Home General Discussion

Blog / Resume evaluation

polycounter lvl 12
Online / Send Message
HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
http://hk3f.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

Hi all, been adjusting my blog and online resume for quite some time now. Got caught up in a situation where as an Artist and Designer I strongly feel to make a creative style resume / CV yet some people are suggesting me to make it like the example below. I have received examples like this that go to 3 pages in length :poly141:

Umm does it matter that you kinda tailor your Resume/CV according to the country you are in? I think if you do than you will end up looking like every other CV from that country and you will lose an edge.

Detail phone email location (Dubai)[FONT=&quot]Objective [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pursuing a career for utilizing my skills and abilities in the Technical field that offers professional growth while being resourceful innovative and flexible, and to add value to the organization with my best.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Profile[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]» [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Have 1 year Experience as a BTS Engineer in a leading company in India[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]» [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Professionally qualified with a Bachelors in Engineering in Electronics & Communication (B.E)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]» [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Have excellent MS office, Photoshop & Networking Skills[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]» [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Result oriented professional with excellent analytical and communication skills.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]» [/FONT][FONT=&quot]A quick learner who can easily pick up any technical skills.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]» [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Can handle multiple tasks effectively and very much flexible with time. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]» [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Excellent spoken & written communication skills in English & Hindi[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]» [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Good presentation & reporting abilities.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]» [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Expert in handling people & develop fruitful relationships, and renowned for being an excellent team player. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]» [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Possesses excellent organizational skills and can work well independently. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]» [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Young, energetic, enthusiastic, self motivated & pro-active.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]» [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Ready to undergo required trainings to achieve goals and learn new tasks.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Work Experience [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Base Trans-receiver Station (BTS) Engineer [/FONT][FONT=&quot]in Tata Tele Services Ltd, India.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Job Profile: [/FONT]
Ü [FONT=&quot]Operation & Maintenance of Base Station Systems (BSS).[/FONT]
Ü [FONT=&quot]Installation & Commissioning of ZTE BTS.[/FONT]
Ü [FONT=&quot]Maintenance of Transmission systems- (MUX and Microwave).[/FONT]
Ü [FONT=&quot]Establishing Microwave Links by antenna tuning.[/FONT]
Ü [FONT=&quot]Operation & Maintenance of DELTA Power plant.[/FONT]
Ü [FONT=&quot]Knowledge in CDMA and GSM technologies.[/FONT]
Ü [FONT=&quot]Monitoring & Troubleshooting network which having Internet and Voice Service.[/FONT]
Ü [FONT=&quot]Supporting core layer, distribution layer and access layer issues.[/FONT]
Ü [FONT=&quot]Processing and Managing Service[/FONT]
Ü [FONT=&quot]Managing RFS ( Ready for Service)[/FONT]
Ü [FONT=&quot]Receiving RFS notifications from PMO team[/FONT]
Ü [FONT=&quot]Validate & Processing the work orders & Assign to Activation Team. [/FONT]
Ü [FONT=&quot]Ensure the work orders completed and forwarded to billing for further processing[/FONT]
Ü [FONT=&quot]Generating MIS Reports Eg: Daily Monitoring Report ,Daily In Progress Report , Daily Completed work order Verification Report & Daily Postponed Work Orders[/FONT]
Ü [FONT=&quot]Monthly Shifting Schedule Report, and update detailed information of team members[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Technical Skills [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Electronics & Communication[/FONT]
Ü [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Ü [FONT=&quot]Sound technical knowledge on set up, implementation & monitoring of electronics & communication systems.[/FONT]
Ü [FONT=&quot]Skilled in all digital & analog systems including networking & IT.[/FONT]
Ü [FONT=&quot]Design & maintenance of analog & digital electronics systems.[/FONT]
Ü [FONT=&quot]Technical know-how on Satellite Communication & Micro Wave Communications.[/FONT]
Ü [FONT=&quot]Knowledge on telecommunication & broadcasting systems.[/FONT]
Ü [FONT=&quot]Knowledge of power electronics & electrical network circuits[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Information Technology[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Ü [FONT=&quot]Have proficient knowledge on LAN & WAN networks.[/FONT]
Ü [FONT=&quot]TCP/IP protocols, Wi-Fi configuration.[/FONT]
Ü [FONT=&quot]Planning, installing, configuring, maintaining and upgrading operating systems.[/FONT]
Ü [FONT=&quot]VLSI[/FONT]
Ü [FONT=&quot]Digital Electronics[/FONT]
Ü [FONT=&quot]Microcontroller 89c51[/FONT]
Ü [FONT=&quot]MS office, Photoshop[/FONT][FONT=&quot] etc.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Projects [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Title[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. SMART TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEM (Main Project)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Explanation: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]RFID readers take the count of vehicles (RFID tags) and assign priority with appropriate time for green signals. It can also give the details of Insurance, taxes, RC etc by 8051 microcontroller. We used embedded C programming for setting the time for signals in accordance to the number of vehicles[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Education [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bachelor of Engineering[/FONT][FONT=&quot] (B.E – Electronics & Communication)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](Srinivas Institute of Technology, Mangalore (Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum), India-2010[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Training [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]CDMA Basics, RF Fundamentals, ZTE BTS, NEC-Pasolink, ALCATEL MUX, BSC (Base Station Centre), MSC (Mobile Switching Centre).[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Personality Development and Management Skills Workshop conducted by Innovation Unlimited at Mangalore.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Personal Details [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Date of Birth : 22.05.1987 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Age : 24 Years[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Marital Status : Single[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Nationality : Indian[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Visa : Visit Visa [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Languages Known :

