Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tulkas09 polycounter lvl 7
    Wow looks great!! :D any chance to see the wires? :P
  • fayesmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fayesmith polycounter lvl 7
    This is really nice. I love the colour, and the wood spec is reading well.
  • fayesmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fayesmith polycounter lvl 7
    Just took a look at your portfolio, some very lovely stuff.
    When clicking on the Colt image it goes straight to the thumbnail rather than the page.
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    Looks awesome! Could we take a gander at the wires?
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Model/normals look sharp. Couple thoughts on materials:

1. The little dings where the wood/enamel/clear coat have been chipped away is going to be quite a bit less specular and have a smaller exponent. ATM it seem as if those details only exist on the diffuse.

2. The wood diffuse itself could use a lot more range and contrast. unless you intentionally muted the "wood" effect of course. But most woods have wide range with darks, mids, And Highlights naturally in it.

3. The wood spec, And normals for that matter, appear too "perfect". Even once wood is clear coated or enameled it's surface is rarely like glass. As yours appears here, Except less specular. Which brings me to the point:

4. The wood should be more specular if it was intended to be coated. Highlights should be a lot more intense and possibly a tighter hotspot. Depending on how it read I think.

In this first image you can see the contrast and range in the woods values, And it makes it so much more striking and interesting. And seeing as you went with a blue/teal wood frame, I'd say you're kinda shooting for that! As well in both these images you can see its much more specular, Granted, it is under a very harsh light. You can also see in the second image, While small, The wood has a tactile quality. it wouldn't feel like glass under your fingers. I think subtle Ndo2 Normals could go a long way for you here.

SV-98-17.jpg

SV-98-20.jpg

In addition to those points, I'd add more damage, Dirt, Scratches, Etc. But that's an opinion more than anything. That entire style is quite used and played out, So more power to you if you want to stay away from it ^^ I guess its just hard to let all the space go un activated, and its easy to fill it with all kinds of age. But again, Preference of mine personally.

I feel like the Metal/Plastics could use a bit of work as well, But seeing as I'm composite and metalicly retarded, i won't even try to go there. Maybe someone else has some tips ^^

Just my .02. The model is looking solid. The right textures and the materials and i think this piece will really come together.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Looks badassimo, very well crafted, my only turn down would be the scope. The glass needs more work.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The scratch on the scope's glass is a fairly major no-no; those scopes can cost more than the rifle, and any serious shooter takes very good care of it. It's almost as though his life depends on it or something...

Along the same line, consider adding scope covers as shown in the reference photos.
  • elykk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good even if I'd prefer a natural wood color, but i'ts a matter of personnal opinion.

I don't know if it's like this on the real one, but wouldn't it make more sense if the carry handle was attached to the both sides of the gun, and not just on one side, it will be more comfortable to carry around.

Last thing, the trigger looks too thin and the trigger guard too thick (but it's the same on the real one)

Keep up the good work !