Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP City Environment

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Parralax polycounter lvl 4
Hi guys,

I'm improving a previous project for my portfolio and just thought I would post it up on here to get critiques.

I know there are lightmapping issues because i have removed the lightmaps for now so that I can re-do them.

city_zpsfdc4c344.jpg

Replies

• VESIUS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very, very plain. From what I can see it's all just boxes that are textured, with the exception of the McDonalds sign and lights. The only real stylized building is the one to the far right that gets cut off. Also it just doesn't look real, too clean, no doors, vehicles, no real flow, etc..

Not trying to be harsh, but that's my opinion good luck.
  • chriszuko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chriszuko polycounter lvl 12
    Vesius is right. Likewise I am just trying to help as well. And this is what I have to say.
    This is a ton of work. What I would do. Start a new project.. abandon this one and go smaller. Smaller will allow you to focus on a few main pieces rather than trying to take on all of these different props at once. Maybe just do one really really nice prop right now. Then slowly get a little bigger. Its too easy to go too big.
    Good luck. (:
  • Clos323
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Vesius. Lighting aside you need to push the geo for sure.. this is looking like dreamcast/mobile device poly budget area. are you using reference or ceoncept for any of your assets. texture are looking flat and blurry in some areas. but keep going there is only one way to learn and that is by moving forward =).. i would suggest to model of reference and dont be scared to add geo..
  • Pookhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pookhan polycounter lvl 13
    Hey Parralax, what I would say is that you might want to stay away from making this scene. It is clearly Times Square or at least influenced by it. Because it's such a famous place, people will play 'spot the difference' between your scene and the real thing.

Maybe take a section of it that isn't so obvious and focus on that. i'm just reiterating what these guys have said but it's the best advice. Start small, and make it as good as it can be.

Good luck!