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]References [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Available on request[/FONT]

Replies

• Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    HAWK12HT wrote: »
    Umm does it matter that you kinda tailor your Resume/CV according to the country you are in? I think if you do than you will end up looking like every other CV from that country and you will lose an edge.

actually you'll look like the guy who didn't bother doing his homework. Also, in some countries certain resumes would be dismissed right away which would be okay in others. i.e. putting a photo on your CV is pretty standard in many EU countries. In the US this is a no-no. Luckily in the games industry US style resumes are widely accepted, although if a company has special requirements then follow them.

If anything then your resume should make me see that you're one of the fellows who go the extra mile!

There's no issue with long resumes, especially for technical people, as long as the stuff you list works in your favor - i.e. the company is looking for those skills. If the skills are technical, but totally irrelevant to the position (e.g. you have awesome Cobol or Fortran programming skills), then leave them off. If we'd really care about it then we'd have mentioned it somewhere in the job ad you're responding to. Unless the skill is related to something we actually do (if you did your homework and researched the company then you'll know) then no need to mention it.

EDIT: sorry, I just noticed - what you posted above is not your actual resume - it is someone else's? Anyway, don't just copy this 1:1. See below... (tip: look at some 3D artist resumes here from fellow polycounters, or on linkedin. I think they serve as better examples than your generic boring IT workers default template) I think your resume on the blog site looks much better but it lacks depth.

EDIT2: believe it or not, we do get resumes which have all the mistakes listed below. Stuff nobody cares about. Things that should be taken for granted. Weird people who leave it to us to figure out how we could use their bizarre skills.

Also leave obvious bla bla off. Sure you can handle MS office...who cannot? Unless you mastered the serial-letter-auto-addressing-label-printing feature and can explain it in depth then don't call yourself an MS Office expert. Plus, even if you can do this, we don't care unless you want to have an admin job.

Also, if any of your sentences has buzzwords like synergies, utilizing, leveraging and words which are not common in your every day speech, leave them off. Especially work on that super duper generic objective. If I come across this in anyone's resume the first question will be "why do you REALLY want to work for us?" because for every generic bla bla objective a company's marketing department has a generic bla bla company description. "we're a flexible, dynamic and growing bla bla bla just like every other company". But that's not what you want to hear either about your future employer, right? So cut the crap and say what you really want to say!

Also, have you noticed how EVERYONE else is flexible, dynamic, enthusiastic and a team player? Putting this on your resume doesn't make you stand out. It wastes space that could be used for listing more important skills that really make you stand out.

And ready to undergo training? I mean ...WHAT? are you implying there's other people who don't want to be trained? unbelievable! we sure gonna hire you just because of this. We like people who don't mind enduring our brutally harsh 3D bootcamps on some remote desert island ;) Again, don't waste space putting this in.

And most importantly, make your skills sound somehow useful to your future employer, even if they're not related. E.g. We don't want to figure out ourselves how a GSM technician fits into our art production pipeline (yes, I realized it is just an example, but we do get stuff like this here and there where we have to wonder). You have to tell us how non related skills can be an advantage to us! Convince us! :)

What works: talk about projects you did! team sizes, tech, obstacles, successes, notable implementation details! We can match this to projects and cases we have in our company and see if your experience would be of use! Sum it up or hint at it in the resume to make us curious, we'll then bring it up in the interview.

If you lack experience, it can also help if you talk about stuff you would like to do. Where you draw your inspiration. What is your plan to improve your own skills (you do have such a plan, right? ;) ). What do you expect to gain (other than money) from working for us? What's your grand goal, your aspirations - leadership, knowledge, skill mastery? (good things to put in your objective!)

Anyway, work on that resume and good luck!
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    My bad, did not give enough information :l and snap now this post became same as my earlier thread asking advice on Cv/Resume in general.
    Ok first I am in a state of panic cause i recently moved from UK to Middle East and been looking for work in my field. I have no issues finding other work so I am struggling only in my field.

I did saw too many artists CV and Resume and made something similar. Now I sent my CV to someone in Dubai and they suggested I make my CV like the one posted above. Yet my own CV got me a temporary job in Saudi Arab like within a week of coming here.

Yes I agree you have to make CV according to job posted and avoid all catchy words.

Also it would be nice if you can tell if my Resume is still ok or not on my blog? (link is on top of my first post) Cheers.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    at least add some projects. What did you do when you worked as 3D artist? modeling, texturing? What sort of assets? environments, props, characters? What sort of game or film or other type of project was it? What was the platform? Which software did you use? And at the interview be prepared to talk much more about the job - what you liked, what you didn't like. What you learned from it. How you interacted with the team. Your own workflow, etc. Did you supervise anyone? Did you mentor fellow artists? were you the guy who would write small scripts of suggest improvements? What made you special at your former company?

Now do this for all the jobs you listed.

As employer I really want to get a picture of what you did.
    If you do not mention this, then you will not even make it to the interview. Because if we invite everyone with a vague resume then we'll run out of money ;) (unless you have a super kickass folio that makes us forget that your resume just listed the bare essentials).

Make your resume interesting. Make it so we have an idea of how you would fit in. Tell us what sets you apart - i.e. your experience! And to understand your experience you have to be descriptive and not just use bullet point lists! Of course, we see your folio too. However weak(er) folios can be, to a certain degree, compensated with an interesting resume.

