Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

FC3:Blood Dragon Art Dump

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
wizo polycounter lvl 17
Hey guys,

A tad late with this, but here it is, some Far cry 3 blood dragon art. I have invited some colleagues to post up, so expect some weapon art and more character work to be posted later on.

Hope you enjoy, sorry I don't have much in-game to show as of now.

have a great weekend! I am very proud to have been a part of this rad project.
all cloth was hand modeled yay, tho marvelous designer does some great things.

EDIT: sorry images will be down for a while.

Replies

• VESIUS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work and amazing game.. Seriously this game is a must buy.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Nice work, would love to see some more.
  • warxsnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warxsnake polycounter lvl 8
    Hey

I made all the weapons/first person items for Blood Dragon, here are a few.
    (Sorry for the aliasing in the in-game screenshots)

AJM_01.jpg

AJM_02.jpg

AJM_03.jpg

AJM_04.jpg

Kobracon_01.jpg

Kobracon_02.jpg

Kobracon_03.jpg

Kobracon_04.jpg
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    I just grabbed this game last week and i simply LOVE it! I love the fun high concept idea, the universe you get thrown into, how freaking hillarious it is, and the movie references. Fantastic job all around and i can't imagine how fun this project must have been!
  • mole420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mole420 polycounter lvl 10
    Really nice work, loved the game!
    Warxsnake, it looks like the high poly shots are from zbrush just interested how much of the work on the high poly is done in zbrush?
  • Adam_Jarvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam_Jarvis polycounter lvl 3
    Really cool stuff. Need to invest in this game.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    mole420 wrote: »
    Really nice work, loved the game!
    Warxsnake, it looks like the high poly shots are from zbrush just interested how much of the work on the high poly is done in zbrush?

I'm also curious of this. Thought it might have just been my mind playing tricks on me. But pretty certain that was a zbrush mat and lack of smoothing toward the tang of that pistol.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Really like your meshes , especially the weapons, sniper and pistol are great

Your pistol ingame screens have a lot of aliasing tho

Also you could really do more with your presentation , atleast with your backgrounds and watermark, your lighting in enging is really good.
    The far cry logo is really distracting and has colors that totally dont work with your meshes, I would put a black and white version as mark on them. Also very slight circular gradients with a little color tint would do really good. Your highpoly shader dosnt need to be grey neither.

Per example, some time ago ive seen some guy on CG hub doing all his hipoly models in yellow, it looked really good and I remember it to this day just because of that.
    You have the skills you need, try investing a bit of time in the stuff around and make people remember you with a special presentation and the quality of your work.
  • warxsnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike wrote: »
    Really like your meshes , especially the weapons, sniper and pistol are great

Your pistol ingame screens have a lot of aliasing tho

Also you could really do more with your presentation , atleast with your backgrounds and watermark, your lighting in enging is really good.
    The far cry logo is really distracting and has colors that totally dont work with your meshes, I would put a black and white version as mark on them. Also very slight circular gradients with a little color tint would do really good. Your highpoly shader dosnt need to be grey neither.

Per example, some time ago ive seen some guy on CG hub doing all his hipoly models in yellow, it looked really good and I remember it to this day just because of that.
    You have the skills you need, try investing a bit of time in the stuff around and make people remember you with a special presentation and the quality of your work.

Yeah I know what you mean, wish we had more downtime between projects but most of the time its literally just an hour or two before you are on something else.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    The woman scientist totally reminds me of the 80-90's scifi movies, well done mate.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    warxsnake wrote: »
    Yeah I know what you mean, wish we had more downtime between projects but most of the time its literally just an hour or two before you are on something else.

How did you render out your high poly with this (Cavity?) outlining?

Kobracon_04.jpg

Far Cry has a physically based renderer if I recall correctly, was something like dDo used for textures?

Loved the game guys, It was a blast.
  • warxsnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron wrote: »
    How did you render out your high poly with this (Cavity?) outlining?

Far Cry has a physically based renderer if I recall correctly, was something like dDo used for textures?

Loved the game guys, It was a blast.

Thanks!

For renders, because of the aforementioned lack of time, instead of setting up a mental ray scene I decided to import models into ZB and get a quick, decent BPR render out. I'll look for the matcap name for you when I go back to work.

I do use dDo for textures yes. During BD, dDo was very new so it was a major learning process.

Now I've gotten used to it, (it still has some annoying bugs, maybe because we dont use the latest PSCS but I digress). I use dDo for 80% of detailing and go in and add unique details with PS brushes like I always did to avoid the generic look you might get if you solely use dDo.
    As for physically correct, yeah, a lot of modifications (diffuse darkness, map splitting) are done to the default dDo settings to accommodate it to our materials.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Let me start of by saying; I think Far Cry 3 is awesome. really enjoyed the game and the art was simply stunning in it. But...

I'm confused now. When Someone shared the trailer for FC3:BD With me, i thought it was a spoof. After having it explained to me, I get it a bit more, and I can understand a less serious stylized DLC, But with all due respect, What happened to the art? I really don't mean this in a negative way, and by all means correct me if I'm wrong, But this work appears to be a lower level overall compared to the original game art. Was this born purely out of time constraints or maybe the scope of the DLC involving so many new assets? Or was it an intentional....'Retro' treatment given to the assets to make them appear older for the sake of the style?

Sorry to be so frank. I'm just curious how you guys went from this VVV to the images in the OP.

QfU9zv.jpg

-Mike
  • warxsnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cleaner weapons, not as much wear and tear as FC3, reference being 80-90s scifi movies where most weapons are clean (robocop, total recall, terminator and so on)
    More basic materials to emulate the props used in those movies.
    Sorry if you were disappointed by them.
  • Memory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    Nice work, nice dump! The style and technique suit the time period and game well. No need for grunge/scratches everywhere.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    yeah it is lot more cleaner, simpler design, or even "terrible" design but that is what our creative director was after. clich
  • robinchyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really amazing work!
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    reference being 80-90s scifi movies where most weapons are clean (robocop, total recall, terminator and so on)
    I think it was pretty obvious what you guys were going for, seeing as a lot of the enemies had very "uninspired" costumes with little touches like motorcycle helmets and leather with zippers everywhere.

I seriously enjoyed every minute of this game. It must have been a blast to work on. I hope you guys make a franchise out of this. :) Can't wait to see what you could do with a full scope team/time/budget. Thanks for sharing your work.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Bravo! Really enjoyed the game guys. :)
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool!
    I'm still playing Blood Dragon but from what I played so far It really is awesome!
    Really love it.

The weapons specially are great. Really fit the game :)
    Congrats dudes!
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Cleaner weapons, not as much wear and tear as FC3, reference being 80-90s scifi movies where most weapons are clean (robocop, total recall, terminator and so on)
    Sorry if you were disappointed by them.

I was just a bit confused, certianly not disapointed by any means. But seeing as everyone else likes them, It must be me :\ . Your points above make a lot more sense now though, Thanks for sharing.
  • simps3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This game was the most fun game I've played lately. Please make a sequel. The art dump looks great.