Home Technical Talk

Zbrush 4R5 unmovable (re)topology vertices

keyframe
Offline / Send Message
MeintevdS keyframe
I wasn't gonna make a new thread but I couldn't find an existing one and it was getting really really frustrating. So here is my cry for help.

Two issues I'm running into trying to retopo my model so I can create clothing.

#1: For some odd reason sometimes the vertices I place just don't seem to connect. It seems to work fine for the adaptive skin, but it's really annoying to work with. It looks like any other vertex, but there are really two on top of each other, when I try to move the vertex it splits into two rather than one:
unconnected.png

So far the only "work around" is to just delete both the broken vertices and draw them again.

#2: I don't know why or when it happens, but sometimes vertices I place are unmovable when I come back to them later.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong? It's really doubling the amount of work I have to do because if often have to remove two strips of freshly placed polygons because all the vertices are either double or unmovable.

By the way, I use Q to enter edit mode and place new vertices and W to move around previously places vertices.

Thanks!

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    When drawing verts you have to be patient with each click to make sure you're correctly snapping to the right vert. Otherwise you only end up placing one close to it. When that happens deleting and redrawing the edge is probably the only / best workaround.

I haven't experienced the second issue, though I can see it happening along the center line if you have symmetry turned on.
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Hmm I'm used to snapping being pretty aggressive in most programs, so maybe I should be more patient while placing them. At least now I know it's not because I'm doing something weird (other than being impatient :p)

And it's not just the center line that doesn't work it's everywhere. Must be something I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for the reply, at least now I know to pay more attention to be sure I snap them!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    increase the brush size, doesn't this improve the snapping?
  • trebor777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trebor777 polycounter lvl 10
    #1: :/ I dont know, maybe #2 might help.
    #2: you might have "masked" the vertices when you might have pressed ctrl during the retopo.
    if you unmask(while still doing the retopo) on an empty area, it might solve your problem.
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Thanks Ruz, sounds like something that might work. I'll give it a try!

@trebor777, Ah sounds plausible. I do press ctrl a ton during retopo so wouldn't surprise me if I messed up at some point. Next time I run into it I'll try to unmask. Thanks!
  • theslingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just had this problem today at work. Was going to ask for help but found out you could mask in retopo...

The only problem is now there is no way that I know of to know which points are not connected anymore. So i basically had to clean everything...