Now disregard this if you have a killer folio. But most people out there - the average joes of 3D - do not. And for them a really well though out resume can do a lot. And even if your folio may not be super awesome, you could be a hidden gem that just needs polish. But if we never invite you because of your boring resume then everyone will lose.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ok cool I have the CV with all that description you mention about what to add etc.
    This is my CV now after getting info from my previous thread about CV help.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] 3D Modeller with strong technical skills, Qualified in Multimedia, Software Development and Product Design. Experience in Project Management and Designing content for Video Games, Websites and Animations, I want to excel as a 3D Designer and focus on enhancing my skills.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]3D Artist[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Nottingham, United Kingdom 2011 – Present[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Xitol Softworks [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Responsible for modelling, texturing, lighting and environment art for a computer game known as Zone.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Managing 3D modelling team, communicating between 2D and 3D artists to ensure overall design is constant.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Solve technical issues related to modularity, normal maps, textures, scale and lighting in Unreal Development Kit.
    I utilise modular texturing workflow to create models and environments faster without losing visual details.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Using 3DS Max, Photoshop and NDo2 as primary tools. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Web Developer[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]- Glasgow, Scotland 2010 – 2012[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]United Home Stores [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Designed website layouts, web banners and edited pictures to comply with internet shopping guidelines. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Managed online shop at Amazon, E-bay and United Home Stores website, supervised warehouse team for maintaining stock and dispatching customer orders.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Increased sales by making user friendly customer oriented web design for online shopping and eye catching advertising banners, achieved Platinum Star E-Bay seller rating through team work.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Sales Assistant[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]- Glasgow, Scotland 2007 – 2010[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Next / Staples[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]3D Generalist[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]- Karachi, Pakistan 2004 – 2006[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]ESoft [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Due to my passion for 3D Art, I started self learning 3DS Max and later completed a short computer graphics training course. It provided me an opportunity to work on several creative projects.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Created best quality fly through 3D visualisations of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]office interiors, polo ground and residential areas.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Mamta Baby Care [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Made a thirty seconds long animated television commercial for baby care products. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Used 3DS Max, Photoshop and After-effects for modelling, texturing and post processing.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Project broadcasted during prime time on Pakistan Television PTV. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Pakistan Navy [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I worked on high tech navy simulator software as part of an art team, developed highly detailed models and textures for ships currently in-service using 3DS Max and Photoshop. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Performed simulator testing to identify visual errors and report to quality control department.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Arena Multimedia [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]As an outstanding student well known for conscientiousness in the assigned tasks, I was offered internship as 3DS Max Instructor to teach polygon modelling, lighting, materials and rendering.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Explained Three Point Lighting, Edit Poly Mesh, UVW unwrap and Camera positioning in greater detail. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I demonstrated step by step car modelling and rendering techniques to students as a bonus tutorial. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Higher National Diploma 3D Product Design City of Glasgow College - Scotland 2011 – 2012 [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]BSc Internet Software Development Glasgow Caledonian University - Scotland 2007 – 2009 [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Advanced Diploma in Multimedia Arena Multimedia - Pakistan 2004 – 2006 [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Key Skills[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Proficient in content creation for Video Games, 2D / 3D Art, Websites, Television and Print Media [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Adaptive to change, give attention to detail, self-learning 2D / 3D graphics software[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Ability to come up with original concepts and ideas and illustrate them[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Focus on achieving targets, either individually or as part of a team[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Excellent in communicating with others and project management[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Capable of computer hardware maintenance and installation[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Extensive knowledge of Lighting, Rendering and Texturing[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Practical experience in marketing and retail[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Achievements[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]First prize winner, twice in 3D animation and modelling category in digital arts exhibitions, Karachi Expo / Arena[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Award for best workshop on modelling, materials and lighting in Autodesk 3DS Max, Arena Multimedia [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Information Technology certificate for completing six month training course, Pak College [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Best performance award for contributing digital art at www.cgramp.com[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Autodesk 3DS Max Professional training certificate, Arena Multimedia [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Promoted to team captain for an online British gaming community [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Software [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]3DS Max | Photoshop | Illustrator | V-ray | After Effects | Encore | Unreal Development Kit[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Z-brush | Maya | Solidworks | Premiere | Mental Ray | Afterburn | Fume FX [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Personal Interests[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Learning about new cultures and broadening my knowledge of the world[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Sharing my knowledge with other artists [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Building and painting scale models[/FONT]
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I personally like reading short concise resumes, or resumes that highlight the main points and then give more detailed info if you want to read it. I personally don't like reading long flowery descriptions that sing peoples praises, that's what phone interviews and references are about. Tell me what your title was and who you worked for and then give a description. Leave them something to ask you in an interview or they will know all they need to and you just stare at each other for 20min =P

Spell check, there are a few words that are misspelled, "modelling" instead of "modeling". Some S's where there should be Z's. There are also some capitalized words that don't need to be, "Three Point Lighting". Single spaced or double spaced pick one. TRY to keep it to a single printed page but its not critical.

I personally think that at some point some of the old crap jobs you did for knock around money should be dropped and the formatting could be improved so its easier to read. You seem to have enough experience to be able to list only things that are relevant.

There also is some redundant info and fluff that can be cut.
    Most people look at the art in your portfolio first, if it passes then I move onto the resume and the first thing they typically want to know is what kind of software do you prefer to use and if you have any experience or are open to working in a secondary package that they might prefer.

You don't really need to tell me you're proficient in modeling lighting and rendering you're portfolio already told me that, its how I got here, let it speak for its self.

