Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first try at low poly modeling, how did i do?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
hollandje polycounter lvl 4
Hi guys, it started out as a quick sketch but then I started doing the textures and I really thought I could try to keep it as low poly as possible and this is what I got, how did I do.

88pLlhb.jpg
nIQ24wr.jpg

Hollandje

Replies

• katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    You'll need to show a wireframe and also show us what reference you used....
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    The scratches on your medical box are distributed evenly across the entire thing. Think about what areas on a real box are more/less likely to get scratched, and in what way. Also, might be a good idea to post your wireframe so we can tell if you did anything wrong with your mesh (such as ngons).

Oh and while there is a need to be efficient with polygons, they aren't really the issue with performance these days. Just for your information :)
  • hollandje
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hollandje polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for your comments, here is a wireframe. The defibrillators are made from a reference taken from the game Battlefield 3. The medic box was just straight imagination.
    nIQ24wr.jpg
  • GragGunslinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GragGunslinger polycounter lvl 7
    Hey there,

So the problem I'm noticing here is that none of these props are actually...low poly.

A low poly "Crate" could really just be a 6 sided cube with a good texture on it.

If you take a look at the thread "low poly thread" all the models there are sub 1000 triangles. Characters, vehicles, props, etc and this small prop medical defibrillator is almost hitting that thread cap.

I'd go back and figure out how to sell the shape and everything with something under 100 triangles, that would be a low poly prop. Maybe ever lower.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    When you reference something from a game, you are taking a chance that what they do might be wrong...if you Google 'military defibrillator' and 'defibrillator' (for civilian versions) you'll be hard pressed to find one that looks like that. In fact the only ones are from BF3.

Reference is key to making something plausible. And one picture is generally never enough. Without reference, you get your box thingy....

As opposed to this....

Military First Aid Box

When you show wires and ask about the quality of your work, you'll want to show an unsmoothed version....anything else isn't helping you get a good critique.

My careful suggestion is to go back and start again. You have a good idea, your ambition to make something that can be made is well within your abilities....just take a bit more time in the planning stages and you'll get it....

Good luck...and welcome to the wonderful world of 3D. :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    You'll make it easier on us if you crop all the blank space out of your images
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    The handles of the defibs shouldn't go all the way to the bottom, if you know what I mean. You should be able to hold it with your hand...