Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Don Draper's Office (Mad Men)

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Parralax polycounter lvl 4
Hi all,

I am recreating Don Draper's office from Mad Men as a portfolio piece and would just like some critiques to help me improve it.

Draper1_zps975c3970.jpg

draper2_zps6a7d11db.jpg

p.s. I already know there are a few shading errors which need fixing and I will create a background that will be visible through the windows and door.

Replies

• Parralax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any critiques would be appreciated
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The angle of the shadows indicates that the sun is quite low in the sky - near dawn or sunset - but the intensity indicates something closer to noon.

The white highlight on the desk in the second image is very odd. I initially assumed that it was a specular, but now I don't think it is.

The windows in the second image are far too bright considering the sun is on the opposite side of the building. Actually, after seeing some reference shots, those windows are supposed to be frosted windows looking out on the main office, so the light really is too bright.
    don-draper-office.jpeg

Overall, the lighting is far brighter than I've seen in images from the show.

Also, notice how shiny things are - from the wood on the desk and the guest chairs to the paint on the lamps and the leather and chrome on the main chair. Many of these materials will need some form of a reflection map, often suitably blurred.

The guest chairs have a wicker backing, not the solid cloth yours seem to have.

Try adding clutter to the desk to give it a more lived-in look. (See above photo.) You are missing the phone, which is a major must-have item for any office worker, especially in that era.
  • StuButler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StuButler polycounter lvl 9
    You have a lot of inaccuracies in the scene as far as doing a simple compare contrast sort of spot the difference review, in quite a few places you seem to have simplified objects, quite a few things need to be revisited as far as scale is concerned.

I'd look to use geometry for the other office, not a background image, put the effort in and it will make your piece better and give a better opinion of you as an artist.

The other thing is lighting, you've started with the very bright, bloomy map in UDK which has a very specific lighting colour, compared to the image from DWalker, it is far to blue and bright. Match the lighting and this will feel a lot more like the show.
  • Parralax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys,

DWalker - I have changed the angle of the sun as well as creating a wicker backing for the guest chairs, I had already created the phone but must of forgotten to import it.

StuButler - I have re-scaled a lot of the objects in the scene and attempted to re-colour the lighting, still haven't got around to creating the other office yet though.

The new images are shown below;

madmen1_zps21bad4c7.jpg

madmen2_zpse9230009.jpg