I would probably format it something like this...
    Software
    · 3DS Max | Photoshop | Illustrator | V-ray | After Effects | Encore | Unreal Development Kit
    · Z-brush | Maya | Solidworks | Premiere | Mental Ray | Afterburn | Fume FX
    Key Skills
    · Adaptive to change, give attention to detail, self-learning 2D / 3D graphics software.
    · Excellent in communicating with others and project management.
    · Extensive knowledge of lighting, rendering and texturing.
    Work Experience
    Xitol Softworks
    3D Artist - Nottingham, United Kingdom 2011 – Present
    · Utilizing modular design principles I created environment art for a game known as Zone.
    · Solve technical pipeline issues.
    United Home Stores
    Web Developer- Glasgow, Scotland 2010 – 2012
    · Designed customer oriented web content.
    · Supervised warehouse team.
    ESoft
    Title- City, Country Start – End
    · Created fly through 3D visualizations of office interiors, polo ground and residential areas.
    Mamta Baby Care
    3D Generalist- ???, Pakistan 20?? – 20??
    · I made a thirty second animated television commercial for baby care products to be broadcast on PTV.
    Pakistan Navy
    3D Generalist- ???, Pakistan 20?? – 20??
    · I helped model and texture ships to be used in high end simulator testing.
    Arena Multimedia
    3dsmax instructor- ???, Pakistan 20?? – 20??
    · Due to my academic performance, I was offered an internship as a 3DS Max Instructor
    Education
    · Higher National Diploma 3D Product Design City of Glasgow College - Scotland 2011 – 2012
    · BSc Internet Software Development Glasgow Caledonian University - Scotland 2007 – 2009
    · Advanced Diploma in Multimedia Arena Multimedia - Pakistan 2004 – 2006
    Achievements
    · First prize winner, twice in 3D animation and modeling category in digital arts exhibitions, Karachi Expo / Arena
    · Award for best workshop on modeling, materials and lighting in Autodesk 3DS Max, Arena Multimedia
    · Information Technology certificate for completing six month training course, Pak College.
    · Best performance award for contributing digital art at www.cgramp.com.
    · Autodesk 3DS Max Professional training certificate, Arena Multimedia.
    Personal Interests
    · Learning about new cultures and broadening my knowledge of the world
    · Sharing my knowledge with other artists
    · Building and painting scale models
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Thanks Mark for your time, gonna work on it as recommend by you and Kwaramm :)

when someone said to me try Polycount for games stuff and support, I was not expecting such an awesome place. Kudos to the developers and helpful (no trolls) folks :)
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    you that's a really nice concise resume here. Be prepared to talk about each point at an interview. I would however try to mention the software you used at each job. This can work against you if you know many programs but never used them in a professional setting, but the other way round it can be a good thing.
    There's many people who just rattle down an impressive list of software and then you find out during asking that their real pro working knowledge is limited to 1 or two packages. this is annoying, especially when you wasted time inviting them.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Yea that is why the software that im good with without checking online for tutorials :D are on top row and ones i know and have limited knowledge are on second. Hmm I would add "primary" "secondary" type list.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    will adding too many work dates not add the impression ive been hopping jobs? as a 3D generalist for 2 years I did multiple projects + internship. Cause i did mention as separate dates before and someone in recruiting agency mentioned it looks bad :l
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    S instead of Z :l , well I belong to Glasgow will that suffice? (Mind your language reference) :D
    so "S" overall, State side "Z" will that do?

Either way the "S, Z" its another conflict between UK vs US. I better stay out of it :)

