Home Technical Talk

"FBX has detected turned edges"?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Chase polycounter lvl 9
and then converts my mesh into an Editable Mesh. Is this a big deal?

Replies

• Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    Shouldn't be an issue, it's just converting to editable mesh because it's trying to preserve the way the quads are triangulated. FBX, quads and editable poly meshes will export without that warning if all the quads are triangulated in a particular way, but most things you build that isn't a box will probably have what it considers a turned edge in there somewhere...

Experiment to see what it's complaining about>
    Make a cube
    turn it to an editable poly
    edge or face selection
    edit triangulation
    flip one of the dotted edges so it connects from the opposite 2 verts it is currently connecting from.

That's what it is moaning about.

If you import that FBX back into the scene and convert it back to an editable poly, you'll notice that the triangulation is not 'reset' or anything and it has preserved your custom triangulation.

But if it's not preserving the way you had the mesh, then yeah it would be a rather big problem, you would just have to manually connect all those edges it was messing with..
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This means you have some invisible edges that are flipped. Some programs like Maya force all non visible edges to go one way but in max you can make them go any way you want. It's warning you because those edges will be read and flipped once the other program gets its hands on the mesh. In some cases this isn't a big deal but if your model has a normal map it could be problematic.

Having theses non visible edges flipping can effect how the model deforms, how the smoothing looks, how the normals are aligned which lead to some unexpected artifacts.

Most people get around this by making every edge visible (triangulating the mesh so there are no hidden tris) they do this by applying a turn to poly modifier and setting the number of sides to 3. You can then delete the modifier and go back to working quads with flipped triangles.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Well I applied a normal map to it and viewed everything in UDK but there wasn't any error.

Edit - I remember I bridged some edges and that turns out that's why I'm getting this export error. If I shift drag an edge and target weld instead of bridging I don't get the export error. I've been getting this error ever since I updated fbx so maybe that's what's causing it. I'm using fbx 2012