Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Updated 3D Art Portfolio. Critique Please

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
I haven't got much on there atm since I only put my best work there.

Any Critique on my work would be great.

Thanks!

http://carlk3d.paspartout.com/

I'm working on a Sci-Fi Level currently & Will be adding to Showreel at the end of this year (2nd year at Uni)

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I think giving this a read will be a good start:

http://www.jonjones.com/2005/10/07/your-portfolio-repels-jobs/

Your an offender of a lot of the points made in here.

Not sure if its covered in there or not, but...not being able to right click your images to save them is a turnoff as well.
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah not being able to right click is a problem, don't think I can fix it with paspartout.

Thanks for the link and input
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Showreel link is apparently a place-holder. There's really no reason to ever include an empty link. The Game Props/Assets is almost as bad, featuring a single image.

I'm still not a fan on white backgrounds for artist portfolios.

Your character's proportions are way off - he's just under 6 heads high (compared to 7.5 for normal people and 8-9 for game characters). http://www.idrawdigital.com/2009/01/tutorial-anatomy-and-proportion/ is a good starting point for the correct proportions for humans.

The environment section would benefit from wireframes & textures. The scenes are fine as an initial effort, but need significant polish.
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks DWalker, helpful info!
    I removed the Showreel tab till I have it ready at the end of this year.
    I changed the Background to a dark grey but I still working on the other pages. they don't seem to have an option for changing them but I'll work that out soon enough.
    The character's proportions I guess I didn't even consider I'll definitely bookmark that link for future reference & Include wire-frames on environment in the future.

*All page colors fixed
  • ZASkaggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This might just be me, but I'm not a fan of paspartout. The simpler it is to access the content the better. My brother keeps his portfolio on a simple wordpress blog for example, and while it may not look very fancy it has the benefit of being very accessible.

As for the art, it seems like you're really going overboard on polygons for the guy's toes. Let the normal map do that work for you.
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    There is a lot that could be improved. Here's my honest critique:

Portfolio:
    - As others said you can't save images
    - The thumbnails are tiny
    - First image of each gallery won't show up in the full view (Darth Maul, Shield and Floating Islands #1)
    - What do you want to work with (character, environments or weapons, etc). This needs to be clearly visible.
    - Too strong gradients, the banner is hard to read.

The floating islands
    + Trees look pretty good, could be better but they're certainly the strongest piece.
    - Everything else looks very lowpoly/flat
    - Model rocks and put them on the bottoms of the islands.
    - Blend in vegetation with ground better
    - Remake the barrel and bridges or completely ditch them as they IMO are the weakest here (mostly because of texture and how lowpoly they are).
    - Without the Cry-engine logo I'd never be able to tell that this was Cry-engine as almost everything looks so low-tech.

Barbarian:
    - Head shape looks weird, too pointy.
    - He barely have any silhouette
    - TBH he looks pretty boring.
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Point taken ZASkaggs I only went with paspartout over others like Carbonmade because I'm able to upload my Showreel on the home page.

Thanks for the critique on my models Nosslak I will defiantly work on much of what you said in the future, the CryEngine piece was my 1st year end of piece, I was learning CryEngine over the 6 weeks so my normals never really worked very well.