Also word messes around with spelling of "modelling" << its correct "modeling" << is wrong :/
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    [FONT=&quot]Objective[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Seeking a position in arts / design field where my past experience and skills would help contribute in the success of company. Excel as a 3D designer and enhance my skills further.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Profile[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Professional Designer with 6 years experience covering the fields of Digital Art, Retail Sales and Web Development.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Expertise in Product Design, Information Technology, Human Computer Interaction and solving technical issues. [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Specialization in content creation for Video Games, 2D / 3D Art, Websites, Television and Print Media. [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Adaptive to change, give attention to detail, self-learning new design methods and software.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Proficient in use of 3DS Max, V-ray, Photoshop, NDo2 and After Effects.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Ability to come up with original concepts and ideas and illustrate them.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Focus on achieving targets, either individually or as part of a team.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Excellent in communicating with others and project management.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Knowledge of networks and operating system troubleshooting.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Capable of computer hardware maintenance and installation.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Extensive knowledge of lighting, rendering and texturing.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Team leading experience and high organizational skills.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Implement decisions and stable under pressure. [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Practical experience in marketing and retail. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Project[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Tiso[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Glasgow, Scotland 2012[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Researched and developed a fully functional medical kit prototype for hiking, as part of Product Design course. [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Designed with industry standard materials and manufacturing procedures.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Higher National Diploma HND 3D Product Design, City of Glasgow College - Scotland 2011 – 2012 [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Bachelor of Computer Science BSc in Internet Software Development, Caledonian University - Scotland 2007 – 2009 [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Bachelor of Computer Science BSc in Multimedia, Arena Multimedia - Pakistan 2004 – 2006 [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Achievements[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]First prize winner, twice in 3D animation and modelling category in digital arts exhibitions, Karachi Expo / Arena.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Award for best workshop on modelling, materials and lighting in Autodesk 3DS Max, Arena Multimedia. [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Information Technology certificate for completing six month training course, Pak College. [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Best performance award for contributing digital art at www.cgramp.com.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Autodesk 3DS Max Professional training certificate, Arena Multimedia. [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Promoted to team captain for an online British gaming community. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Software [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]3DS Max | Photoshop | Illustrator | V-ray | After Effects | Encore | Unreal Development Kit[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Z-brush | Maya | Solidworks | Premiere | Mental Ray | Afterburn | Fume FX | Real Flow | Final Render[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]3D Artist[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Nottingham, United Kingdom 2011 – Present[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Xitol Softworks [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Utilizing modular design principles I create environment art for a computer game known as Zone.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Manage 3D modelling team and project data.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Solve technical pipeline issues. [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Using 3DS Max, Photoshop, NDo2 and Unreal Development Kit. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Web Developer[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Glasgow, Scotland 2010 – 2012[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]United Home Stores [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Designed website layouts, web banners and edited pictures to comply with internet shopping guidelines. [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Supervised warehouse team, managed online shop at Amazon, E-Bay and United Home Stores website.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Increased sales by making customer oriented web design, achieved platinum star E-Bay seller rating. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Sales Assistant[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Glasgow, Scotland 2007 – 2010[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Staples [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Sold highest number of business reward schemes to customers, offered top quality service at Copy and Print centre.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Supervised placement of promotional merchandise and efficiently processed high value transactions.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Delivered support for technology department by assisting and advising customers about items. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Next[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Joined as Christmas staff for a month, my organisational skill was recognised and contract was extended further. [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Achieving weekly financial targets and gained excellent customer service rating.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Prioritizing and managing customer enquiries.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]3D Generalist[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - Karachi, Pakistan 2004 – 2006[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Arena Multimedia [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Due to my academic performance, I was offered an internship as a 3DS Max instructor.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Explained three point lighting, edit poly mesh, UVW unwrap and camera positioning in greater detail. [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]I demonstrated step by step car modelling and rendering techniques as a bonus tutorial. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]ESoft [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Created fly through 3D visualisations of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]office interiors, polo ground and residential areas.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Coordinate with clients to ensure quality results. [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Used 3DS Max, Photoshop and After-effects.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Mamta Baby Care [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Made a thirty seconds animated television commercial for baby care products. [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Project broadcasted during prime time on Pakistan Television PTV. [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Used 3DS Max, Photoshop and After-effects.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Pakistan Navy [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]I helped model and texture ships for high end simulator.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Performed simulator testing and troubleshoot visual errors.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Used 3DS Max and Photoshop. [/FONT]
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
    HAWK12HT wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]Objective[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Seeking a position in arts / design field where my past experience and skills would help contribute in the success of company. Excel as a 3D designer and enhance my skills further.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Profile[/FONT]

· [FONT=&quot]Professional Designer with 6 years experience covering the fields of Digital Art, Retail Sales and Web Development.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Expertise in Product Design, Information Technology, Human Computer Interaction and solving technical issues. [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Specialization in content creation for Video Games, 2D / 3D Art, Websites, Television and Print Media. [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Adaptive to change, give attention to detail, self-learning new design methods and software.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Proficient in use of 3DS Max, V-ray, Photoshop, NDo2 and After Effects.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Ability to come up with original concepts and ideas and illustrate them.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Focus on achieving targets, either individually or as part of a team.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Excellent in communicating with others and project management.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Knowledge of networks and operating system troubleshooting.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Capable of computer hardware maintenance and installation.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Extensive knowledge of lighting, rendering and texturing.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Team leading experience and high organizational skills.[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Implement decisions and stable under pressure. [/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Practical experience in marketing and retail. [/FONT]

You are repeating yourself here quite alot and should break it down to a few primary skills and a few secondary skills. Not all skills are relevant for a specific job.

