Home Technical Talk

Messed up the centre point on my model. It's now Asymmetrical.

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
AdamE87 polycounter lvl 11
Hi all. So I've just discovered that my model is asymmetrical. I'm unsure how to fix this.
The red line represents where it actually mirrors.
jcalIiX.jpg

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Thanks!

Replies

• daemoria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had this issue myself just a couple minutes ago. the way i personally fixed it was to delete half of the mesh (hide half the mesh,then delete hidden geometry), use the move function ('W' key) and reposition the mesh so the center line is over the center of the screen. To assist in lining up the mesh, turn on the floor grid.

After that is in position, go to your Geometry tab, and use the mirror and weld function under the *modify topology* subtab. Your geometry should respond to mirror symmetry correctly now.

I hope this helps.
  • AdamE87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately that's not worked. For one thing, the model has multiple sub divisions, so I had to freeze the sub divs, and once I mirrored it and unfroze the subdivs, the mesh looked pretty messed up.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Ha - it's one of these Zbrush things ... I suppose that some obscure symmetry breaking event happened, but at the same time, since you never actually instructed the app to change the symmetry axis it just feels unfair. I freaking hate that haha :D

My advice would be to simply export the lower subdivision level to a regular 3D program like Max or Maya ; in there, adjust your mesh to make sure that it is perfectly symmetrical, with the tranforms all reset and the axis properly snapped to 0 ; export that back to zbrush as a fresh basemesh ; subdivide it ; and then use reproject all (with half of the mesh maked/frozen ) to get half of the highrez sculpt back on it. After that there are many tricks you can use to get the highpoly sculpt transferred on both sides.

Good luck !
  • AdamE87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Ha - it's one of these Zbrush things ... I suppose that some obscure symmetry breaking event happened, but at the same time, since you never actually instructed the app to change the symmetry axis it just feels unfair. I freaking hate that haha :D

My advice would be to simply export the lower subdivision level to a regular 3D program like Max or Maya ; in there, adjust your mesh to make sure that it is perfectly symmetrical, with the tranforms all reset and the axis properly snapped to 0 ; export that back to zbrush as a fresh basemesh ; subdivide it ; and then use reproject all (with half of the mesh maked/frozen ) to get half of the highrez sculpt back on it. After that there are many tricks you can use to get the highpoly sculpt transferred on both sides.

Good luck !

So far I've got one half to project, and it looks correct so far.

Apart from smart resym, which is going on now, what other methods would you suggest using for me to transfer the mesh data over to the other side?

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would think that the simplest way would be to duplicate the reference high to a new subtool, flip it, and then use that to reproject the other half ... but then again I cannot tell for sure - maybe it will create the asymetry problem again ?

I think you could also prepare a perfectly symmetrical highpoly using either dynamesh or mirrorx and reproject the whole thing at once... Tricky stuff ...
  • AdamE87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Righto, thanks so much for the help and advice.

What I did to "fix" it was edit the lowest sub div in maya, making sure it was symmetrical, then I replaced the existing mesh, which fixed the positioning of the asymmetry. The topology wasn't symmetrical though, so I grabbed the same fixed low sub div mesh, and projected onto it. That sorted it.

Thanks for the help guys! :D
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, glad to hear :)