate mesh
    3. Combine the parts of the duplicated mesh
    4. Mesh - Transfer Attributes - OptionBox (only vertex normals being transferred)
    5. Select Original Mesh - Modify - Freeze Transformation - Normals
    6. Export Skin Weights from Original Mesh and it's Rigg.
    7. Edit - Delete All By Type - History
    8. Delete the duplicate mesh
    9. SmoothBind Skin to Joints
    10. Import skin weights

I've tried exporting skin weights at beginning aswell, and also tried various settings in the FBX exporter geoemetry options. Can't seem to get rid of those pesky seams from the normal. Well, not for the FBX file anyway.
  • bpears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bpears polycounter lvl 4
    Am I missing a step or something. FBX won't export averaged normals, but it should if they are set to be the default normals through the transfer attributes- normals tool right? It seeming like this is impossible to do.