Home General Discussion

Denis Dyack speaks out about Silicon Knights Kotaku article.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
http://www.destructoid.com/denis-dyack-promises-he-isn-t-scamming-you-254088.phtm

This was a local event, would like to hear what people in the industry think about this.

Replies

• easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    I feel for the guy. Has any one from Silicon Knights spoken openly about the situation? It seems to me that Kotaku wanted to hate the guy because they were upset that an X-men game didn't live up to the teenage dreams! Yeah, he has made a couple of crappy games and had a tiff with Epic but I don't see a real reason for all the hate thrown at him. Plenty of good devs drop the ball and make a stinker, look at Epic Mickey! No one is crucifying Warren Spector! I liked Eternal Darkness and have pledged to his Kickstarter mainly because I hate a witch hunt. It's a shitty world when unsubstantiated rumours can kill a guys career.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    I don't think a video like this is going to help his image in the least. Not after games like Xmen and Too Human.. and especially not after the law suits with Epic.

I have co-workers who used to work for him and they tell me stories of irrational decisions and extreme miss-management on his part.

Unfortunately for Denis, his name is becoming a bit of a joke rather than one people should take seriously.

I really hope for his sake, this new company of his does well.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    brandoom wrote: »
    I don't think a video like this is going to help his image in the least. Not after games like Xmen and Too Human.. and especially not after the law suits with Epic.

I have co-workers who used to work for him and they tell me stories of irrational decisions and extreme miss-management on his part.

Unfortunately for Denis, his name is becoming a bit of a joke rather than one people should take seriously.

I really hope for his sake, this new company of his does well.

I gotta agree with you, i also have talked to former employees from Silicon knights and that kotaku article seems more legit than he seems to make it in that video.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    This video is hilarious. He's trying to plead his case so that people will back his kickstarter. Yet... he goes on to say "I am sorry Xmen sucked, we honestly did the best we could". Soooo, remind me again why we should back you?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    33 minutes? Ain't nobody got time for that...
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I watched the whole thing, and honestly, parts I believe, parts I dont. How often do programmers, or artists or whoever have knowledge about company funds and how they are spent? Just because you see your studio focusing on one project doesnt mean they are taking funds from another...
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    http://kotaku.com/denis-dyack-finally-sounds-off-on-our-article-about-sil-508948428

The thing about that whole funds funneling issue, is Dyak is the first to bring it up, there was no mention of that in the original article that was published by kotaku, and there are quite a few other elements that Dyak speaks of as if it were in the article, which aren't present in the article.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I visit Kotaku regularly for gaming news. That being said, their reporting quality has gone down considerably over the last 2-3 years. So there is probably some truth in their long article, but seemed to be more about setting things up for a lynching.

In the video Dyack mentions that he is no longer in a supreme position of power (though on their website he is listed as Chief Creative Officer just as with X-Men Destinys), so I guess we'll see if that means anything has changed.

I'm interested to see the Kickstarter go through, I'm thinking that they should step up their PR engines to full gear. It's going to take a lot to get past the heap that Kotaku has been shoveling since they published that first article.