For instance, if you're looking for a game art specific position:

Primary skills
    • Lighting, rendering, modelling and texturing for real time game engines
    • Enviroment art focused.
    Secondary skills
    • Concept design
    • Offline-rendering
    Thats it. You should only state what you can do in terms of practical knowledge that is relevant to the position you're aplying for.

How you do them and with which tools you do it, you put in the rest of your CV, such as Mark showed you up there (which you have honed to a larger extent).

Don't try and describe yourself as an employee to much in your listing, save that for your tailor made letter for that specific job. That means, things like how you communcating, if you are a team player, if you are self-motivated, if you are focused...goes into your letter, and even then you don't put things in like "Knowledge of networks and operating systems troubleshooting" if you are looking for a game art specific position"

You want to clearly show what makes you proficent to get this job, not what you have achieved so far.

EDIT: And oh yeh, as Mark noted, your portfolio is the gateway anyway, make sure to remember that.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Hi Sam, thank you for input. You are correct i added few things extra like "knowledge of networks" etc. Reason behind this is this CV is for Middle East, and I have gone through several CVs of people who got the jobs there yet they have to mention ton loads of stuff not job related.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Kwramm wrote: »
    i.e. putting a photo on your CV is pretty standard in many EU countries.

I have never seen this done, ever.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ambershee well I have few CV with photos :D (of some engineers and IT folks) working in Dubai. :D . Yes they got jobs and they even mentioned fathers name and sex!. (its a standard here in UAE the way i see it lol )
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    ambershee wrote: »
    I have never seen this done, ever.

It's very common in Europe. I have a photo on my resum
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    The colors make it impossible to read. And its super nice to be able to grab text and copy and paste which the image definitely prevents
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    o.O why would someone want to copy paste my resume text?
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    to call you, to email you, to send a selection to the team, to put you into a spreadsheet with your info?
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    You could always keep the resume you have on your site for looks but add links so that employers can choose either word document or pdf. It cant hurt giving them options. Even might be helpful to add a link to your linkedin page if you have one. You can view what I did as an example. http://www.chris-3d.com/about

Please excuse my old resume and such. It was made before I got my first job. I might actually take some advice from this thread in updating it.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Glad this thread is useful to others :), hmm Carbonmade site looks like a good option too with a blog :D. Thanks for sharing Snakedoctor.

well i attach both pdf, word CV in email, though having it on site not a bad idea. (its just i feel awkward that anyone can download it without me ever knowing lol) But guess i have to try doing that :D
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Yeah, that needs to be text and not an image. As an image, your text is subject to compression, which can make it look bad. For an artist candidate, i would immediately call this out and unless the artwork with the resume is spectacular, would pass. Also, in the age of tablets, iphones, and millions of other devices using multiple resolutions, the image could require a lot of panning or be auto-scaled down too small to read.

For personal info, you only need your name and contact info. It's nice you have nationality, but i think the birthday is going a little far :) I like your icons.

Have some comments on the Profile section. It looks like you organized your Profile elements by size - which is a nice attention to detail, however it means that the information is not organized by relevancy to the position you're applying for. Would prune some of this down some, having a lot of bullets does not make you more impressive. For example - "Implement decisions and stable under pressure" is far more important to me for a 3d artist than "knowledge of networks and operating systems," but much less important than "Extensive knowledge of lighting, rendering, and texturing." These bullets are also very verbose, and may have too many "flavor" words. Ex: "Extensive knowledge..." "Excellent in communicating with..." You could cut any bullets that refer to software, as you have that in another section.

(NOTE: this is another example of someone wanting to copy/paste your resume, when you're asking for feedback on it, so people don't have to retype :P)

Mark suggested it above, but I would format your Experience by:

COMPANY - DATES
    TITLE
    <job>

and not

TITLE - DATES
    COMPANY
    <job>

I'd give more priority to the Software section, and put it before work experience, and after profile listing things in order of the most relevant to the job.

