Home Technical Talk

Optimization for modular scene

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Chase polycounter lvl 9
How optimized do things like walls and ceilings need to be? I've been wracking my brain over this for a few days now while trying to block out the level. I have the understanding of using planes for the ceiling, walls, floors, roof, etc. I run into a snapping and scale issue when worrying about the small overlapping that comes from the floor/ceilings to the walls. This is what I've tried accomplishing....

60555327.jpg

Things snap and work for awhile, but then I run into problem areas where the planes no longer snap equally over the top of each other like this....
45710400.jpg

The grey planes are larger ceiling planes I needed earlier to fit the gap caused by having the floor planes snapped to the edge of the wall in the first image. You can see there's going to be another fitting issue where the arrow is. So, would having the planes underneath the walls be such a bad thing?
29675558.jpg

These are planes with a tiling texture so I don't see the negative to having the plane underneath the wall. I'm not wasting geo, I'm not technically wasting texture space since it's tiling. Am I wrong? The latter has to be overkill with modularity.

Replies