Home Technical Talk

Unity 3D Island Scale

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Cheathem polycounter lvl 6
Hey everyone.Id really appreciate it if someone could help me out here..
So I have this island QZfO2fM.png
And I need to scale it up at least by half.The problem is,I cant find an easy way to do it.If a select every thing and scale it up,every thing just scales its self individually on its own pivot.And I cant tell it all to scale form one point.Ive also tried scaling the island up by parenting everything to an empty object and scaling the empty.Again,same result d:

Any suggestions?

Oh yeah,and the reason I need to scale every thing up is because im working on to small of a scale and its giving me problems.Like shadow and terrain issues.Example:yn87gaH.png and terrain doing this:One view,jHu8vOD.jpg And then another view:xVT48pw.png

Thanks in advance everyone.

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    if you are using maya you can group everything then scale the group, that should get rid of double transformations caused by parenting.

another option is to change the scale in the fbx importer inside of unity
  • Cheathem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey MikeF,Thanks for replying.
    But Every things inside unity's engine d: There's a lot of separate pieces put together within unity.
  • Synthesizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synthesizer polycounter lvl 11
    Did you make sure you selected only the empty gameobject after parenting all the objects under it? That should give you the desired effect.
  • Cheathem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup,I thought it would too.But it scales every object on its own pivot regardless..Im not sure why it would but it does d:
  • Cheathem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This may not be a scale problem actually,but scaling it up is the only thing that ive found that will fix all the bugs im experiencing.So i guess that's my only choice.But if anyone has another suggestion for fixing the problems i'm having without scaling,then that'd be awesome! And so would that person ;)
  • curzed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i know exactly what you mean, im not sure about the bugs - the wooden house looks like a lightmap issue? double check import settings

When trying to scale group pieces, you might be able to get away with changing pivot from local to global. Or select everything and make a prefab out of it - then it should scale as one
  • Cheathem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey curzed,Thanks for the suggestion but im not using lightmaps,the prefab solution is a pretty good idea though.Someone on twitter suggested that too,seems like it will work in theory.Ill post the results as soon as i get around to trying it.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think I'd recommend scaling everything in your scene. That will have issues with performance - it will have to scale up everything before doing stuff. Non-uniformly scaled items can also cause issues with batching, so be careful there.

Really everything should be built to real-world scale otherwise you'll have issues with the physics (which uses earth gravity of -9.81m/s/s and assume that 1 unity in Unity is 1 metre). And use as little scaling inside of Unity as possible (i.e. only use it on things you actually need to scale).

You can change the import scale of your meshes, which is your best bet. That will "hard code" the scale. Then you could write a script to move their world transforms out from world origin so that the new scales don't break the positioning of all the objects.
  • bac9-flcl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bac9-flcl polycounter lvl 10
    Actually, a GameObject scale should affect all contents of it without any fancy individual scaling you are reporting. Are you completely sure you have actually moved your objects under the parenting of another entity and scaled that entity? Objects will only scale individually if they are selected individually.

In Unity, I never had to resort to extreme methods like script Farfarer is proposing.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wasn't saying that was a fix for the scaling.

But if you scale your assets using the import settings (or in your 3D app) so they're the correct real-life scale (i.e. fix this scaling issue properly) they're just going to get bigger but remain in the same place as the mesh scale changes but the object position remains the same... so you'd need to fix the positions afterwards or end up re-placing everything.
  • Cheathem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bac9-flcl:I double checked to see if i was doing it wrong,still got the same result..The thing is,when i select the game object(which everything is parented to) it also selects everything parented to it.Am i missing something,a setting or option or something?

Farfarer: Thanks Farfarer,but If i had to do what your proposing, then Id have a great deal more of work ahead of me..I already have tons of objects in the scene,as well as multiple terrains.So id really like to avoid that solution until ive ran out of options d: I really should have planned ahead,I didnt know the scale would give me errors.

Btw: Has anyone experienced these issues too? scale related or not? Do you guys even think these is a scale problem,im starting to doubt what my problem is.This is the scale of a capsule compared to my scene.(i did not edit the capsule,i just created it)
    SwTLRGn.png
    From what i know,a capsule is 2 units tall or 2 meters.So it seems that my scene is actually larger then normal..? "everything i know is a lie!!" But if thats so,then why would scaling up things fix all my bugs? I just dont get it.. If anyone wants to propose a theory and or answer to my problem,id greatly appreciate it!
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the z-fighting bugs are due to the accuracy of the depth buffer. Reducing the camera's far clip plane will improve that. Although might cause far things to drop out more quickly if everything is already large.

The shadow issue is part normal shadow issue but possibly you need to up the shadow resolution or reduce the shadow distance to improve the quality.
  • Cheathem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks Farfarer,the clipping plane helped with,well some clipping.But Nothing helped the shadows.I tried different quality settings,changed the shadow distance,and messed with a few other setting.Still no progress d:
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try decreasing the bias of the light that's casting shadows? I think it's 0.05 by default, 0.01 might give better results (at the expense of other glitches, but generally they can be easier to cope with).

It's a tricky thing to balance.
  • Cheathem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yup,already tried it,didnt fix it.. d:
    I think im gonna post my problems on unity's forums as well.
    Someone over there may have experience with this problem."wouldn't that be nice."
    If i find a solution,ill make sure to post it here too in case someone else wants to know what it is or is having similar problems.

Thanks for the help so far Farfarer and everyone else.