I would also urge you to consider another way to display your work other than a blog. Blogs are horrible ways to show your art. They're easy to get and make, but also will rarely do your BODY of work justice, but they'll show individual things nicely. Its possible to make it work, but I don't think its worth pursuing. You could make a custom page of the blog and create it in Dreamweaver/write it while keeping the architecture intact so you don't have to do backend stuff.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Hi Moose, Thanks for information :). Yup cutting down some stuff from profile as you suggested, realize I am sending out CV with same stuff so it should be like a small snapshot of me. As for Birthday :D well i am removing it now, but here in middle east its a must with age section and a photo plus mentioning of marital status :D.

Also what Mark and you suggested about displaying work experience, I find it looking bad showing too many dates, I read somewhere on CV help sites that it can look bad. Sort of give an expression of you as a job hopper :/. I am leaving it to explain more during interview that they were short contract works I got during studies :).
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    np man! Useful info about the birthday :) If its required, ignore me!

Should have been a little more clear on the work experience stuff, if you're concerned about date spam ok, but the important part is to put the Company first then the title you held at the company, not the other way around.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Well all suggestions are falling into place nicely , Polycount should now have a dedicated CV / Resume help service. Its insane, i was not expecting response from Industry pros :D.

hmm so why Company name should come first, why that is too important. Me kinda following Linkedin and Behance style of showing work experience so it is all consistent on my CV/Resume, blog and Linkedin. If you know what i mean.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/fahad-khawaja-muhammad/23/891/923

and birthday now removed from blog :D, its on PDF/ Word doc though not by choice but by the rules of the land.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    I'm not sure, its just the way I was always taught (MLA format? don't have my handbook handy) - maybe its a personal preference too. It can go either way I think, just depends on how you phrase the question and how you answer it. Its a minor issue really, probably not worth splitting hairs over.

"What positions has this person held, and at what company?"

vs

"Where did this person work, and what did they do while there?"

Think if you had more than one position at a company, it would be cleaner to organize it by Company instead of position, for example say you were a "QA Lead" at 2 companies, and an "Artist" at the 2nd one, and a "Senior 3d Animator" at the third. using both formats (linkedIn vs the other way):

Senior 3d Animator )1882 - present)
    Company C
    Responsible for animating the slinkies in Super Slinky Action 2.

Artist (1881 - 1882)
    Company B
    Built 3 Environment sets and Levels for Ultimate Waterfall Simulator 2

QA LEAD (1875 - 1881)
    Company B
    Responsible for Leading a small QA team on Ultimate Waterfall Simulator 1.

QA (1872 - 1875)
    Company A
    Entered bugs, tracked bugs with artists and engineers, ran performance tests, managed playtests, created a solid feedback loop between QA and developers on Sew Champion 2: Runway Edition.

or

Company C
    Senior 3d Animator (1882 - present)
    Responsible for animating the slinkies in Super Slinky Action 2.

Company B
    Artist (1881 - 1882)
    Built 3 Environment sets and Levels for Ultimate Waterfall Simulator 2
    QA Lead (1875 - 1881)
    Responsible for Leading a small QA team on Ultimate Waterfall Simulator 1.

Company A
    QA (1872 - 1875)
    Entered bugs, tracked bugs with artists and engineers, ran performance tests, managed playtests, created a solid feedback loop between QA and developers on Sew Champion 2: Runway Edition.

another resource: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/564/01/
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Oh nice, cool articles you found. Thanks again for sharing. Agreed it could be preference on how you go about job title and company name. I like the first one Title and than company name. Reason well I think it would be more important for new employer to see if he/she (the employee) fits my job vacancy or not rather than read a company name first than a title. Another reason, umm you (not you moose :D) as in figure of speech might be working for the competitor company and may be the new boss would not like it :D. (yea its far fetched idea but we live in strange world).

and THANK YOU ALL (yes I am screaming in joy) cause I just got a job interview in Dubai after making adjustments to my CV/Resume. So I am hopeful to secure a job later on in my field.

However :D yes there is always a BUT despite the fact that i clearly mention my current location and visa status, the company called me for interview on same day (today) ( now i hate my life).