Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low Poly Sci Fi Environment

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
Hey guys so I have spamming the Low Poly thread for a while but it's time I made a thread!

I wanted to try some hand painted skills so I thought I would make an environment. It started off as just the hatch in the corridor and slowly expanded from there.Then I was thinking I would try to make my scene a bit more of a game and a bit more interactive just to try and stand out really.

So here it is! I still need to speed up the animations for they don't end up delaying the player!

This is the video which shows what I am going for.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPQMl9pK3lw"]Update - YouTube[/ame]

and some shots! Any crit would be awesome!

WIP_1_zps61cb2247.png

Hallway_zps3c6758a1.png

WIP_3_zps50777a36.png

WIP_4_zps36213256.png

WIP_5_zpsdd619b8f.png

Replies

• SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! So I have an update! I have finished the hallway and now just have the bog room left to do!

I have changed the pumps because I didn't really like the design of the others, they looked a bit flimsy. I have also animated the lights in the engine room now as well which can be seen in the video as well as animated pumps. I need to fix up some of the parts of the pumps, its a bit rough in places!

Finbished Hallway

screen-2_zps6b98f8af.png

and animations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqyaLTrWxcs&feature=youtu.be
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Hugh, that is the pan at some point!

Long time no update!

Finally started on the last room and went through a couple of iterations of the pumps but finally got something I liked.

Screen2_zpsacf66661.png

Screen1_zpscffdd99c.png

and the pumps in motion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn0JfvXXZqE&feature=youtu.be

also a little OT but I spent a few days making this as well!

Final_Pres_zps630866a8.png
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update on the texturing, should be done by tonight! I think it might be getting a bit too noisy though?

screen-2_zps060b32bc.png
  • some3dguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is coming along really nicely!
    A few things jumped into my mind though:
    How about giving that last room its own color scheme? Right now it somehow feels "just like another of those floors" because of the color distribution being too uniform. Although you have very distinct shapes going on and therefore a point of interest in this room, you are not guiding the viewers eye to that point with your color choices. You maybe could add another color to the mix and make the centerpiece of that room pop a little more, but that may proof to be too much. You also could try and separate the different elements (walls, centerpiece) a bit more using the existing colors.
    Apart from that, I am not too fond of the specular shine you painted into the textures for the wall panelling in this last room. Especially not on those orangey ones, I feel the highlights might be a bit too desaturated/too white and to harsh.

All that being said, don't let me discourage you. I really think this whole project is ace and has - as I've stated before - great potential. I wish I had the patience to work on a personal project like that. :)

Regards,

some
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey!

Thank you so much for the advice I really appreciate it!
    A different colour scheme is a great idea, I actually planned to do that at the start but never followed through. Did you mean change all the colours or just the orange? I was thinking about just changing the orange to a blue or something? I shall go over my colour distribution again and try and make things pop a bit more!

Yeah I agree with the spec, It does look a bit out of place. I will tone it down!

Thanks so much again for your comments!

Ok so I quickly went and changed the colour, I think it might be a bit too intense but maybe along the right lines?

screen-2_zps936ff140.png
  • some3dguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woah, that reminds me of those old days when black light was the main light source in a nightclub! :D
    Right now I'd say the room is a bit too dark overall, especially when comparing it to the other rooms and floors. My eye is heavily drawn towards the piping on the walls and those panels on the floor. You may want to consider what is important in this room - most certainly not the piping but the bigger stuctures!

Keeping your original colors, I thought about something along those lines:

658VuY6.jpg

Excuse the downright awful paintover, I just wanted to get my point across but was too lazy to grab my wacom. :) I added some lighting to the tank thingy to make it pop against the blue and green walls. You could tint the vertical pipes below the platform in more a subtle orange color as opposed to the green that I chose. This would probably visually connect the platform to the rest of the structure even more. Looking at my paintover, I'd say that the platform still is "floating" too much.

Hope that all makes sense to you.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awwww thats awesome man! I really love your more saturated colours! I might have to steal them! Thanks so much for the help!
  • maverickhornet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maverickhornet polycounter lvl 9
    Looking lovely Dan :)
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    I saw your animations in the Waywo thread - really nice.
    I love the style and colors.
    Did you plan on some particle effects and more lightning stuff or will you
    keep it very saturated ?
    The Drones are great ! Got inspired ? ;)
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Noel <3

Hey Alpha, Yeah I want to do some custom lighting and some particle effects as well, just to try and get a better atmosphere!

Also completely my bad, every time I have linked the drones before I have linked that exact image! I just started warhammer and made that to test out colour schemes!

So I switched around the colours and much prefer what I have!

screen_1_zps76a98e0e.png

screen_2_zpsd2230ba8.png

screen_3_zps66b5fdca.png
  • some3dguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent, party time! :thumbup:
    That last room could use a bit more detail love on the floor and the tank but I take it that it is not finished yet. Other than that this has improved greatly! You certainly leveled up doing this - pun intended. :)

some
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some - Yeah I have done more texturing! Just a bit more to go! I could not have improved it without your help so thanks so much!

So yeah I have nearly finished all then texturing, then I need to focus on particle effects and lighting!

screen2-2_zpsb0897657.png

screen-2_zps1a88107d.png

and a video of the top of the tank, I dont know if looks right though!

http://youtu.be/iIyyL310t6w
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK so I am going to wrap this up. There was more I wanted to do with it but the whole thing was pretty impromptu and I just want to move on now! I have learnt a ton from this and will come back to hand painted-ness soon but for now I want my normal maps back! I do love me some baking!

A massive thanks to everyone who comments and special thanks to some3dguy whos crit really turned this around!

Flythrough/Render

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue4lSw2yD_w&quot;]Render - YouTube[/ame]

Screens

Screen7_zps579aa990.png

Screen6_zpse3220852.png

Screen5_zpsba3612c4.png

Screen4_zps3bdf4b8b.png

Screen3_zps2b66ac01.png

Screen2_zps818bcbcb.png

Screen1_zpsc0d6bec2.png
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Came out excellent, man!
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Sweet Dan, came out nicely! Bet you have learnt a few tricks doing a scene in that style, gogo next portfolio piece!
  • some3dguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now thats outstanding, very well done Sir! This has come a looong way since the first prop you showed and now it makes for a very fine and interesting portfolio piece! Hats off! I really like how this turned out.
    Glad I could be helpful in some way and thanks for the flattering words, but actually YOU made it happen and had the patience to go through all of this. :poly121: